1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Press-Kits

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, May 5, 2006.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The bulk of the document (my initial brain-dump) is complete. Here's what was most recently added:

Cost Analysis – Saving Gas
    Myth – Accelerate Slowly
    Myth – Plugging is Needed
    Myth – Battery-Pack Replacement
    Myth – Accident Danger

Now I can concentrate on your suggestions, compose the introduction, and look other stuff that may be relevent. It has definitely wandered away from the "Press Kit" concept, becoming more of an educational document with a completely new approach.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The purpose of the document became crystal clear while figuring out what was appropriate for the introduction. So it has been renamed to reflect that: UNDERSTANDING HYBRIDS. Allowing the content that emerged (from the now rather obvious need) to formulate on its own really paid off.

I still have a few ideas remaining and the "more info" links haven't been added yet, but it's pretty darn close now. Follow this new link to see what I'm calling the "final draft"...

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-understanding.htm

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Overall, very good.
    I do have a few suggestions though.
    I did not try to correct for spelling, not my strong suit . . . but if I notice a bunch of them . . . ;)

Page 2 . . .Full Hybrid . . .
    “Only the “full†hybrid can create & consume of electricity simultaneously . . .â€
    [Nitpicking: I know the Prius is a wonderful car, but it can neither “create†or destroy electricity.]
    I suggest you replace “create electricity†with “produce electricity†and delete "of."

Page 3 . . . Full Hybrid – City Operation . . .
    “With the HSD hybrids (such as Prius) . . .â€
    This is the first and only time the HSD acronym is displayed, and Hybrid Synergy Drive is never mentioned. Very confusing to the unknowing.
    “ . . .you have the ability to drive up to 42 MPH without the engine in motion… even with the A/C running.
    Suggested rewrite: Full Hybrids have the ability to propel themselves up to 42 MPH utilizing only electric power. When efficiency dictates, the hybrid computer will shut down the gasoline engine, even if the car is in motion and the electrically powered air conditioner operating. This ability of the computer to shut down the gasoline engine when not needed, and substitute with the use of electricity, is what allows these cars to obtain outstanding mileage in stop and go traffic – conditions which severely penalize conventionally powered cars.

Page 6 . . . Cost Analysis – Long-Term Considerations . . .
    “The price increased dramatically since then, so all of that negative press about hybrid being cost-effective was wrong.â€
    [ . . . hybrids not being cost-effective was wrong then, and even more so now! The concept of "Payback" is mileage sensitive. The more miles you drive your hybrid, the sooner monitary payback will be realized. The higher the price of gas, the sooner you will realize a hybrid profit.]

Page 6 . . . Myth – EPA Estimates . . .
    [Suggestion for addition:]
    In the real world, are the hybrid EPA mileage numbers obtainable?
    YES and NO. With hybrids, mileage can vary widely depending on your driving style and driving conditions. One group of Prius drivers went to the extremes and logged an average 109.3 miles per gallon, driving 1397 miles along a 15-mile course on 12.8 gallons of gas.
    http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynergyvi...l/marathon.html

YOUR MILEAGE WILL VARY.

4. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The name change and the introduction really help to prepare the reader for the information that follows.

Page 4...Cost Analysis - Vehicle Class...
    I suggest answering two questions: What are the pitfalls of comparing the Prius to the Corolla? To what vehicle should the Prius be compared?

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ May 5 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]250202[/snapback]</div>
    Good idea! Keep the kit short, simple and visual, but put 'links' in to additional information that is more 'wordy', so the audience can easily research topics that pique their interest, whether they are 'press' or 'potential buyers'.