1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Pratfall

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fogg8920, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've taken my Prius out in freezing conditions once (in LA it doesn't happen too often) and I slid all over the place. I have pictures somewhere of me sliding down the freeway from the high desert - it sucked.

By pictures I mean of me taking the pics from the driver seat. I figured since I didn't have any control of the car I may as well have some fun and take some pics of the snow and the ICY light with the TC light going off at the same time. I wish I took video.

2. hpajlp

hpajlp New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bomber991 @ Jan 7 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]372223[/snapback]</div>
    My other car is a subaru. The lightning-fast WRX would probably get me in trouble, so I went with a more practical wagon. I'm an avid snowboarder so the AWD is a must. The roads to Kirkwood can be treacherous at times, so I'm afraid the Prius won't be making any trips up there. To me, subarus are a smarter, safer, and more efficient choice for the snow than any of the SUVs or other 4WD.

I hear subaru is working on a hybrid model, at least they are talking about it:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-07-2005/0004102386&EDATE=

Hopefully in a few years when I am ready for my next car, it will be a subaru hybrid!

3. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has anyone experienced TC kicking in and preventing progress up a gravel driveway that has only a slight pitch?

It's happened to me several times in different drivways, including my own. In my opinion, I don't see this as a tire problem, but as a basic flaw in the TC system.

I understand the need for TC, but when I'm stuck like a beached whale in someone's driveway the thought does cross my mind that there must be a better way. Backing up the driveway does work, but it's somewhat embarrasing when everyone else is watching.

Comments?

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aapoppa @ Jan 7 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]372344[/snapback]</div>
    YES!

A couple of summers ago a couple of buddies and I decided to spend 5 days at a fishing camp near Vermillion Bay, Ontario, which is about halfway between Kenora and Dryden off the Trans Canada. Gravel road to the place, including a couple of steep hills then sharp curves.

I made it about half way up the hill and the Prius ground to a stop. No tire spin, nothing. One of the buddies with a Lexus RX300 came to my rescue and used a tow strap. That little emergency eyebolt comes in pretty handy sometimes.

With my studded tires in winter, there are some situations where very minor tire spin allows the studded tire to "bite" and get you moving. With the Prius, you just grind to a stop. A neighbor near my hobby farm - a long haul trucker with an Eaton ABS / Trac system in his Kenworth tractor - suggested pumping the gas pedal.

That works a bit, that is the wheel then will turn a bit. Whether it's enough to get you going in tough conditions, who knows. It feels very unnatural to rapidly pump the gas pedal on ice or snow though.

It is embarassing when other cars don't appear to have problems and your shiny new Prius is helpless.