1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Bumpy Ride and Vibrations at High Speed

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by shortyredprime, May 18, 2023.

1. shortyredprime

shortyredprime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I can be driving on a perfectly smooth road and the car feels like I am driving on a bumpy road.

I took the car into a shop where all the suspension parts were checked. No issues were found. They noticed that one tire had a bulge and I was going to replace tires in the next 3-6 months anyway, so I moved forward with new tires.

The bumpy road feel conditions continued. I took it to a different shop for alignment and they found no issues with the suspension. The car was essential already close to perfect alignment. A minor alignment adjustment was made.

After leaving the alignment shop, the vehicle now has a fast shaking, though "minor" vibration at speeds over 55, getting worse as I go faster.

I went back to the shop that did the tires for them to double check everything. Again no suspension issues were found. I also asked them to recheck the CV axles which they said feel like they have no give.

Have any of you experienced this bumpy road feel with the shaky vibrations at high speeds? Thanks.

2. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wheel balance or out of round tires?

3. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Has anyone checked your tire balancing?

I know it is a simple thing, but, ...

Trollbait likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No and I'm sorry you're experiencing these issues. Mine has (was) smooth and controlled and behaved as expected.

If the alignment and specifications are good, perhaps it's a worn or poorly mounted shock absorber or bushing?

Were the wheels properly balanced? Any cracks in the wheels?

Were all the wheel lugs properly tightened and inspected? (should be if you swapped tires but maybe the original nuts were weak?)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?
    how long time/miles have you owned her?
    at what mileage did the bumpiness/shaking begin?

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Take the car to another shop and have the tires rebalance or at least a balance checked on all four.

The tire balance machines are known to drop out of calibration. Our old shop kept a perfectly balanced tire, hanging on our wall. Whenever there was a question of machine balance accuracy, we would put that tire on to verify calibration.

Trollbait and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. shortyredprime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    67k miles
    Bumpyness started a couple of weeks ago, got a lots worse when I went over 2 bad bumps at high speed
    Tires/wheels/tie rod ends/ ball joints/cv axle all supposedly check out as fine after 3 checks
    Existed before new tires and still continues with new tire
    starting to wonder if the issue is somehow has to do with regenerative braking or some kind of engine mount or something that mounts the transmission to the frame
    Seems to be the worst and most noticeable at speeds under 10 though can be felt throughout acceleration
    usually I am a very cautious and non aggressive driver
    Thank you for taking the time to try to help

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could the bumps have damaged a strut or wheel?

maybe a dealer needs to pull off the aero covers give everything a thorough inspection

9. shortyredprime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Thank you and that is a good idea. I know of a really good mechanic that’s far away from me, but I did get a recommendation for another mechanic. I could try in the area where I’m staying. Someone also had asked how long if I had the vehicle and I’ve had it from the beginning, and I’ve taken good care of it with Routine, maintenance and beyond expected routine maintenance to be very diligent about caring for it