1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime as emergency power source

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Randy B, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lots of grid outages from fires and storms around the country. Has anyone used their Prius Prime [with inverter] to power their house? or as a mobile power source?
    From my experience, the Prius and Prius Prime make a great generator. One can get up to 1kw of power off the 12v system, and up to 5kw off the Prime battery.

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have not done it.

I remember a few years ago, seeing multiple after-market kits that would allow you to install an invertor to produce 120/240vac from a Prius.

3. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    How did you do that?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  5. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My Honda generator has been working just fine for 40+ years now. Unlimited capacity. Just need to put gas in it and change the oil when necessary. Paid $1000 back then. I think they are closer to double that now.

pghyndman likes this.
  6. PerryD

PerryD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know about just an advertisement. People have been interested in using Prii that way since way back. Randy's got a business that sells some products you can use to do that, and he does come around from time to time and make posts on the general topic. The posts usually don't mention his business directly, which I guess you could read as steering clear of outright advertising, or also read as not full disclosure, depending on how you see it. I guess what matters is what's ok the way Tideland sees it.

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought about the PRIME inverter system, but in the end, I concluded that it was not big enough for my need. A portable dual fuel or even better, triple fule if you have a natural gas line to the home, would serve much better and way cheaper for the same power. I currently have a 7.5kW dual fuel portable generator that cost less than $800. But I think I will have to upgrade it with a bigger one if I want to use hot water during a power outage...

#8 Salamander_King, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    pghyndman likes this.
  9. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I try keep my posts informative on the subject of using Prii as a power source, mentioning 12v solutions as well as POP. There is not alot of knowledge widespread on this useful topic, nor alot of HV products... I try to shine a light on this topic from time to time for general utility. The Ford Lightning e/h-truck is so popular [wide public interest], in part because it has V2H capability, and I believe every Toyota/Lexus hybrid-plugin owner should know they have similar capabilities available to them.