1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plus Package !

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jehan Ansar, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Jehan Ansar

Jehan Ansar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello Guys,

I've owned my prius for just over a year now and my front and rear bumpers, side skirts have paint issues and partially damaged. I'm really interested in getting the prius plus package and respraying my car however I have had no luck finding anyone or corporation that sells or performs this modification. I know there are many cooler looking body kits that are available for cheap but what's more important to me is fuel economy which is why I like to get the same body kit style that comes with the plus package.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. thank you

Burna J likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How come there's paint problems on such a new car? Bad parking/driving? Teen driver in the family? Toyota defect?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just how much MPGs will you gain with the package? I heard some here say drive a little slower and you'll gain MPGs.

James Powers likes this.
  4. Stohnghost

Stohnghost New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have two Prius's and the Plus Package Prius gets worse gas mileage because of the wheels and probably the higher performance tires I put on. It gets about 48 on a good day, but my wife has a lead foot leading to about 40mpg.

Burna J likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Time to trade the wife in.

tony_2018 and MexicanChip like this.
  6. Jehan Ansar

Jehan Ansar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bought it used from the Bronx NY. it already had like 28,000 miles and I think it was previously used by NYPD

7. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a time when I cared about keeping my cars looking pristine, but no more. My front bumper tore from an impact with a wayward raccoon back in 2016 and I thought, 'Well, I could replace it--or I could stitch it up with zip ties, have a bumper cover that performs exactly the same aside from looking a little odd, and save several hundred dollars.' I opted for the latter.

With plastic parts especially--the front and rear bumper covers and side skirts--rust is a non-issue from scrapes and scratches. My advice would be to live with it, but that's a value judgment only you can make for yourself. If you decide to replace, your cheapest option will be to find a Prius or several of them in a junkyard(s) somewhere (of the same color to save on paint, or not if you don't mind a "harlequin" look) and pull the covers off them.

To my knowledge, there is no data to suggest that the Plus bumper add-ons and side skirts impact the drag coefficient of the car. Ansys did the CFD simulation to ensure, in their words, that the body changes did not "increase drag." But that doesn't mean they decrease drag. Also, as far as I know the CFD results were never validated in a wind tunnel even though the variation between CFD simulations and wind tunnel measurements can sometimes be quite large.

Bottom line: I wouldn't expect any measurable impact on fuel economy by fitting the Plus bumper airdams and side skirts if you choose to go that route.

8. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three