1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime door light wire

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by randomwalk101, Apr 28, 2018.

1. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone knows which wire is the door light on a 2017 Prius Prime? I know I can tab into the door on the door itself and run a wire into the cab but going through the door plug is going to be hell...

I'm trying to find the 12v door wire to hook up the door sill light...or if you have a better method I'm all ears.

I have access to the "welcome" light or puddle light...This may be a possibility...

2. VVTiBob

VVTiBob Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ^ i can confirm. this is how my dealer installed door sill lights are.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The European manual for the same accessory tells you the wire colors at the left and right footwell lights.

The Electrical Wiring Diagram and the diagram of the Footwell Light Circuit in the Repair Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com) show that unswitched power (pink or gray) comes from the 7.5 A DOME fuse, but not through the DOME CUT relay. Ground (green or white) is connected to the FSPT terminal on the Main Body ECU, where it is switched by a transistor.

5. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks guys...

My original intent was to tap into the stock footwell light but I tested it with a multi-meter and it's not 12v. The voltage is very weak so I'm not sure it'll light up the aftermarket illuminated door sill (which requires 12v). I think Toyota OEM door sill uses lower voltage?

6. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The door courtesy lights are 12-volt incandescent lamps. They are connected to the 7.5 A DOME circuit, switched by the DOME CUT relay, by red wires on terminals 1 and 2 of No. 22 Junction Connector (N96), and to ground by beige wires on terminal 1 (anode) of two diodes, N18 (left) and N19 (right).

The cathode connections (terminal 2) of these diodes are pink (left) and red (right) wires, connected through a junction connector (left) or splice (right) to ground via the courtesy light switch assemblies; to the FLCY and FRCY input terminals of the Main Body ECU; and for the left side only, to the CTY input terminal of the Skid Control ECU.

There will be a small voltage drop across the diodes, of course, which are in the circuit so the courtesy light switch assemblies can both control the lamps and provide a door open/closed input to the ECUs.

7. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Something is off then. I stick a multimeter in the footwell light (again) and voltage is in the milivolt (not volt). I stuck a regular led with resistor designed for 12v and it won’t turn it on. Plug the stock footwell back in and it turns on. Clearly the stock led is not operating on 12v. Strange.

8. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For the footwell lights, the Terminals of ECU chart in the Lighting (Int) section of the Repair Manual says the voltage between terminals 3A-36 or 3A-37 of the Instrument Panel Junction Block Assembly (both connected to the FSPT terminal of the Main Body ECU) and body ground should be “11 to 14 V” with the footwell lights off, and “Below 2.2 V” with the footwell lights at full brightness.

The door courtesy lights are different, since there is no transistor in the circuit, just the diode.

9. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the info...but I'm not sure I understand it fully.
    So what you're saying is when the footwell light is ON, like when you open the door, the voltage is 2.2V and when the light is OFF (like when you go in, close the door and just sit there for a minute), the voltage on the light is 11-14V?

If that's the case, it kind of match what I measured...light on, the voltage is very low...couldn't even light up my regular LED test light...So it kid of defeat the purpose of hooking up the sill door lights in it to turn it on.

10. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The positive terminals of the footwell lights are always connected to the auxiliary battery, at 11 to 14 volts, relative to body ground. The negative terminals are connected to the FSPT terminal of the Main Body ECU.

To turn the lights off, the Main Body ECU keeps its FSPT terminal at 11 to 14 volts, relative to body ground, so there is essentially no difference in voltage between the positive and negative terminals of the lights, and negligible current flows through them. To turn the lights on at full brightness, the Main Body ECU pulls its FSPT terminal down to 2.2 volts or less, relative to body ground, so there is a voltage difference of 11.8 to 8.8 volts across the lights, current flows, and the lights illuminate.
    If you set the interior lights to full brightness, and then measure the voltage between the two terminals of one of the footwell light connectors, what do you find?

11. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup...that’s the same concept with the welcome light or puddle light on the B pillar. But putting the meter to those wires gave a solid constant 12v and the other wire 0 to 12v (may not be exact 0).

Anyways, interior is one click below max brightness. If I set it on max the Navi screen won’t dim at night.

12. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A little late but did you get this sorted out? My footwell lights are dim and now the lightup doorsill won't come on.