1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime detailed sound proofing procedure.

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by RobertZ, Jul 21, 2018.

1. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd like to add some to my roof, not as tingey sounding as the doors though. Figure you need to pop off the front pilers and sides where seat belts bolt on. Remove visors and light.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I never looked at roof because I felt most road noise coming from firewall, wheels and door/floor area.
    I also don't hear any noise from the roof.
    Because car sits so low on the road that road noise on porous surface is unavoidable.
    For now I am done with this project :)
    BTW: I had a friend over the weekend and he has 2014 Lexus LS460 and he was sufficiently impressed with the noise suppression.

PaulthePriusAddict and audiodave like this.
  3. ashton.agar

ashton.agar New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    IV
    Wow!
    Great Job n nice picture collection.

i expect it will help me to sound app installation.

4. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used to have an LS 460 and if I were your friend, I'd pretend to be "nice" too. Worst thing to do is bad talking about another man's ride. But honestly between the two, there is no comparison. The other one rides quiet like a tomb.

douglasjre likes this.
  5. Rc9000

Rc9000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just to make sure, you did not do the hatch door correct? I had bought a pack of dynamat Xtreme and 5 packs of of Dynaliner 1/8” (models 11101 & 10455) I was planning on doing the hatch but I’d much rather use material in other locations/ wheel well if that will make a larger impact.
    I just will have to look more into the wheel well Install more. 1st things 1st, I need to get the car planning to upgrade this month though.

6. griffibaby

griffibaby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks so much for your post and pics. While I would like to do a complete install, my budget won't allow it. So, having said that, I'll start with the wheel wells and go from there.
    I've really looked into sound proofing and see some DIYers have attempted this by using insulation from Walmart to the whole 9 yards using soundproofing tiles and various foam overlays. If I'm going to invest in the materials and time, I want the best materials.

Two of my wheel well "liners" have been ripped off and need replacing so starting with the wheel wells makes sense. One of the posts mentioned a soundproofing spray for the wheel wells. I'd like to know more about that if I read the post correctly.
    Robert, your detailed post makes this a doable project (even for a girl . . . Ok, ladies don't criticize my reference).

7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When did you buy your car? If it is only 6 years old, the battery should be covered by warranty.

"Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under the Emissions Coverage. Refer to your Owner’s Warranty Information booklet for details."

Take lots of pictures please!

8. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I never did the roof as most of sound issue is from the tire/road noise.

9. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So after 8 months of driving I am still bothered by sound on some of the porous roads. I switched to Michelin Defenders and guess what very little improvement :-(
    They did alignment check and it was off by a bit in the rear, front needs minor adjustment too.
    I have not done this yet but I will get it done tomorrow.
    I am wondering if bad alignment would increase the noise.
    I must be dreaming but I though with just electric motor there should be very little noise but clearly lot of noise is due to road/tires and not ICE or electric motor.

kenoarto likes this.
  10. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You should check out SecondSkinAudio web site. They have some kind of paste material that would be easy to apply in wheel wells.
    Good luck.

11. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This "Spectrum Sludge 1 Gallon" looks like it would be very quick & easy to apply once the black plastic wheel well cover was removed. I might give this stuff a try sometime this summer, all that's really needed is a rubber glove and maybe a putty knife.

Spectrum Sludge - 1 Gallon * MADE IN USA* - Second Skin Audio

Rob43

kenoarto likes this.
  12. David Rush

David Rush Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Has anyone taken out the headliner yet?
    I am wondering how easy the A pillar trim pops off with airbags behind and if I have to go through all the airbag dis-arm protocol.

kenoarto likes this.
  13. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Which sound does a material do you guys think is the best?

14. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    @RobertZ do you happen to notice if this material is lighter than the Dynamats / Noico sound damping materials. I used Noico in my regular Prius and it was quiter/better than without it. I wouldn't quite say LEXUS quiet but sanely quiet;)

kenoarto likes this.
  15. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used sound deadening in my front doors and hatch and spare tire area, my car is heavy now lol, getting like 36 mpg.

16. kojack

kojack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I just sold my Jeep wrangler Unlimited and I am getting a 2021 Prime technology package soon. I was going to do this with the Jeep as they are notoriously loud. I am going to continue on my path of quiet driving and complete the same job you have done with sound deading materials. Quiet and relaxing is my main goal now. Well that and getting more than 350-400km per tank.

17. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Welcome to Prius and the forum.
    Prius already comes with double pane window glass so you will not hear much of traffic nosie.
    The road noise is noticeable that's why I added sound proofing on the floor and doors (and wheel wells).
    All the best with your project.
    PS: What do you mean 400 km per tank? I get about 600 miles just on a one gas tank. That's about 900+ km. If you charge every night it goes up to 1000 miles (1600 km). You will be pleasantly surprised how good this car is regarding gas milage.

18. kojack

kojack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    In the Wrangler I mean. Not the Prius. Hence one of the reasons I am buying it. The other is that most of my driving around town is less than 60 km per day, so I will never burn gas doing those things. I am installing a level 2 charger on my garage behind my house for charging so do some errands plug back in and charge up. Can I just keep it plugged in and it will regulate the charge itself?

19. kojack

kojack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    See post above!

20. Desertdeals69

Desertdeals69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I found a lot of noise was coming from the tires. I bought a 17 prime advanced about a month ago. It was quiet compared to my 14 plug in. The tires on the 17 were michelin premiers and on my 14 were Yokohamas. The wheels on the 14 were aftermarket so I switched wheels and tires between the two cars. The loud rumble also switched. I went to the tire store and bought michelin defenders, to replace the yokohamas, which were much quieter but still not as quiet as the premiers. I switched to premiers and its very quiet. I did this all within 3 days.