1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime launch again delayed!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Mister MMT, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course there is! Join my 10 mph daily journey along the Bayshore freeway. Hope you enjoy the San Francisco city sky line, you'll see a lot of it. If you really like it, you can drive in the non HOV lanes at half the speed. I love my green decals! I also love that people say the HOV lanes are saturated and useless. I'm saving up to 20 minutes going through this corridor alone towards the Bay Bridge. 10 mph is not slow if the car next to you is going 5.

I won't be in the market for another vehicle until 2019 when my current decals expire but I find it interesting that one of the reasons Volt 1.0 was off my list of cars to purchase in 2012 because it didn't have a 5th seat. In 2019 Volt 2.0 is on my list and Prime will not be if Toyota doesn't find a way to get that 5th seat in there.

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, it should be all electric (with more than 200 miles) or hybrid. I reserved a Model 3.

RubberToe likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cause the translating software is wrong.

2016年08月03日

This translates to 3rd August 2016. (The characters are year, month, day)

Well it should be. It's been 18 years since the Prius was first launched in Japan so Toyota has a sizable lead in the ability to reduce cost and for the Gen 4, I think they've pretty much brought the cost down to near parity to a regular car. In other words, buying a Prius is no different than spending a bit more for an optional powertrain (e.g. choosing a V6 vs. a 4 cylinder). It also helps that the Prius tends to get the tech toys first before other Toyota-branded vehicles.

Well the press release is just for Japan. Why would TMS or TME say anything if that release doesn't affect them?

This is one downside of the internet lol. Yes we get more information but speculation also runs awry.

drash likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right. I forgot about that. So a change in AER is actually easier than a 5th seat.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the usa delay announcement hasn't come yet, but...

6. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Pocket

disco - I well remember the rollout of the original Prius PHEV. I do not have a fond recall. I have to say that this has been a fine car for me with no repairs of any kind and it has performed just as it was designed. I also have a 2014 Highlander hybrid which has also been flawless. The prospect of getting hopes up and then disappointment over and over does not appeal. Perhaps this closed attitude of Toyota toward customers is good for business but it is not their best quality in my view. Like you, I can get by with what I have just fine.

bisco likes this.
  7. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So has that been delayed? Because previously, it implied it was arriving late 2016 with the solar roof availability in early 2017. If it's arriving in 2017, then there's no need for the solar roof disclaimer (and I don't see it anywhere)

9. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think you may be right!

Also, I have to confess that I wrote to Toyota and suggested that they should offer the option of the ac inverter in the US several months ago. I have a perfect record of their taking my advice. So that is probably coming as well.

Trollbait, bisco and drash like this.
  10. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is a real change. They are going to contact all customers in person who pre-ordered one because of certain business tax advantages that only apply when the car is delivered before the start of 2017. They suggest them to cancel the order if these tax advantages are decisive.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looking at the thread title, is this the second delay?

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With the Mirai getting the PTD option, maybe Toyota will take your advice.;)

Which means we won't be getting it I'm afraid. The Japanese inverter for home power works through the optional Chademo plug and a special EVSE. Those EVSE will be available for the Mirai PTD, but might cost up to $10k.
    It is counting the initial delay for the Prius and plug in.

13. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As the OP, I should answer this question.

In a July, 21 2015 article in GCR, the 4 gen Prius was announced within a few months, and the Plug-in version for roughly one year later. But also, that production of the current 1 gen Plug-in ended in June 2015.

This led certain observers to the conclusion that the launch of the 2 gen Plug-in was delayed, in order to be able to develop a model with an extended EV range and increased available power in EV mode.

As an example, I can cite Johnths2, the administrator of the Dutch Toyota Hybrid Forum in this discussion.

It is true, however, that from the moment the 2 gen was presented back in March of this year, it was said to be released in September 2016.

Jan

bisco likes this.
  14. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But also see my contribution to that very short discussion: as I saw it, at that time everything went as planned and John misinterpreted things a bit. So, I think what we have now is the first and one and only delay.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and still, only in japan?

16. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also Toyota.nl had to adapt their plans now, as they assumed they would be able to sell them before the end of this year, and now they state that this will not be possible anymore.

bisco likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What automaker has rolled out a plug-in on as anticipated? Look at the distribution delay that happened with gen-2 Volt. And that was just this market. Toyota is attempting worldwide.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it doesn't really matter when it comes out in the u.s., since it won't sell until gas prices go up.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Isn't that what people say about EV sales?

20. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I love my 4th Gen wouldn't trade it for the world at this point. Looks great, handles like a dream, fast (if you want it to be) and turns heads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.