1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime and a bike rack

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Kaigler, May 12, 2017.

1. Kaigler

Kaigler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone using or have you used a bike rack on your Prime? Anyone see a potential problem with it?

2. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #2 joachimz, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  3. jimkorein

jimkorein New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Has anyone installed a bike rack on a Prius Prime that is easy to use for short hauls to local bike paths?

4. OptimalPrime

OptimalPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've always been a supporter of installing a receiver hitch, and then using whatever hitch-mounted bike rack, cargo carrier, or tow ball was needed for a particular task. I use a hitch-mount cargo carrier on my 2005 Prius fairly often, maybe 5 or 10 weeks a year.

I'd figured I'd put a hitch receiver on my Prime first thing. I haven't. Basically, the cargo capacity (including passengers) is only 670 pounds, vs 825 pounds on my 2005. Receiver hitches, even small ones like on any Prius, are heavy. Typically 40 pounds, and that's hanging out behind the wheels before you even attach anything to it.

So I'm not saying don't add a receiver hitch, or don't mount a bike rack on the hitch. But figure out the weight of it all, and how often you'll remove the bike rack vs leave it in the hitch, etc. And see if that interferes with your plans to carry people and cargo inside the car. It doesn't matter if the bike trail is 2 miles away, if you leave the bike rack on the car 24/365. Certainly the receiver hitch isn't the sort of thing that's ever going to be removed (except maybe when you sell the car) once you install it. The same is true for some roof racks, but not others. And for some stuff I thow in the trunk.....but wait, there really isn't much of a trunk on this car, is there?

5. Lacy

Lacy New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just received a reply from the Toyota People regarding the bike rack. There is no bike rack for the Prime that Toyota makes. I would send you the Toyota link, but this chat site won't let me do it.

6. Rogie

Rogie New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I looked into this and they do make a hitch for the Prime. I called Toyota and they told me that it would void my warranty if anything happened to the car in relation to having the hitch installed on the car. If you want to install one then Uhaul sells them and will install them in my area for about $180. It has a tongue rating of 200 lbs. After buying the extended warranty I will be buying the Toyota Roof Cross Bars for $299 and installing some compatable bike racks instead of the tow hitch.