1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius "Power Hatchback"?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jaay Dee, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Jaay Dee

Jaay Dee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if there was any type of product that made the Prius hatchback into a "power hatchback", with a button that you pressed and the hatchback opened, like many modern vehicles are now? just thought this idea might be quite cool!

2. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I hope not! Is this how lazy we have become, that we can't open an already strut assisted hatch?

But seriously, besides the added expense it would just make another point of potential electrical mechanical failure down the road.

3. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would think it would be better for closing vs. opening. My wife can barely reach the hand hold to get the hatch closed. Don't know how short equals lazy?

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I see your point. Maybe a hatch strap would come in handy.

5. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clearly she was just too lazy to Grow. ;) :rofl:

I see the Point of saying the power assisted doors are a laziness thing, and it makes sense, but as the previous poster pointed out they are great for people who can't reach, or for when you have a pile of bags/groceries/children/whatever they can be a time-saver plus with the power close you never have to worry about people slamming your hatch closed. (used to bug me when i had my 96 Cadillac Deville with the power pull down. you just had to click it in place, but everyone thinks it's a big lid so you have to slam it hard as possible)

I'm unaware of any aftermarket kit available. but i would think with enough time, money and determination you should be able to get something rigged in from like a Chrysler mini-van or something.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would think if you designed it, you could sell a ton of them. even if only for the novelty.

7. Jaay Dee

Jaay Dee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't say lazy, bu like he said, more of a helper, when you have your hands full, or its raining and you have kids and baseball gear to throw in quick, or just as a luxury - added feature. Im sure I could get on out of an suv or minivan..but not sure how I would mount it