1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime as 2nd car?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by docboy, Mar 20, 2018.

1. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone,

First time poster here. The Prius Prime has recently caught my eye, primarily because I've been noticing my current SUV is just a gas guzzler (Lexus LX570). Super spacious, comfy, great snow traction to the mountains during the winter, Toyota/Lexus reliable, lots of room to start hauling my kid and her future soccer/basketball team, but this thing is a pig on gas. I get ~12mpg combined city/freeway.

As such I'm considering the Prime and also the Tesla Model S/3. I temporarily eliminated the Teslas due to poor reliability based on forum posts and cost of upkeep/state register fees/insurance. The Chevy Volt/Bolt are possibilities but I don't trust Chevy's reliability issues.

My daily commute is 6miles one way, which I do 4 days a week, which theoretically I can use no gas.

From a pure math and cost point of view, is it worth it to consider the Prime as 2nd daily vehicle? All thoughts and ramblings appreciated...

Dudley1030 likes this.
  2. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sure, the Prime would be fine, but could be $$$$ for a second commuter car. I’ll probably get some negative comments here, but you might consider a used Nissan Leaf. You can get a very nice Leaf for under $10K. Yes, the Leaf has a problem with its degraded battery, but even a degraded Leaf would probably give 50 miles: not bad for a short commute like yours.

If I weren’t retired (no need for two cars) I’d be looking at a Leaf, Smart ED, or Fiat 500e as a second car. In fact, our only car for the two years prior to the Prime was a Fiat 500e with its 80-90 mile range.

3. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You'd probably end up making it your daily driver.

We'd need more info on your mileage to determine if it makes financial sense- but probably not. You should also consider a used plug in Prius, which is also very reliable.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    is there a state tax credit for plug ins in washington?

what are you trying to figure out for the right second car? ev miles? cost? et al?

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From a pure cost view, a used Leaf would be best.

Zythryn likes this.
  6. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the welcome!

To my knowledge no current state tax credit in WA state. In fact, one is more likely to get penalized here for having a gas miser vehicle with higher plate fees/etc... Annual car tabs here in WA state jumped to over $1,000 for a Tesla Model S, ridiculous.

I saw one dealership has a $2,000 cash back for 2017 Prime models.

Just trying to figure out if a 2nd car would make financial sense, considering my current SUV drinks gas. Most of driving is the daily 6 mile commute, except 1 day of the week which I make Costco runs (about 11 miles away).

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is electricity per kWh?

8. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I read this correctly off Puget Sound energy site... First 600kWh $.092901, Over 600kWh $.112736

9. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, if I were to get a PP it would likely very well be my daily driver. Then my SUV would probably just sit unless it's for family road trips, school events, and the winter months.

Dudley1030 likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's cheap compared to gas. a quick analysis of your driving habits and potential plug in availability will give you a decent idea of payback years.
    the only unknown is future gas prices. but there are plenty of wonderful reasons to drive a prime besides gas savings, take one for a spin.

jerrymildred and docboy like this.
  11. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a spreadsheet somewhere I could plug in some numbers?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i know of. there are a few prime threads on calculating savings.
    what i do is figure 50mpg. current gas being $3./g = 3$ to go 50 miles. you can do he same with your lexus.

then figure about 10 kWh to charge her. x .12/kwh = $1.20 for 25 miles x 2 = $2.40 to go 50 miles.

then try to figure out where you can charge besides home, or just figure one charge a day at home to start with.
    multiply times the amount of miles you plan to drive it instead of the lexus and divide by 50.

13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The smart ED can be had for $3999 and is a reliable electric for 50 miles or less, an older leaf may also work for 50 miles or less

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Considering how little miles you are doing, just sticking with the SUV makes the most financial sense. Yes, you will save on fuel costs, but you also have to factor in the insurance, registration, and maintenance for the second car. Doing just 6 miles, those will may use up any savings from fuel.

docboy likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our second car is an end-of-lease, used, 2014 BMW i3-REx. Replacement costs via eBay:
    • Offers $17699 - $26999 - prices are negotiable
    • Sold $17700 - $25100 - fair market value
    Features:
    • 72 mile EV range
    • 78 mile gas range
    • optional coding significantly improves utility and efficiency
    • dynamic cruise control well worth it
    Bob Wilson

16. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I love my Prime. I was in a similar situation. My commute was 45 miles one way. I have a 4WD Tundra. I was getting about 12 MPG. The Prime is awesome! I get to drive partial 100% electric. Then I only have to use about 1.5 gallons of gas instead of 7.5 gallons! I kept the Tundra for the bad winter weather days. I figure the savings in gas will pay for the Prime completely in over 10 yrs. The tax credit for the car and the charging station help offset the costs. I didn't even figure in the trade in costs when I get rid of it! So probably payback on about 7 yrs with the gas savings alone!
    It cost's me about $1 to charge it at home. Not bad.

#16 Dudley1030, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    bwilson4web likes this.
  17. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Except that it's only about 6.3KWh to charge the prime so $0.76 for 25 miles or $1.51 for 50 miles.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it makes sense to have a high MPG car and a SUV/minivan on the side....we do.
    But our high MPG car is a regular Prius hybrid. It's all what you want.
    But sounds like your miles per year are low, so it is harder to justify.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    To get a new car, your annual cost is at least $3500-$4000 with car depreciation/registration/insurance in consideration.

Even if you get free charging you only save less than $1000 per year.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many states have annual car taxes...northern Virginia is really bad on that...
    we basically have 5% car value tax each year, with a little discount under $20K value. I argue this car tax hurts hybrids and green car sales, as well as new car sales in general. But you cannot fight City Hall.

Whenever somebody says "so-and-so has a Telsa" I always say - I bet they are from DC or MD. Although I am told the Google techs in Reston, Va. go against that trend.