1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime 2018 - Tire chains for winter ???

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by KarenH, Jan 10, 2019.

1. KarenH

KarenH New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone used chains on the Prime yet ?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought some but haven't tested them yet. I should test fit them, and if I do I'll let you know if they fit.

I bought Konig (formerly Thule) CB-12 080.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hear on the radio sometimes, there's a chain-up requirement for some of the mountain passes, through interior BC. Is this regardless of having snow tires?

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know about BC, but according to @fuzzy1 that is the case in WA. I have never encountered "Chain Required" sign on any of roads I have driven in the snow belt yet.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I carry chains mostly just in case I get stuck. With 2WD all it takes is one of the drive wheels off the road and I could be stuck. Better to get myself out than wait for a tow truck during a snow storm.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've seen a traction mat thing too, purely for getting you a few feet, out of a snowdrift.

8. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have some I bought but never used . I have to check the tire size . Happy to make a deal. Will send info over the weekend.

9. juhjuhjuhjames

juhjuhjuhjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    True going thru some passes in western WA. Chains or AWD required

Salamander_King likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The states have different labelings, so I suppose the provinces do too. But all of them around here have a stage where snow tires are required, another where chains are required except on 4/AWD, and yet another where chains are required even on 4/AWDs. And maybe even more.

Oregon labeling starts with "chains required" meaning only for heavy trucks, with snow tires being ok for cars. Cars get snagged at some higher labeling level. But in Washington, the same generic "chains required" means passenger cars, as heavy trucks get called out earlier and separately. California has R1, R2, R3 stages.

I don't know BC's labeling, but will bet that it doesn't fully match any of the above examples. :)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#10 fuzzy1, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used Grizzlar GDP-080 Car Diamond Alloy Tire Chains from Amazon. Very easy to put them on (if you follow the instruction, installation is done quickly without moving the car). The only regret is that it ate up the wheel covers.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bluespruce likes this.
  12. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    MTN, SeattleBebop1, 1x1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks, @Rob43 , I decided to go with the Super Zs as well to satisfy WA State's requirement to carry chains over the pass.

I have a lifted Prius and I'm running 27" tires. I'll leave some notes here in case anyone else is doing research.

• All Season tires: General Altimax RT43 T-Rated, 215/70R15. @Stevewoods mentioned they're pretty good in our occasional Seattle snow. I also saw some praise for snow/ice handling from a Denver Prius owner on TireRack and the stopping tests seemed decent (53.80' in snow; true winters would be like 32.70').
    • Super Z6 Peerless Chain Part #SZ135. SAE Class "S" clearance requires 15 mm clearance, the Super Z6 are 6.3 mm. Found some new on e-bay for $50 incl. s/h. I wanted really low profile chains since my tires are taking up more space.
    • Test Installation: special thanks to the parking lot at Safeway, since my rented parking space has no room for me to dink around my car. Note: for connecting the two fasteners, make sure you come in at a 90 degree angle with the male part so you can successfully lock into the female part. I had some trouble with the tensioner and needed both hands to really pull that little sucker into place. Next time, I'll use that metal hook tool (for the jack) to tighten. But I *really* liked that I didn't have to drive into the chains, or drive, stop, and readjust.
    • Some reviewers on Amazon mention that this cable chain rusts easily, and recommend keeping WD-40 and a plastic bag in the trunk, so once you remove the chains, spray, and throw into the bag.
    • Got some good grippy gardening gloves which helped, and also keeping some thick cardboard for kneeling / traction in the trunk.
    • I was satisfied with the clearance. I shimmed under the car to snap some pics and the cables were well clear of the all the bits I don't want them to touch.
    • Washington State Patrol has approved a new alternative (low-profile) traction device, Alpha Trax, which I was interested in as well; similar to Super Z6, they don't require moving the vehicle or re-tightening, and Alpha Trax look more sturdy than the Socks). But they are $115 at O'Reilly's, and they only have a 30-day warranty like the AutoSocks.
      20210225_180755.jpg 20210225_181328.jpg 20210225_180921.jpg

14. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just bought a 2021 and they made me sign a page that said I would not use chains in it

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are chain substitutes, with some being good enough to meet the legal requirements mandate chain use.

16. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's really surprising because you bought (I could see a restriction if you leased). Any explanation?

The explanation can't be that Toyota disallows it; my 2017 Toyota Manual provides instructions about using chains:
    It tells me to disable the pre-collision system "when tire chains are installed" and the "Winter Driving tips" section tells me to prepare for the winter by having four snow tires, or purchasing a set of tire chains for the front tires.

While researching the Super Z6 chains, I actually came across a lot of Subaru posts -- you aren't supposed to use chain with Subarus per the company, and they're AWD, so typically they don't need them, but they'll carry the AutoSocks to meet state requirements.
    However, there are times they really need them and the Super Z6 have the low clearance required to not mess up the vehicle (according to a few users).
    Toyota_Manual_483_chains.jpg

17. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That’s interesting as the owner’s manual gives instructions for using them. But yes, it was an official warning not to use them from Toyota.

I didn’t pay much attention as where I live I would never need them.

18. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My sister (Subaru Crosstrek owner) did tell me that she learned that in Japan, the culture is to swap to snow tires when conditions are bad -- so being able to use chains isn't important to them, and the company simply forbade the use of them to prevent any possible damage and claims.

I normally would NOT need chains either, except for going up into the Cascade range. I do note that the Super Z instructions say to remove the hubcaps to prevent damage when using chains. I don't think I'm going to; I think my hubcaps are so low profile and snug I'm more like to damage them trying to peel them off. My hope is the cable chains seem very lightweight and are not so likely to damage my car.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was pretty interested in the Alpha Trax, but at $115 and with no reviews (they are very new to the market), and the manufacturer telling me they only have a 30-day warranty, I decided to go for the cables instead.