1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - official prices paid thread

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Will_Prius16, Dec 20, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect with reduced demand comes reduced production, so they won't have to discount as deeply

2. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ok I looked on Cargurus. I was looking for private sellers, but didn't really find any (admittedly I didn't do a thorough search). Further, I saw many ads like this one which are false advertising (quoting a Prime Premium in the ad title when it's actually a Plus). Several ads showing up like that and coming up as 3 – 4k under the median price on car gurus because they are mislabeled.

3. utsug

utsug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check Carvana.com, looks like their price went up. Mine is $19k for 2018 Plus with 45k miles.

4. motch6

motch6 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes they are still making them! They just had a shipment come in about a week ago. I can confirm this because i had several dealers fighting for my business. It was hard to get them because not many dealerships aren't doing trades right now!

I have to agree. Look at CarGuru or something local to your area. In Utah we have a local news station (KSL) that has a classifieds online section that is heavily used. Your car should sell pretty fast in SoCal. Right now may take a bit longer because many aren't buying.

As for buying a Hyundai or Chevy... OH PLEASE DON"T.... Don't go junk, you'll regret it. Buy a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic... if you're looking for inexpensive. Good Luck.

pghyndman and bisco like this.
  5. DC Prime

DC Prime New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yes, to a point. Car manufacturing is a long process. The cars being delivered to dealerships today were ordered ~6 months ago based on anticipated demand. This time of year is usually big for car sales since people are getting their tax refunds. Obvioulsy, a lot has changed in the last 6 months...

So, yes, production might slow. But, it'll take a while for things to even out.

bisco and GKL like this.
  6. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm guessing the 6 months is for bulk quantity dealership orders, when we had a dealer place our order back in January for one car they said to allow about 90 to 120 days for delivery.

7. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don’t know about CA but since you live there I’m sure you are right!

8. MoPInball

MoPInball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Prius Prime LE
    Yr/Mdl 2020/1235E
    CLR supersonic red/fb20 (03U5/20)
    Final Assembly point: Toyota, AICHI, JAPAN

Status Actual Date
    Production Date 03/03/2020
    Available for Shipment
    Vessel Departure 03/07/2020
    Vessel Arrival 04/07/2020
    Plant/Port Process 04/27/2020
    Rail Departure
    Rail Arrival
    Shipment to Dealer 04/30/2020
    Dealer Arrival 05/01/2020

MSRP 29604
    Dealer Discount -1400
    Sales Price 28204
    Gov. Fee +15
    Doc. Fee +75
    Total Sale Price 28294
    Rebate -3500
    Cash Price 24794

Purchased 5/7/2020
    Missouri sales tax and Lic. paid at DMV
    Buying a Prius Prime in New York is a long story.

bisco likes this.
  9. DC Prime

DC Prime New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah. I was talking dealership orders since we were talking about the extent to which dealerships are discounting these days, which has more to do with what dealers have in stock. It's the cars on dealership lots that drive much of the discounts you'll find. Toyota can offer rebates to help drive demand sector-wide. But, dealership-level discounts are driven by how motivated the dealership is to get a car off the lot. They have to pay for every car in stock, so a lot more motivation (deals for us) to take a car off their lot than have one ordered.

GKL likes this.
  10. waltinbatonroug

waltinbatonroug New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    used 2018 PPpreminum 28,228 miles baton Rouge $20,500 plus ttl

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sweet! all the best (y)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this being 05/20, when do you hit 120 days?

GKL and SFO like this.
  13. laurenbanjo

laurenbanjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I’m in NJ. Our electricity prices are averaging 15-16 cents and right now our average gas price is $2.01 (and my usual fill up spots are $1.70-$1.80). That means it’s currently more expensive to plug in than to buy gas! But I know gas will go back up to $2.50 eventually, and then I’ll be happy I have the option to plug in. That’s what I love about PHEVs. You always have the option of what you wanna do!

I’m still in the shopping process. On top of the $3500 manufacturer rebate, I got a dealer discount offer of $2750. This is super super tempting!

jmarkd7 and bisco like this.
  14. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It would have been nice if they had what we wanted on the dealer's lot (or any dealer lot in the southeast region) but it was not a big deal since we were not in a hurry and actually preferred having more time to get an even bigger down payment together.

15. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Not sure of the exact date but likely either already at or past 120 days or very close to it.

They said back about the 3rd week of January that the 90-120 days was simply a rough estimate not a definite timeframe.

(and with the Coronavirus maybe affecting things a little I figure it might possibly go even another month or two.)

bisco likes this.
  16. BoxerRumble

BoxerRumble New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you all so much for contributing to this thread. I am starting my research purchasing a 2020 Prius Prime LE in the next couple of months. I will be saying good-bye to my first car since college, a 2005 Subaru WRX STi that gets about 17mpg w/ premium gas. Are people purchasing new vehicles during shelter-in-place? Anecdotal evidence but my friend's dad and cousin purchased new cars since they have the time to research and go shopping. I also have time and am wondering if a lot of people are in similar situations? Also any updates on prices paid would be greatly appreciated!

GKL likes this.
  17. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Fortunately you are in a "carb" state and there should be plenty of those vehicles on the dealer's lots so you should have more bargaining power to get a better deal than those of us in "non-carb" states that had to do a factory order to get the car we wanted.

See what dealerships in your driving range is offering the best OTD (out the door) price on the model you want, with all the dealers trying to get cars off their lots I would think the advantage would be to the customer. Even when you find who has the best price I'd still make a lower counter-offer as you might be able to get the price down a little more, hey, doesn't hurt to try, a dealer might be willing to settle for even less profit just to get a car off their lot.

18. BoxerRumble

BoxerRumble New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for your reply. I have been researching and reading threads on this forum, and saw that you had to order yours from Japan living in the South East region. It must be tough waiting the 90-120 days for your car. I tallied about 30 dealerships within 50 miles, and 42 within 100 miles. Will start contacting them to see what kind of deals I can get. Also, the $1000 rebate in my region is set to expire 6/1, and will see what rebate they offer for June and on. I think though the cost of living here probably offsets the deals I might get though.

GKL likes this.
  19. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Normally it'd be a tough wait if we wanted it right away, but in our particular instance we actually were glad for the wait as we'll have a much bigger down payment by the time it arrives, as well as have a bill completely paid off.

Yep, you got a good point, I've heard California can be a more costly place to live compared to many areas elsewhere in the U.S. so it's good your area has incentives to effectively bring the price down.

Not sure how many dealerships you are going to try to get a quote from, but with that many available I'd get at least 10 quotes at a minimum, that should give you a basic idea what the low end of the price range might be, but even with a lower quote, I'd still counter with a lower offer and see if they'd at least meet you halfway.

20. Simone3

Simone3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Does anyone know what the Toyota rebate history on the Primes has been?

I’m asking because I’m probably going to buy one, but the current $3500 rebate is set to expire on 6/1 - and I’m not sure I can get it done by then.

Is there any way to find out what the June rebates will be? And if not that - does anyone have any idea of past patterns - ie: is it likely that this rebate will expire and be replaced with something much less? Or is there just no way to know?? Thanks!!

Thanks so much for any help!!

GKL likes this.