Prius Prime: detail about Charge-Mode

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by john1701a, Oct 20, 2018.

1. m8547

m8547 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think it's helpful to set realistic expectations. It would be pretty hard to get 50 miles of EV range, unless you're driving 50mph most of the way with no stops. My commute has around 7 miles at 45-55mph with traffic lights and around 8 miles at 70mph on the highway with big hills. I can get over 30 miles of range in the summer, but probably not more than 35 unless the traffic lights and planets align. In the winter I get about 20-25 miles of range on the same drive (the weather is usually sunny and 20-40 degrees F), and just over 15 miles of range if it's snowing and I need to blast the heat the whole time.

It's pretty easy to beat the EPA estimated mileage in HV mode in the Prime. I don't really keep track, but I probably average around 60. On one unusually good drive the car reported 80 mpg over a 40 mile drive on the highway, all in HV mode with the AC on. The elevation change on that drive was a net descent of 500 feet, so that helps some.

The Prime really excels at mountain driving, because it can recover so much energy going down hills. The best I've done is driving down from Mt. Evans. I started at the top (14,200 feet) with an empty battery (and averaged 30 mpg on the way up). From the top I was able to get the battery up to about 80% on the way down to I-70. Since the rest of the drive back to Denver (5,200 feet) was mostly downhill, I made it a total of about 62 miles in EV mode from the top of the mountain.

On highways it can't recover quite as much energy because the engine comes on to protect the battery, but it's still a lot more than a standard hybrid.

2. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Depends on your situation and driving style. My commute is 40 miles each way without a charger at work. I can drive all the way to work in EV mode with somewhere between 20 - 40% remaining charge.
    This is an area I haven't experimented with yet, but just to break even in terms of efficiency the gasoline motor would have to be at least 10% more efficient when charging than when driving.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You can ask how @PiPLosAngeles does it. He has >50 miles EV range on his daily commute.;)

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The range will be drastically affected by temperatures, driving speed, and how often you have to make a hard stop. On one of my common routes, speeds are 50-60 mph for 17 miles with about 19 traffic lights. On some trips those lights will force as many as 3-4 hard stops by changing at the last second. That'll take at least five miles off my range in addition to what I lose from the higher speeds.

As for charge mode, there is no free lunch. Under the right conditions, you might gain a little bit.

I noticed that while we were visiting CO. It makes me miss the mountains even more than before!! :)

5. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's an excellent ratio. There's one particular city along my route with a really lazy or inept traffic engineer. Of 14 traffic lights along my route in that particular city, I customarily encounter 60 - 80% of them red, even though I'm traveling at 5:00 am and there is no cross traffic to trip them. This morning 11 of them were red.

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm with ya! I was just counting the ones that turn at the last second so you have to slam on the brakes. That's like throwing money out the window. We typically have to stop for over 50% of lights on almost all our roads. It's just that when you see it change early enough and traffic permits, you can coast and regen and if you can do that enough, it will actually help your mpg or m/kWh on a Prime. :)

7. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Until the guy behind you zooms around you and has to stop at the light, forcing you to have to hit the brakes instead of coasting through. :mad:

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    EVERY DAY!! :mad::mad: SEVERAL TIMES!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Prodigyplace likes this.