1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius prime 2020 - Charge 12v with wall charger

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Simoyd, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Simoyd

Simoyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes I forget my car was plugged in, I start it without checking that it goes into ready mode (which it doesn't if it's plugged in), then it just drains the 12v battery in a couple minutes as I'm dusting things off and shoveling snow. In the past I've followed the instructions in the manual to boost the 12v battery from another car:
    [​IMG]

But I don't want to bother people when I eff this up... If I buy, for example this charger:
    [​IMG]

Will this work to charge my 12 battery on my car model? Do I have to disconnect the battery or can I just hook it up to 4 and 1 on the diagram above? Is there any way to charge it without disconnecting the battery? Is there any other way to kick start my car (with gas in the tank and with a full traction battery) other than to jump start or remove the battery? Or is there at least some way to get it into ready mode so that the car can start charging the 12v from the traction battery by itself?

#1 Simoyd, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have that exact maintainer, it's great for holding a charge, and keeping the battery from running down.
    but if the battery gets too low, you'll need a more powerful unit.
    hooking it to 1 and 4 is exactly how to do anything regarding the 12v battery.
    no need to disconnect the battery from the car.

if you want something to jump the car when the 12v is dead, consider a lithium jump pack. you wall charge them and store in the car. they hold a charge for a long time and are great in emergencies for you or someone who needs a jump.

i don't know anything about this one, but the price is right.ref=asc_df_B0BQBSBLJP

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Just a note; if your shoveling snow - probably best to keep that jump pack in your house. Carry it out to your car - batteries don't like the cold.

4. Simoyd

Simoyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks all. Yup I plan to keep the jump pack in the house. Looks like the car remembers it's on-off state so the trickle charger won't work without disconnecting. I ended up getting a boost from someone this time, but I have the jump pack for next time I mess this up. Thanks again!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but you want it in the car when traveling. the prime also has lithium batteries