1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius prime mpg fully stuffed + skybox 44-42 mpg highway

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by mczouav, Dec 23, 2017.

1. mczouav

mczouav Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi everyone,
    Our first long trip with our brand new prius prime 2017 surprised me on the mpg side. With a depleted battery ( no ev range available) and fully loaded with our stuff (2 adults + a baby) with a yakima 21ft3 skybox on universal standart roofbars does only 44-42 mpg on highway. During the trip i noticed where possible to drive 80-83 mph, mpg displayed a range of 40-42 mpg. While at 70-75 mph, it was a bit better at 44 ish mpg. This is averaged over 1800 miles during outside temperatures 80-60 F. Air conditionning seem to have no impact on mpg at those speeds. I was wondering if others have similar results. Cheers. Max

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    EPA is below 60mph,
    Add a brick and high speeds your result is expected.

Might consider mounting the box off a trailer hitch and MPGs would improve

CraigM likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only?? :confused:o_O

At that speed, that is better than an unloaded Gen3 Liftback can do with no roof rack, no external cargo box. It is great that a Prime can get such results with all these fuel-sucking impediments.
    Updated MPG vs MPH chart | PriusChat

mczouav and Mark57 like this.
  4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, you did have power in your battery - it is never below 20% - it just doesn't show up on the dash info. Charge ranges from 20% to 80%, for the reliability of the battery, so you very likely had at least the normal HV hybrid battery power available like all Prius hybrids have always had. That helps to eek out a few more MPG's (though probably not at 85 mph).

Second, only low 40's? Really? You sound disappointed. That actually is stunning with totally ruining the Prime's 0.26 drag coefficient with that box on top, and at those highway speeds you were doing, and fully loaded, and with the air on. You could only get less with high headwinds, all uphill and below 25 degrees or higher than 85 degrees and a trailer hitch and bikes on the back. A normal gas car would struggle to get 18 mpg.

Drive it with no box, one person, slightly better battery SOC, and below 68 mph, and see if you can't achieve the 64 mpg I've been able to get on a tank, and gas only. The car can do it if you don't push the limits.

fuzzy1 and Mark57 like this.
  5. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    44-42 mpg, with a luggage box on the roof, at 80 Mph? That's amazing! In similar conditions,except the season (summer) my Gen 3 consumption were around 37 mpg . Believe me, yours is an excellent result..

mczouav, fuzzy1 and Mark57 like this.
  6. mczouav

mczouav Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks all for your input. I had no idea these numbers of consumption were actually in a good range as i could not find any info about this configuration online. Cheers.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

fuzzy1 and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, you wouldn't because the situation and combo is too rare. And mostly, even if there was a duplicate situation, you'd only hear about it here, as we did, from you. Be proud you have the car you do and hopes that you can let your Prime stretch its wings and show what it can really do w/o the cargo box on rural roads in HV mode. And also continuously in EV mode too. Drive happy.

mczouav likes this.
  8. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, with my Gen 3 what surprised me was the fact that at low speeds (30-45 mph) the fuel consumption of the car with the roof box where actually better than without it... I believe that the reason was that the additional load due to the cargo box drag resistance provoked the intervention of ICE, while normally at such low speeds HSD tends to set EV mode quickly depleting the small traction battery.

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just recently calculated 104 mpg for the last 721 miles. mph 55 with CC and 2000 foot mountains.

10. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How much of that was EV miles? Either way, that's incredible with mountainous driving. As you have no doubt figured out, the mileage drop-off with higher average speeds is fairly dramatic. Remember the oil crisis of the 70's? When they lowered the speed limits to 55, they knew a thing or two about drag and efficiency.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I sort of adopted the double nickel as my driving style on the freeway. Here in Ca it’s gotten really bad, speeding, following too close, constant lane change from #1to #3 then back to #1, It’s crazy. Even the Tractor trailers don’t abide by 55 Mph, that’s the law. Cops enforce almost nothing.
    To answer your question, I didn’t keep track of EV miles, I know it’s good as my trip consist of mostly EV.
    Driving mode is Eco/EV.
    On trips I’ll take it up to the speed limit.
    Overall I have decided to drive much more defensively and let all the schmucks kill themselves.
    Many people don’t even look when entering the freeway, some of those think they have right of way!
    I just pull behind the interloper and the autoCC slows me down as well as the other traffic wanting to enter the freeway, the cognizant ones. Much less mental strain and tension that way.

12. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The trip odometer thingy has seven readouts. One of them is EV vs. gas miles ratio. Helpful, kinda, if you believe the car is not lying to you.

13. mczouav

mczouav Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Last trip with 2 adults 1 baby and fully loaded prius prime, hills of mississippi and alabama, no skybox, 90F out, air on eco. : @60 mph constant speed on little state roards: 59 mpg, at 77 mph highway i get 53 mpg. This is pretty good :)

Andyprius1 and Tideland Prius like this.
  14. Every time one schmuck kills himself on the road, it seems another gets his license! :mad: [​IMG]