1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime IRS Credit Certification - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JJgrubs, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I hope so. I tried calling IRS about this year's tax return 21 days after my form was accepted. But, like you, my call never got through. Then I read an article pointing out that they are being delayed due to a pandemic. So, I am just checking my return on the IRS where is my refund site. So far, it has been giving me the "Your tax return is still being processed." answer for over a month now.

#21 Salamander_King, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  2. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I electronically filed in February and it took until last week to get my refund.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So did I. Filed on 2/12, the first day IRS started accepting the file. It was accepted a few days after. I always file early, and historically was getting a refund within two weeks after filing. This is the first time it is taking this long. I filed early last year too, so my refund was already in my bank before the pandemic hit the nation in early March.

4. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe the OP's situation is due to three things and has nothing to do with his dealer or Toyota. First, the IRS does not have enough employees to do their job. Second, because of the pandemic many are working from home. Third, the IRS was given a huge extra job in determining eligibility for and distributing the stimulus checks. I suspect that it will be a year before these literally millions of glitches will be sorted out.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. JJgrubs

JJgrubs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok final update (important for future peeps who might be in the same situation):
    After that second deficiency letter, I sent yet again:
    - A screenshot of the IRS website showing the Prius Prime 2019 was eligible for a refund. I highlighted the Prius Prime 2019 phrase.
    - A scan of the car deed (which shows the VIN). I highlighted the VIN.
    - I printed a Word document with pictures of my vehicle, both from the side (showing the Prius Prime logo) and the back (with the plate and the charging port open). I typed captions under each of the pictures explaining what they were. I was desperate to prove this darn car was a plug-in hybrid lol.

I sent that to the address on the letter. I also sent those same documents along with a filled out Request for Appeals Review (Form 12203) with an explanation (which included the IRS website link to the plug-in hybrids that meet the tax credit).

Today, I received a letter from the IRS where they said they are closing their examination with no changes to my 2019 tax return. So it looks like everything worked out fine in the end. So if you're reading this and are in the same issue as myself, the above seemed to work well enough.

Thanks everyone.

6. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for sharing - very valuable info!

dtsexpert likes this.
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Boy!! They really made you EARN that $4502.00. Hopefully I won't run into these same hassles when I file my 2021 taxes.

I've received mail audits from the IRS in the past. What really peeved me, on my first audit - they don't tell you that the documents you submitted are acceptable proof. I stewed for two months, before heading to the local IRS office to ask them the deposition of my case. The lady at the desk, nonchalantly stated, "If you don't get a followup letter - It's settled". I'm actually surprised they sent you a letter, stating the case is closed....

#27 BiomedO1, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IRS is still working on the backlog of tax files. FYI, I did not get the refund for my 2020 tax return which included the $4502 EV tax credit filed on 2/12 until the end of June. I hope I don't have to wait that long for next year.