1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plugin's lack of spare tire.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Cherazi, Mar 23, 2013.

?

Prius Plugin's lack of spare tire.

Poll closed Mar 30, 2013.
  1. I was informed by the sales person

46.7%
  2. I do not care

73.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, run flats absolutely give worse fuel economy. and according to tire rack.com, there's only one tire that's run flat in the PiP size, and it's not LRR. however for the size on my B-class, there are 25 run flat choices, of which 5 are LRR, so the two are not mutually exclusive. $130-230/tire for me.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be interesting to see testing on these run flat LRR tyres vs regular LRR. and not just distance, but all the parameters.

Merged.

great info, but where is the tyre variable?

#222 bisco, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you see the very limited selection of run-flats it gives you an idea of the market reaction to the concept. Market reaction is not infallible, sometimes a product can be good and go the way of the dodo anyway, but I'm guessing there's a lot of factors stacked against run-flats.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I posted this a few years ago:
    This is the flat kit which I keep in my Prius. You can pick this stuff up at any auto parts store. A tire plug is vastly better than "tire goo," which often fails to work and often damages the expensive tire pressure sensors.

Since writing this, I've added an item: An AAA membership car. You have a car without a spare. AAA membership is great, because you can't patch a sidewall cut.

1) Tire Inflator: The inflator which comes with the car ONLY works if it's injecting the goo that comes with it.

2) Tubeless Tire Plug Kit

3) 3 Piece Plier set: Pliers for pulling the nail from the tire, and diagonal cutters for cutting the plug once it's installed.

4) Gloves so you don't get filthy

When you pull the nail/screw, pay attention to its angle, because you want the plug to go in at the same angle. You don't want to punch in a new or enlarged hole.

[​IMG]

#224 Rebound, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...and how long does it takes you plug and inflate "a repairable flat" verses the time it takes to swap out a spare under identical conditions?
    ...and AAA (tow truck) for a flat tire...WOW. You just lost the whole day...if you're that lucky.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The new Bolt is going to have self-plugging Michelins. Don't know the model/specs/sizes but those should be interesting to watch and see how they work in the real world.

Merged

If it's on the inside treads of a rear tire, it's typically easier in the long run to remove the wheel to have adequate working room. BTDT

#226 fotomoto, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    lensovet likes this.
  7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sure, but the car doesn't come with a spare. I've had my PiP for three years, 80,000 miles and no flats. And AAA is useful for more than just a flat tire. It's not practical for me to keep a donut in the hatch area. If that works for you, sure, do that.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not reflected. That chart was based on the stock tires (Bridgestone Ecopia EP422) that came on the '11. '12 and '13 S and SV also come w/those tires. AFAIK, it doesn't seem like there are any tires for the Leaf w/significantly lower rolling resistance.

I haven't followed the size changes on the years after that... as I recall '14 SV or '15 SV eventually got bigger wheels of the '13 SL and thus different tires.

#228 cwerdna, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Respects...but perhaps my time is more valuable to me...and not making it to work because I had a flat...:ROFLMAO:

10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The main criticisms I've seen online have been
    1) less durable than regular tires (not sure how that's possible, maybe OEM vs. not?)
    2) rough handling and loud road noise (seems fine for me in my Benz, certainly much lower than anything the Prius could offer)
    3) high cost

Merged.

The other factor of course is need. Historically most cars had spares so there was no need for these tires. Maybe in a few years that will change.

11. CharlesMcCarty

CharlesMcCarty New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No joke. apparently using the provided onboard goop repair will disable the low pressure tire sensor, as well. I bought a steel wheel with a comparable cheaper tire, about $100, since I never liked the donuts anyway.

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    smart move!(y) where do you keep it?

13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what was this in reference to?

Merged.

I will never buy another car w/o a spare. The 2012 was the first year for the Pip, so I was committed . I did manage to get ahold of a brand new doughnut. A guy was parting out a Gen 3 non-pip so I got a great price. I have had a couple of flats which I was able to plug successfully. I don't even know what I did with the foam crap, threw it away maybe.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK Andy but no USA plug-ins have spares AFAIK, if you are committed that way. CWERDNA says Leaf in Australia has a spare under car

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in another generation, if you mention spare tyre, people will give you a blank stare. might as well ditch the covered wagons now.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like donut spare idea

17. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Didn't realize you are Canadian.

I already give the blank stare to those who warm up cars. I live in CA so its not for heat. They think I am crazy.

bisco likes this.
  18. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I found Northern California kinda chilly at times. And Tahoe is a nice ski hill. ;)

Mind you, unless it's significantly below 0C, I usually don't bother warming up the car either. A heated steering wheel would be nice though.

lensovet likes this.
  19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, for the Leaf, some people have picked up Nissan Altima spares (e.g. 2013 Nissan LEAF with a Spare tire and no Trunk space lost! - My Nissan Leaf Forum and wishing for a spare tire - My Nissan Leaf Forum) from junkyards for use as Leaf spares.

mmmodem likes this.
  20. Al Ghaim

Al Ghaim New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Three
    There isn't a spare tire in the Plug in. this was the start of my day today. got up this morning and looked all over the car, called the dealer and was informed FOR THE FIRST TIME, I was very disappointed.

bisco likes this.