1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - official prices paid thread

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Will_Prius16, Dec 20, 2016.

1. SecEng

SecEng New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just purchased one several days ago from Buffalo, NY, arranged for carrier to pick it up, and delivered a few days ago. Some dealerships will ship it for you; if not, then you'll have to find your own shipper via online brokers. FYI, dealerships in the Buffalo area seems to offer better and competitive deals. Good luck!

Athex likes this.
  2. jeminy9

jeminy9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Would you mind sharing how much shipping cost you?, I am assuming it will be very expensive from NY to TX.

You and 682 others likes this.
  3. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    2020 Prime XLE Magnetic Gray Metallic
    MSRP 30,689
    -$3,000 Toyota Customer Cash
    -$1,100 NYS Drive Clean Instant Rebate
    -$2,000 Dealer Discount negotiated with 6ish different dealerships, pitting them against each other
    (-$25 gift card for test drive)
    (-$50 gift card using my wife as the referral)
    (-$4,502 Federal Tax Credit)
    Selling price before TTL: $24,589 (or $20,012 after federal incentive and gift cards)
    OTD, new registration, + 7.5% Sales Tax = $26,966

Dorschel Toyota in Rochester NY using Price Match from Romano Toyota in Syracuse.

Putting tax aside, since that's consistent regardless of vehicle, I'm looking at it as a $20k new Prime!

Here was my technique:
    Pre 12/14, have been watching the customer cash for months, considering, considering considering....
    1.) 12/14 I searched all dealerships within a 75 mile radius for a Magnetic Gray Metallic XLE trim and created a google sheet
    2.) 12/14 I e-mailed service managers from the 6ish dealerships and instructed them to e-mail me a detailed PDF for this specific color, model by close of business, Friday, 12/20 if they wanted to be considered. I made it clear I had no trade in, needed no financing, did not need to talk to a sales person, understood customer cash, rebates, etc most likely better than their sales people do. so I just wanted an itemized offer with the most dealer credit they could do.
    3.) 12/20 - Printed and reviewed the 3 offers I received (best of which was -$1,300), posted the best one in this thread for feedback. An amazing member @MarkOlin pointed me in the direction of a different dealership in the area he received an offer of MSRP -2k from.
    4.) 12/21 (Sat.)- I called 2 of the dealerships I did not hear from over the course of the week along with those that submitted offers (one very close to me) and said I had an offer of -2k did they want to meet it? Most said they couldn't go above what they offered, but, one said they could offer -1.5k unless I had the -2k in writing. Contacted Romano Toyota based on the lead from MarkOlin, sadly they did not have the color I wanted in stock, got the -2k in writing (sales manager was mean and pissy). Contacted other dealership back by e-mail, said I had it in writing, setup meeting for 9am Monday right when they opened.
    5.) 12/23 (Mon.) - First time stepping into a dealership - Met at 9am, they honored their word (with only a little back and forth about how the one from Romano had more accessories and the one I am buying does not). Filled out paperwork. 1:30 picked up vehicle.

#3543 Cdgreg, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Travis64 likes this.
  4. Athex

Athex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CdGreg,
    Thanks for the post! I would think the dealers would be more interested in clearing these out before the end of the year but most of the ones I contacted wont budge on basically the 1k-1500 off range.

5. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The offers I had from different dealerships were $1,000, $1,100, $1,300, then $1,500 based on me claiming I had -2k, and finally the $2,000 that no one really wanted to touch. I even had a really kind e-mail from the sales manager from one of the huge dealerships near us (who was at $1,100 initially), he told me even with their volume the -2k be too much of a loss, and he recommend I go buy it at -2k as soon as I can. If it fell through to reach back out to him. The very local (huge) dealership that initially offered $1,500 and ultimately matched it said they only did because they have a "price match guarantee policy." Feels to me like within my region of NY, anywhere between -$1,000 and -$1,500 is a fair purchase price if you don't feel like really fighting.

I've been watching local stock of the XLE in the color I wanted for a month or so based on VINs, they were selling relatively quickly from the large dealerships, but much, much slower at the small dealerships. I would have really preferred the blind spot monitoring, additional 5 JBL speakers, heated steering wheel, and (unnecessary) auto-parallel park, but $4,000 more was just too much of a MSRP jump and Limited stock was significantly short compared to XLEs.

