1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - official prices paid thread

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Will_Prius16, Dec 20, 2016.

1. scottmksmk

scottmksmk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I went with Romano. I initially turned down their offer since I was going for more. I don’t need the vehicle yet so I wasn’t in a hurry. Then they offered to deliver it and I went with it. It worked out well but they sometimes were unresponsive on getting back with details or paperwork. I did get a last second offer from Basil in Lockport for a $2,384 dealer discount on the exact same vehicle, so check them out. West Herr wouldn’t touch that price. Northtown was a little in the mix but I didn’t negotiate much with them. Hosleton in Rochester offered $1,500 and would have negotiated more. Start talking and negotiating now. I started online and kept it to texts and email. They all will want to call you. After getting the initial offers, I started playing them against each other. When that wasn’t getting me where I wanted to be, I told them I needed to be at over a $2,000 dealer discount. Then at the end of the month, they really start coming down in price. The Basil offer was the last day of the month.

2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm officially looking at the *used* Prime market...and I'm starting to like what I see. Looks like a lot of Primes are coming off lease lately.

Even on the 'major' used car sites like Carvana/Vroom/CarGurus, etc...I'm seeing 2017's with a clean record and 40-50K miles for under 18K. That competes very favorable with 'regular' Prius models. Reminds me of the era where the original PIP compared favorably with regular Prius models a few years ago.

For those that purchased used Primes...does the price above look good? Sorry, I don't have time to read all 213 pages of this thread. (y)

Thanks in advance!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the price of used PP reflects huge discounts, rebates, and tax credits. Yeah, it is cheaper to buy a new Prius Prime than a regular Prius at most dealers in North East or CA. With a full tax credit, a brand new PP LE is ~$18K, PPXLE ~$20K, and PPLtd ~$24K, should give you an idea of what the 3 years old with 40-50K miles should run.

MTN likes this.
  4. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    No! Don't buy a used prime.
    Look at the above few pages. You can get a NEW prime for $18k +/- if you live or drive/fly to an area that offers high Toyota cash/rebate currently. That applies to any purchaser, doesn't matter what state you live in. You might not get local utility or state rebates, but between the current Toyota offers ($4500+) and the $4502 Federal tax credit, buying new makes infinitely more sense than used. (*unless you do not have $4502 in Federal tax liability, that is pretty much the only exception)

5. Prius775

Prius775 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all! Finally pulled the trigger on a new 2021 Prius Prime Limited (titanium glow) Flying up to Portland Sunday :D

MSRP: $35,254
    Discounts: ($2,777)
    Rebate: ($4,500)
    Price: $30,530 OTD (included tax / license)

pghyndman and MTN like this.
  6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Look carefully at customer reviews of Carvana and Vroom. I suggest sticking with a B&M dealer even if you're buying online. Toyota certified, and so on.
    There's a 2017 on the local Carmax lot right now for about $22500 with under 20k miles. That's on the high end of the range. Generally you will see about a $5k range for comparable used Primes. A lot depends on location, some regions have lots of them and some have none. Some dealers will price them high and leave them sitting on the lot to attract shoppers. The cheaper ones I have seen are usually high miles, most of the nicer 17s and 18s are going closer to $20k.

7. Quang817

Quang817 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and am interested in buying a new Prime from one of the rebate states and having it shipped to Texas. I am not able to fly out and drive a car home from Maryland or Oregon. Does anyone know of or can recommend a dealer that arranges shipping? Much appreciated.

8. DC_2004_Prius

DC_2004_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    ok - new prime buyers - when there's toyota incentives out there. talk to me about the end of the month - with the cash expiring - but also the dealer wanting to unload inventory- when is the incentive switched and since the cash is running out they'll have more leverage? or is it always gonna be more leverage for me over the dealer since they want to make those last few sales near the end of the month to unload cars sitting on their lot - especially a niche commuter car when no one is commuting...for now. when will my max deal be - this weekend or on Monday the 29th in 2.5 weeks? thanks!

9. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We purchased a pair of Prime's from NJ 3 years ago and shipped them to TX: I had many shipping quotes ranging from $650 to $1,075 per vehicle. The best came from Iron Auto Transport in FL. They used Global Express LLC as the carrier. They kept me informed of the pickup and the driver called as he got close to plan for delivery. They did a good job and the cars arrived without issue. I asked the dealer to take photos of all 4 sides before shipping. When they arrived I inspected and brought a camera to check the cars. If there were any issues I would have taken a photo and written my concerns before signing off on the delivery.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. icemchine9

icemchine9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought at the end of last month and based on the dealership communications I got I think the leverage is with you at the end of the month. You're probably in an even better situation since this will be the end of the quarter so any dealership looking to hit certain sales targets will be really motivated to do so.

Just make sure you have a couple dealerships you are talking to so you have the leverage to just walk out and go somewhere else.

I went to one dealership the night before I bought and tried to get them to go lower than the price I had set up at another and they wouldn't. This was good information for me as I knew the price I had elsewhere was about as low as I could go for the area.

#4250 icemchine9, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    DC_2004_Prius likes this.
  11. blizzardgal

blizzardgal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    We just purchased a 2021 XLE in Buffalo from West Herr. We didn't check further into New York as our drive from Indiana was all ready 6 hours. Here in Indiana in our area there is no negotiating for a Prime. Best we could do is 632 dollars off MSRP. Nothing on the lot besides 1 silver XLE. This is truck country here. Showrooms are like walking into a funeral parlor. No incentives here. There we were able to get 6290 off MSRP not including the federal rebate, which we will apply for this tax year, next year. West Herr was like walking into a Walmart with a backed up check out lane. Busy. We negotiated the deal via text, Weds and picked up the car Thurs noon. The sales person was right on it. Everything went super smooth in and out. Then a slow break in drive of 9 hours back home, that sucked, and having to deal with NY mail in tolls, but hey.....

DC_2004_Prius likes this.
  12. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You have excellent taste!

IMG_4777.jpg

Cpu888 likes this.
  13. Cpu888

Cpu888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Did you take off the plastic wheel covers?

pghyndman likes this.
  14. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Absolutely. I removed them after a month or so on our 2nd PP (a 2020 Limited) and on our new PP the moment we got home. We like the look, the wheels are easier to keep clean, and we can toss the pristine original covers back on when the car goes bye-bye. OEM Toyota center hub covers pop up occasionally for under $50/set on eBay (Center Cap 42603-52170).

15. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Absolutely. I removed them after a month or so on our 2nd PP (a 2020 Limited) and on our new PP the moment we got home. We like the look, the wheels are easier to keep clean, and we can toss the pristine original covers back on when the car goes bye-bye. OEM Toyota center hub covers pop up occasionally for under $50/set on eBay (Center Cap 42603-52170).

16. MPGboss

MPGboss Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I was just looking at 2021 Prius Prime XLE deal offers. I'm shocked to see how they're actually substantially cheaper than a similar trimmed Prius XLEs, anyone know why?

17. Quang817

Quang817 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

18. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I guess too many people buying Tesla and not many people paying attention to Toyota Primes or any Plug ins by non Tesla brands.

19. Quang817

Quang817 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info. Can you share the name of the Toyota dealer that you bought from?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is because toyota (and any mfg) makes more money on carb credits for plug ins than they lose in discounts.
    whereas regular hybrids get no credits

tesla makes a fortune selling credits worldwide

chickenhawk likes this.
  21. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Speaking of rebates, I saw somewhere on the site that end of this month the Prime will be taken off the list and no longer get the instant $900 off the car if you are buying from a participating dealer. I was able to get my $900 off at time of sale. Its too bad I didn't know about the SCE $1000 that ended in DEC.

Eligible Electric Cars | California Clean Fuel Reward

MTN likes this.