1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Acceleration

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prashanta, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, except identifying with bank robbers? If the bank robbers had a Charger and the police had a Prius, they could catch the robbers while they were filling up at a gas station... and then carted them back to the lockup. Can't do that in a Prime though, not enough back seats....

bowang and bisco like this.
  2. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How is this to be understood ?
    There is the pure EV-Mode and there is Hybrid-Mode .
    So if the vehicle switches to EV-Mode in Hybrid-Mode,just as in the liftback,there is no dual motor available or do you mean when the ice is working together with the electric motor at the same time to accelerate there is no dual motor possible ?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EV Mode:
    There is the ability to use dual-motor. It's not used all the time since under normal acceleration, MG2 can probably handle the battery output. But if greater acceleration is needed, MG1 can be called in to assist and hence your dual motor propulsion.

HV Mode:
    Operates like a regular Prius. MG1 is used to start the engine, and to charge the HV battery like a normal hybrid.

When you go from HV to EV, then the software will allow the possibility of dual-motor.

If the ICE is on, there is no dual-motor capability.

GT4Prius likes this.
  4. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the explanation!

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think that's what it means.

I think it means that if you are in Hv mode and the ICE is not running and then demand enough power such that dual-motor mode would be needed to meet the demand, that extra power will be supplied by the ICE rather than by MG1, even if it means starting the ICE.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just timed my 2004 0-to-60. 12.2 seconds.

Why so slow?

I was at 6,000 feet of altitude (where I work), where power is down about 15% on the ICE due to low barometric pressure.

I consider this car, which I've driven now for almost 13 years, to be plenty fast enough to safely to just about anything. The only time I have power trouble with it is when the battery fully drains going up a steep high mountain pass. Without the battery boost available, it can't really accelerate while climbing a 7% grade at 10,000 feet, fully loaded. The Prime shouldn't have that problem due to the more powerful engine and the far larger battery.

7. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    lol. Finally test drove this bad boy. We actually test drove it twice, me first, wife second. I had it on CHG mode since the battery was dead and I wanted the lady to try it on EV. It actually charged enough for her to go a full test drive without the engine kicking on.

The acceleration is nothing amazing. But for a prius plug in, it's pretty good. On EV alone, you really do feel that instead torque which helps you get that first bit of acceleration. Mine was on HV and it felt like a regular 4 cylinder car. I floored it and it definitely pick uped speed quick. Enough to get on the freeway quickly. I would say it's not enough to quickly pass a car. It would take a few extra seconds.

8. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were on charge mode all this time (your test) no wonder acceleration was not amazing...

9. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok good. So I'm assuming it affects the engine on charge mode.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.

bowang and aznkorboi like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After six days in pure EV city driving, no problem including a couple of 'bad habits' learned from our BMW i3-REx. This from a previous Gen-1 and Gen-3 owner.

Bob Wilson

12. e161

e161 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We tested the acceleration in my 2017 Prius Prime, also, in both EV mode and hybrid mode. Here's our video of the results:

It feels so fast in EV mode, yet the results show it's actually faster in hybrid. I guess it's just psychological, with the quiet EV mode giving one the impression that it's not working hard? Other ideas on why it feels so fast in EV?