1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime hit piece on electrek.co

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by zxcvbn, Feb 27, 2017.

1. zxcvbn

zxcvbn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brutal. it's almost as if he has no knowledge regarding the field he is writing about.

he calls the heat pump an electric heater. well i guess it is, if misguiding your audience is your intention.

he does make some good points though, even if negative, but he fails to mention price, when offering up alternatives.

it is unfortunate that toyota didn't follow up with him, as we have a member here with the same problem of the ice coming on in cold weather.

#2 bisco, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Insirt, kevin54 and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  3. fnostro

fnostro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The article is...unfortunate.

But I didn't pick the Prime because I wanted an EV. And a 24 mile range hardly makes it a Tesla.
    No, I just wanted a battery assist on the Hybrid. A step up from the regular Prius.
    That, and the fancy-shmancy 11.6" tablet front and center.
    It's the reason I went with the Prime Premium over the base model :) So, thank you Tesla for pushing the bar :)

Also, in my entire driving experience, from my first '91 Ford T-Bird to my current '17 Prime, I have never, ever considered the rear "hump seat" to be a "very necessary seat". Who in their right mind would try to fit 5 people in a compact?

But, that said, the reduction of "trunk" space is a minor problem for me, but not a deal breaker. 60/40 split fold down rear seats do nicely when necessary

bwilson4web and huskers like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not so sure.

The Prime and the Prius can be about the same price if you don't get sucked into buying up-optioned models, and if you live in a state that ads a little to the federal kick back money.....so the Prime >Prius message is still valid.

Also valid is the fact that the Prime is a four seater with a much smaller cargo bay than the hatch.
    Being a four-seater wasn't a big deal (pun almost unintended) when Volts had four seats and Pips had five.....and it's still not that big a deal now that Prius fans have to suffer the same slings and arrows now that the number of seat belts have reversed themselves.
    Or?
    How do you like me NOW? :)

Most commuters are 1+0, so this is an issue that's mostly not.

Pips used to be challenging to drive in EV only, and Primes made improvements on that - but they're STILL a PHEV and not an EV.

Range is range.
    10 is 10 and 25 is 25.
    Both values will vary with age and the environment.
    If you live where there is no weather, then this will be less of a problem.

The one aspect of Primedom that the article DID mention is that the Prime doesn't look like the hatch.....er........exactly, even though the pictures did illustrate the unfortunate porcelain interior.
    The only aspect of Primedom that the article DID NOT mention is the fact that, warts and all, the hatch and the PHEV are both remarkably efficient in gasser mode, and improvements have been made to the G4's seats (some say) and handling that also apply to the Prime.

If you have your mind made up to buy a Prime, or already own one then no "hit piece" will dissuade you from getting one or enjoying the one that you already have, and if INFORMATION keeps a Prime buyer from becoming a disgruntled Prius owner, then I'd say give us more hit pieces, please!!!!

YMMV

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In one respect the article 'manages user expectations' but one photo of snow is not enough. I suspect it was frightfully cold to this 'son of the South' and that may have had a lot to do with the engine springing into life unexpectedly. It would have been nice to have more details about the weather during his test period.

Bob Wilson

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The hybrid is the future of the auto industry. The article does not even attempt to discuss mileage. 25 miles of EV is almost good enough, and I expect it to increase with future models. The engine issue is, at best, murky. It comes on for reasons which can be obscure. I am guessing it was to keep the coolant temperature up. It does this whether you are using the heat or not. No discussion of reliability or expected life of the car. Generally a waste of publication time.

7. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the elephant in the room is price. no mention made in tharticle. sure, go buy an i-3 instead. oh what, twice as much? that doesn't matter to anyone, does it?

he even recommends an ionique over prime. great, where can i buy one?:confused:

and finally, the toilet paper comment shows his true agenda.

9. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sad article. I am up in the northeast, I get cold weather. I had to laugh at the snow in the charge port picture. I have done that when I wasn't thinking and pulled the plug without first brushing off the snow. I have never had snow get under the cover when the port is closed. That looks like he let snow get in then pulled out the charge cable to make it look bad. It was amusing having played with my car in 2 feet of snowfall. The only area I know of that I have complained about the ICE coming on is down hill and up hill climbs that are a little too much for the EV system. Otherwise I have had great experience with EV staying pure EV. All winter I have used the defroster twice and knew what was going to happen when I did. Otherwise I tell the car to defrost front and back each morning before I go outside.

I would respond but you can't really convince someone who is so set that something isn't for them that it isn't as bad as they make it out to be. I don't like to waste my time in general.

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  10. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This guy was only trying to make the Prime look bad !
    The video isn't of very good quality but one can clearly see that he was driving in either Hybrid- or EV-Auto mode as the Primes does not show an EV-mode as a drive mode on the display because it's the Primes standard mode !
    The gas engine will start in EV-Auto and of course in Hybrid-Mode if the Primes programming thinks it's more efficient.
    The guy has no idea what he is talking about !

bisco likes this.
  11. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I couldn't resist and responded. I tried but I am not good at behaving myself :D.

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  12. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Poor thing. The weather, the snow, the shopping, must have driven this guy to the brink of a mass shooting murderer. My condolences. Move to California. He won't need the pills he is currently and will be taking rest of his life. California is that good.

bisco likes this.
  13. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My Advanced shows a little green "EV" in a box at turn on. That vanishes if I run the Traction Battery down to 0 EV miles or press the EV <-> HV switch to put it into HV. The "nothing displayed mode" is HV, at least for my car and what my manual says.

14. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not sure why the author had the ICE coming on all the time. Mine never does when in EV mode. Maybe he doesn't know how to drive properly and has his foot to the floor all the time. Maybe he's driving in EV Auto mode.

#14 MikeDee, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mike, can you change your car data, or add to your signature if you own multiple prius?

16. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes sure.

iPhone ? Pro

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, it helps when reading advice.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does.

There's an "EV MODE" in a green box. Same place as EV Auto.

It's HV mode that doesn't have a display.

bisco likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    D*mn it, made me look:
    I ran it in 1/4 speed, full screen, YouTube, and it clearly shows he was on the steepest part going up a hill:
    • lat 41.226755 lon -73.871907
    • intersection of E Mt Airy Rd & Joseph Wallace Drive
    • New York Topographic Maps by Topo Zone - shows climbing at least 50 ft (i.e., 5 stories) when 'event occurs'
    • car is under MANUAL not cruise control which is off
    • the driver accelerates from 36 to 42 mph climbing a steep grade when the engine comes on
    • cell phone(?) or camera was manually held which reveals the truth of this lie
    The guy is 'alternate news' and you made me look!

Bob Wilson

#19 bwilson4web, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    None of which should matter. It shouldn't come out of EV unless you hit the 200 mile engine start interval. Or, if something is wrong with the car.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.