1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime and spare tire

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by gvp1995, May 22, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our BMW i3-REx had a flat last week that took 5 hours to fix.

Bob Wilson

2. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    that sucks ... did you bring it to a shop and they could fix it? or? just curious ...

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The standard answer is to use 'roadside assistance' so the experiment was warranted. I am retired and could easily get relief by other means. The experiment was a test of 'roadside assistance' which failed compared to a spare and jack.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk and joachimz like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking the exact same thing and wondering who would say it first. Give that man a kewpie doll!! :D

Epic fail!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you use Toyota's Roadside assistance? I have no idea what type of network they utilize, but I doubt it is better than AAA.

6. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    AAA has taken hours to get to me any time I have called them (Long Island and Westchester, NY). I don't have loads of faith in waiting for them as my only option. Since they normally contact a local towing company, I'm assuming Toyota would do the same. Fixing a flat is a relative fast process if you have a spare tire :)

#106 JMalmsteen, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There should be tie down points in all hatchbacks/wagons/SUVs. With supplying tire slime, will the manufacturer actually pay for the straps though.

Unless you get full blow outs a lot, the included slime supplemented with a plug and patch kit should cover you for the majority of the time. I'd skip the slime, and just use the plug and patch with a decent air compressor.

Definitely tie down the spare. If there are supplied straps, it is fairly simple. A space saver spare isn't going to add much weight. Even full size will be under 40 pounds. there are hitch mount spare holders if you need the interior cargo space.

Another option is run flat tires. They will likely reduce efficiency because they are heavier than standard tires.

JMalmsteen likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have the runflat tires improved in last ten years? My first and only experience with runflat tires were the Dunlop and Bridgestone runflat that came with 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan. They were awful. Tread life was so short, they seems to be more prone to puncture than regular tiers, and they were very expensive with limited availability. The worst thing was when we did have flat on so called runflat tires, we could not run! The sidewalls are totally collapsed after a few miles and we had to call flatbed tow truck anyway. Naturally, there was a class action lawsuit on this that resulted Toyota to settle with all of Sienna AWD owners to replays any OEM runflat tires that failed within 60k. The only problem was that the replacement was with another set of defective runfulat tires. :cry: We went though two sets of runflats, both sets lasting less than 20k. I changed to regular tires after the free replacement runflats, and never had flat since then for now 60k additional miles and counting.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we got them in pip, not sure about prime.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I hate to break your heart, but from what I hear, a majority of EV, Hybrid vehicles now do not carry a spare tire, donut or otherwise. So our little Primes are just following this alarming trend. We just need to yell loudly, especially when surveys are filled out!!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  11. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Or you could envision a future where road side assistance companies such as AAA will bring out a loaner donut tire to put on to save the cost of flatbed towing. You then take your bad tire to a tire shop, get it fixed and turn in the donut there. AAA picks up the donuts to redistribute. You need less spare tires than cars on the road... but that would be a rational infrastructure thing, that I know we don't do.

Why should every car carry a spare tire, especially when half the drivers can't change a tire on their own.

JMalmsteen, RobH, bps and 2 others like this.
  12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I get a sense that this has always been the case, where in the past women formed a large part of that "incapable half". Today more women are quite capable of changing a tire, and probably less men are able, but the percentage is probably about the same. That still doesn't excuse the abandonment of that very viable and potent group of DIY activists who are entitled to save themselves!!

13. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Strap a full sized spare to the hood of your car like the intrepid explorer you are!

Trollbait and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  14. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Damn straight!! But I think it should be bolted to the roof, so as not to block the view!!

15. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait, that's where the freshly kilt trophy 2 point out of season deer goes . . . .;)

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then if they do know how, they haven't checked the spare's air pressure at all, and the tire is too low to be any good anyway.

For those that want a spare for their spareless ride, they do have a couple of options.

A Cherokee that I spot regularly on my commute actually does this.
    Why don't you have a pick up? Thought you had to have one to get the gun.

17. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Gun?? Why that's cheating!! No I just go out there, run the miserable creature down on foot, then simply choke it to death!! Then you do what that unmentionable "rock star" does, just rope it to the hood!! Har, har

18. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Robert De Niro "The Deer Hunter" scene reference was too subtle.
    [​IMG]

pilotgrrl and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We watched a lady blacksmith yesterday at the PNE, capable of changing horse shoes, lol.

I think it'll take more than negative comments on Owner's Surveys. A drop in sales will get their attention.

20. AnneLW

AnneLW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We live in the desert where there are some cell phone and internet "shadows" and I'm sure that's where we would get a flat. The low clearance and lack of tire are what make me hisitate on buying a Prime. I'll use my V when I need cargo space.

Do you think the spare from my 2004 Prius Two would fit a Prime?