1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Cargo Area

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Arthur McBeth, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Arthur McBeth

Arthur McBeth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Both my wife and I own the Prius Prime. Both of us had a bad experience when loading groceries in the trunk.

I had a bottle of pasta sauce roll out and smash on our driveway when I opened the trunk.
    She had a bottle of duck sauce do the same.

I read the comments on how to install netting in the Prime. They seemed complicated to say the least.

I solved my problem by buying a TrunkCratePro from Amazon for $40. View attachment 173134 View attachment 173135 View attachment 173134

Now I load any breakable bottles that might roll around the trunk into the TrunkCrate and the problem was solved. The nice thing is it's collapsible into a small size when it is not in use.

I hope this is helpful to Prime users.
    Participants:
    TrunkCrate1.JPG TrunkCrate2JPG.JPG

motch6, kevin.c, citiprius and 3 others like this.
  2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks pretty useful. The rear deck being a couple inches higher than the lower hatch opening sure doesn't help.

Cardboard boxes would also work as a cheaper solution, but would also look cheap. I have a large plastic black bin box on the deck I store my 3rd party air pump in, the rear seat's headrests (so I can see better out the back), a few other car accessories, and a small back brace for those harder days at work hoping I hardly ever use it.

3. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They should have made the hatch a tailgate like the BMW X5.

My 4runner has a cargo shelf option which has a 1.5 inch ramp that accelerates anything rolling out of the trunk. I have the cargo net, but I always take it down because it gets in the way too often. One of these days I need to make a lip that will fill in the space between the cargo shelf and the hatch to restrain small items. Maybe the same thing could help in the Prime.