1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - 12V Charging System

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by rain27, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There is a sub DC-DC converter, but it’s not clear whether it can recharge an auxiliary (12-volt) battery that has already been discharged, or just keep the battery from discharging further.
    Use a battery maintainer, sold at auto parts stores for less than $100. This device connects to a 120-volt wall outlet and to the positive (+) and negative (–) terminals of the auxiliary battery under the hood. It will recharge the auxiliary battery, if the battery’s condition allows, and then can be left connected to maintain its charge.

You’ll also need to maintain the state of charge of the HV battery, of course. You could use your external charger (EVSE), or as an alternative (recommended by Toyota for new cars in stock at dealers), run the hybrid system for 30 minutes at least once every two months, with the transaxle in P⃣ and the car parked in a place where it’s safe for the gasoline engine to run as needed.
    I’m not sure I’d go to a dealer for this problem, since there’s no warranty coverage, nor anything that requires a dealer’s special equipment or expertise. If the auxiliary (12-volt) battery just needs recharging, I’d suggest doing that at home, since you’ll need the same equipment to keep it charged. If it has to be replaced, you could do it yourself, or if you prefer, many stores that sell 12-volt automotive batteries will also install them at no charge or for a nominal fee.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Weird, my browser (Firefox) shows a "combining enclosing keycap" not combined with the P ... it's further to the right, covering the first part of 'and'. And it's too high, so it covers the bottoms of the letters rather than enclosing them. Something wrong with the metrics in the font, maybe?

3. Vijay C

Vijay C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks, i would get the commerically available battery charger and maintainer from costco. Duracell brand approx $50
    Appreciate your suggestion and i will post here my response once i get to use it. Thanks

Elektroingenieur likes this.