1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Premium

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by campoj, May 19, 2009.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are few things in life more valuable than great neighbours and friends. A strong sense of community is very fulfilling. I can't walk anywhere without meeting several people (and pets) I know. While my work can be boring, one thing I love about it - most of the time - is not having to go anywhere. I can work in my pajamas wearing slippers and headphones when I want to. If a few clients move away, I can always find more, or they can just mail me their stuff. :)

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Versa Sedan has an interior volume of 108 cu ft so it would be classified as a compact. The Versa Sedan is 4% smaller than a Prius

The Versa Hatchback has an interior volume of 113 cu ft so it is classified as a mid-size. The Versa Hatch is 1% larger than a Prius

(Note: Volumes based on 2009 models)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmm.... so really both the Versa and Prius are cheating a bit by counting the cargo area?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did we scare away the original poster? It would be nice to know what he decided on.

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why is cargo area "cheating". Personally, I care more about cargo area than passenger area. I would have preferred the Prius have a traditional station wagon type rear instead of the sloping roof to increase the cargo area.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, are they counted in sedans? I thought the cargo space was counted separately from the interior cabin space.

Ditto the cargo area volume calculation issue. Some measure up to the window sill, others go straight to the roof. How did the 04/05 Prius go from 16 cu ft to 14 cu ft in the 06+ model? They must've removed the area above the tonneau cover (which makes sense since we had a Camry with 16 cu ft and it looked a lot bigger than the Prius.

I'm also assuming the current's 21 cu ft includes the volume above the tonneau cover. It's listed at 15.7 cu ft in the Canadian brochure.

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The EPA uses total volume, passenger volume + cargo volume. For a sedan that is passenger area plus trunk. For a hatchback, SUV, or station wagon that is passenger area plus the cargo area floor to roof.

--------------- Prius ---------- Versa Sedan ----- Versa Hatch
    Passenger ---- 96 ----------------- 94 ---------------- 95
    Cargo --------- 16 ----------------- 14 ---------------- 18
    Total --------- 112 ---------------- 108 --------------- 113
    Note: EPA volume in Cubic Feet

Notice that they are listed separately put class size is determined by the total volume.

I can't see why anyone would measure to the top of the seatback in a hatchback. A large box doesn't care if it projects above a horizontal plane projecting from the top of the seat or window. On the other hand, that large box won't fit into a trunk. If one only counts to the height of a window they are disregarding the entire point of a hatchback. It seems that the Canadian brochure is attempting to artificially place the limitations of a trunk on hatchbacks.

If Canadian model sizes don't include the full volume of a hatchback then that would explain why the Versa Hatch is one rated one class smaller in Canada.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh ok so they do include that in the calculations for sedans. Ok well then that's fair.

Err I don't know. We're just as inconsistent as you are lol. As least smart Canada shows both. It'll say 7 cu ft to window and 12 to the roof in the brochure.