1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime and spare tire

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by gvp1995, May 22, 2016.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is there a fuse on the pump when the 12 volt connector removed?

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's obvious, but I'm not going to tell someone else to do that to their new pump that is still under warranty. He might want to explore a more elegant solution first, then chop it if he wants.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMG_20170921_170027.jpg
    Yap, I ended up purchasing BESTEK-12V-Battery-Clip-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adapter. Add to that a half dozens of fuse, the price is almost at the 87P.

#183 Salamander_King, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Mark57 likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the compressor has a fuse in line, but the Max. Amp/Watt Draw spec is 15A/180W for this pump. Most small car's cigarette lighter socket are on 10A, so it was keep blowing fuse in the car before the compressor's. This I did not know. :cry:

#184 Salamander_King, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  5. Flyshacker

Flyshacker New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Okay, here’s an update on the rumored upgrade kit to store a spare tire in the Prius Prime. Bottom line, the kit doesn’t exist! I’m glad I didn’t go through what my friend suffered. His wife bought a new Prius Prime and had a tire blow out in the first week. Total freak incident. He was really concerned about the lack of a spare tire in the Prime because she makes occasional long drives to Utah across long barren stretches. They inquired at their dealership and learned that a new spare tire upgrade kit had just became available from Toyota for the Prius Prime. About $1300 plus labor, plus the spare tire. The story gets worse. Inexplicably, the dealership repeatedly set up appointments to in bring her car, which they did, and then hours later told them that the kit hadn’t arrived yet or parts were missing. !!@#&**?! It gets worse. After leaving their car at the dealership for a few hours for the final appointment, they were told that the kit doesn’t fit the Prius Prime and that there is NO SUCH KIT. But my friend was told that he must pay for the $400 spare tire that he ordered or they won’t let him take his car!! My friend called B.S., and after complaining up the management chain, he was told to keep the spare tire for free. (!!) What a fiasco. Anyway, false alarm on the spare tire upgrade. I think we’re back to a good tire repair kit and 12V inflator.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What would a "spare tire kit" include, beside a spare tire??? I can't think of any parts that would cost $1300. Would that be something like this?
    CJ5SwingmountZeichner.gif

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    "CURT 31006 Hitch-Mounted Spare Tire Mount"

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

#187 bwilson4web, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That'll work, with a trailer hitch also installed. I don't think Toyota would too thrilled if it caught on: their flagshap vehicle sporting a trailer hitch and truck-mount spare, lol.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They should have considered the consequences of deleting the spare then, right? :D

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The only thing that will stop this trend is buyer resistance, and the further down this road we go the longer the odds of that happening. I hope it happens, not sure it will.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not optimistic. doesn't seem to be any trend away from cars without spares.

HPrimeAdvanced and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey the adventure continues!!
    Got ANOTHER flat, RR tire on my new Michelins! First ever on a Michelin. Sensor was useless, as tire had gone down to 13 PSI when I reached America's Tire 2 miles away; found leaking tire by inspection, while sensor finally reported problem on the way to repair! USELESS, USELESS, USELESS!! AT repaired flat, inflated fronts to 42 PSI, and rears to 40 PSI, rebuilt sensor, rebalanced tire; no charge. Got "lucky" this time! My spare donut was safe and warm at home, har, har! The car had been making a kind of "wop, wop, wop" sound, though the tires were not Italian; they were made in (Great?) Britain, so I was on super high alert expecting tire problems and watching for the Stupid Sensor to work; Nada, nuthin', squat, puke!! USELESS USELESS USELESS!! Plus Toyota MUST put in some Low-Tire Sound Alarm, if they're going to steal your spare tire, and gimme back my spare!!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps the over inflate the tires and reset the TPS which raises the threshold for an alert. Then reduce the pressure to what you want to ride around but with a higher threshold than before. If it turns out to be too sensitive, replicate the procedure and reduce the over pressure by some "n" psi.

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  15. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uncle Bob,
    That was my idea with the 42/40 PSI; I really don't care if pressure is 36-42 PSI as long as it's consistent, but did want a greater margin of safety!! Problem is, the warning icon is tiny/invisible, whereas a loud alarm would be greatly appreciated!!

16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just had a flat on our 2010 Monday and the TPMS worked as designed:). Was able to limp it to the Costco 2 miles away;).

They couldn't plug it (there was a plug right next to this screw) and didn't have a tire in stock:confused:. Left it overnight until they got a tire in.

A coworker offered up his pickup so I could get home (I work 40 miles from home):). It's a 97 F-250 heavy duty with a 460. Let's just say the big girl was thirsty :sick:. For the 95 miles I drove it, probably averaged 8 mpg:cool:.

Glad to not have a v8 to feed (y).

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be sure to return it with a full tank.:p

18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It has two 20 gallon tanks:eek:.

He only uses it to pull a 5th wheel, so he prefers it empty until needed:).

But I did fill the rear tank before I started out(y).

bisco likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Surprised a warning doesn't pop up on one of the displays.
    Such a one for low fuel accompanies the little light in our Camry.

20. The Future-Plug In

The Future-Plug In Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I’ve recently purchased a 2017 Prius Prime and I’m trying to obtain a donut spare. I gave up on junk yard picks since those that I’ve pursued were either older than 7 years old and/or showed signed of excessive wear/abuse.

Since no one I inquired with sells a mounted tire, I’ve decided purchase the wheel from Toyota and have a tire mounted from a Tire Rack purchase (more reasonable than Toyota’s +$200 price).

In referencing this post as a solutions guide, I see the wheel\tire referenced are 17 inches. Those of you that have gone this route appear to have found success. I have a 2010 and 2013 Prius and tried the spare from the 2013 Prius, a 16 x 4T wheel mounted with a 135 80D16 101M tire and it’s a good fit. I was wondering what is the better solution, 16” or 17”?

The spare wheel listed to fit the 2017 Prius Prime is a different spare wheel that the one listed to fit the 2013 Prius. No spare donut tire is listed on Toyota’s site to fit a 2017 Prius Prime. Cross referencing them and neither will fit the other per Toyota’s parts online listings and either of the listings discloses the wheel size. The 2017 Prius Prime Owner’s manual is useless as it doesn’t disclose a spare tire size.

Per on-line listings (can’t do links yet):

Wheel, Spare - Toyota (42611-47630)

This part fits your 2017 Toyota Prius Prime

This is a 17” wheel per those that obtained it?

Wheel, Spare - Toyota (42611-20A50)

This part fits your 2013 Toyota Prius

Can a knowledgeable Prius owner comment on the sizes of these wheels from the Toyota listing so I can pursue an appropriate tire match that will give a comparable wheel height? Any other information/guidance on the latest means of obtaining a new donut spare wheel/tire would also be appreciated. Those that went this solution route, can anyone comment on the tire temporary tire brand of choice, the Bridgestone, Continental or Yokohama?

Thank you in advance….

Mendel Leisk likes this.