Athex likes this.
  6. lindyq

lindyq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I took delivery today! 2020 XLE, Blizzard Pearl. Quoted MSRP was $31,378, including all weather floor and cargo liners, door edge guards, wheel locks, and rear bumper guards, but they didn't have the exact car in stock so had to wait a few days for them to locate one. It arrived without the wheel locks and bumper applique, which I didn't want anyway, so they knocked $117 off for that, dealer discount of $2,764, Toyota Mass. rebate of $2,000, doc, title, license fees of $485. They gave me a fair price on my trade in ($7,000 for a 2012 Prius III in decent but not perfect condition) and 3 years of maintenance, rather than the usual 2. I opted to get a 7 year vehicle service agreement for $1,080. I first started negotiating with another dealer, who offered only about $1,800 dealer discount, and $5,000 for the trade-in. I got the winning deal from Lexington Toyota through TrueCar. I didn't haggle with them at all and the whole thing was a pleasant, low-key experience. I also got great financing through my credit union -- 2.94% for 48 months, and Lexington Toyota handled all the paperwork for the loan. I'm a happy camper!

dig4dirt likes this.
  7. MarkOlin

MarkOlin Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Purchased a new Silver LE today.
    MSRP: $28,879
    Discount: - $2100
    Sales tax 8%: + $2142
    Doc fee: + $75
    NYS Inspection: + $10
    Tire tax: + $10
    New plates:
    NYS rebate: - $1100
    Toyota incentive: - $3000
    out the door: $24980
    Fed tax credit to come: $4502

#3547 MarkOlin, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Travis64 and 2020 Peter Prime like this.
  8. Athex

Athex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I have a feeling they might be selling too fast to get any discount large enough to make it worthwhile to ship... lets see though

9. SecEng

SecEng New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm in the MN so it cost me $800 (including the actual cost + broker fee). Typical, the cost could be between 45-75 cent per mile, and all online transporters are brokers.

turapeach likes this.
  10. turapeach

turapeach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Picked up our 2020 blue XLE with black interior yesterday from Heritage Toyota Catonsville (suburb of Baltimore). They say they won't be giving this deal again in the foreseeable future due to the overwhelming response from PriusChat peeps. :whistle:
    Base Price: 29,838
    Freight Charge: 955
    Dealer Processing Charge: 299
    Subtotal before tax and discounts: 31,092

Retail price adjustment: -3,153.53
    MD Toyota cash back: -2,000.00
    Uber driver cash back: - 750.00
    Total before TTL: $25,188.47

Kentucky sales tax: 1676.31
    Registration, temp tag, etc. 226.00

OTD: $27090.78 - paid with a cashier's check

and I got all weather mats and cargo for free!

Thanks everyone for all your help! My sweetie loves his new car!

#3550 turapeach, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  11. Athex

Athex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Clearly, at 3.1k off I would definitely go for it.

12. PMitch

PMitch New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Almost the exact same deal. Had them throw in body side body molding, pin striping, door edge guards,and rear bumper guard...

13. emrld

emrld New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What dealer was this? That's a base price of $23,508, correct? Also in northern cal and I mistakenly quoted another dealership for a base of $23,900 and they said that was too good to be true and weren't willing to match or beat or others requested i send proof of the quote... I'd be interested in getting a price from this dealership

14. jeminy9

jeminy9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Would you mind sharing the deal details please($, sales person and dealership)?, you can message me if you don't want to make it public. Thank you.

15. emrld

emrld New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the Uber and triathlon incentives exclusive to only certain dealerships or all dealerships. Can't seem to find an official listing of the incentive other than from specific dealerships. Want to have an official toyota statement on it in case i get a dealer that will try to not let me get the incentive.

16. New earth

New earth New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That is a very good rate. What is the name of your credit union?

17. turapeach

turapeach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are the forms again. Notice that you needed to join the Triathlon organization by October 31 to qualify for that one and the Uber one expires on January 6.

Attached Files:

MTN, dig4dirt, Athex and 1 other person like this.
  18. emrld

emrld New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks!

Curious, what did people do for the vehicle info part? List your current 2004+ car, which includes a vehicle inspection at a car center (sounds troublesome), or just sign up for one of the partnering rental services?

19. TangoAlpha

TangoAlpha New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Received the below quote. Wondering if this is a good deal or if I should keep looking?

Southern CA, 2020 XLE Blizzard Pearl:

31,500 vehicle price
    -1,300 discount
    -1,500 rebate
    +2,300 tax
    +530 fees

OTD 31,500

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

#3559 TangoAlpha, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  20. 2020 Peter Prime

2020 Peter Prime New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good morning,
    Good morning,

I am on the market for 2020 Prime (LE Silver).
    What is the best Dealer discount I can get in NYC Metro area?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.