1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - official prices paid thread

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Will_Prius16, Dec 20, 2016.

1. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Congrats on the great timing!
    (y)

>NOTE: $450 Clean air rebate in california is expiring end of month until they get additional funding. So that's going out too.
    I often mention that many of the State rebates have a limited funding amount. And people should check.
    Iirc, Mass has also run out a few times before.

Congrats again!

2. Cpu888

Cpu888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    2022 Prius Prime LE
    Titanium Glow
    Sticker $30313
    Options $275
    NYS Clean Air rebate $500
    Toyota Customer cash $500
    Out the Door price with tax: $31992.00
    Dealer: Johnstons Toyota New Hampton, NY
    Best dealership in NYS- no add-ons/ no markup: total integrity
    MY THIRD PRIUS!![/QUOTE]

Wow! Did you trade in your old prius?

iplug and bisco like this.
  3. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

AM I reading this correctly- a Prime? less than 32K out the door?

I am being charged 37K for a prius le. in FL.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I checked with 7 dealers in my area. 3 were at $3000 over sticker price, 2 were at $5000 over sticker. One dealer in Princton NJ was at sticker but was only selling to customers who lived within a 20-mile radius of their dealership. Last one I checked was my local dealer who offered me a spot on the waiting list for $500 down BUT priced at sticker. They told me 6-month wait. They called me a week later and said that someone who was waiting for 5 months for an LE just walked away from the sale and they offered it to me with $500 Toyota Customer cash off the sticker price. NYS offered a Clean Air Rebate of $500 so that was a total of $1000 off sticker. AND I bought it on August 14, 2 days before Biden's signing of the IRA which takes away the tax break on EV cars built in Japan. So I think I still qualify for it. NOTE: Toyota has hit its 200K quota like GM and Tesla, so the tax credit is going away, but you have until the end this fiscal quarter to claim a part of it.

#5483 dpframing, Aug 29, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    MTN and Salamander_King like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are lucky. You can claim the full $4502 for the next year's income tax using the old 30D tax credit rule. Just to clarify, it ended on 8/16 after Biden signed the IRA into law. Any Toyota PP (or Rav4Prime) purchased after 8/16 will not get any tax credit even if it was purchased before the phase-out starts on 10/1/2022. The only exception is if the signed binding contract to purchase with a non-refundable deposit was paid prior to 8/16.

MTN likes this.
  5. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Wow! Did you trade in your old prius?[/QUOTE]

Check this out- the dealership offered me $7000 trade-in value for my 2013 Prius. 95k miles. Never in an accident.
    I went online and CArGurus offered me $11800. Autotrader offered me $12500. Carvana offered me $16610. Picked upthe car yesterday on a flatbed truck.

Jennifer Lewis, Gokhan and MTN like this.
  6. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow. I wonder how long things will remain this way.

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  8. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    This situation benefits both the manufacturers and the retailers (dealerships) too well to cease any time soon. Every car on a car lot is floor-planned, so every month they are paying (interest) to have the inventory they have. When everyone has inventory, that inventory sits around costing money, and - since there are so many out there - they have to compete with the next dealership, which means selling many cars at barely over cost.

So, from a dealership perspective, selling what they don't even have on the ground yet for more money than ever before... it's a win for the owners of the dealership. Are they selling marginally less vehicles than in the past? Perhaps. But the profits they are making on what they are selling easily make up for the reduced volume.

From a manufacturer's perspective, in cars they can now offer pure garbage in design (like cars without spare tires) and people will be almost forced to take it. From the over-the-road big-truck manufacturers' perspective, it means knowing a year ahead of time - or more - exactly what builds their dealership networks have early orders (and money deposits) for.

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's not Blue Magnetism as you want it to be. Go to the linked Cars.com page to get to the Dealer's website.
    https://www.newrochelletoyota.com/vehicle-details/new-2022-toyota-prius-prime-limited-jtdkamfp1n3218794
    The VIN matches on Cars.com and it is a Magnetic Gray Prius Prime Limited with a $7,000 Dealer Adjustment.

But, I don't trust any of those web search results. You call/email the dealer, but they don't have it available for sale.
    BTW, I recently got a call from a Toyota dealer where I put my name on the waiting list for a Rav4 Prime earlier this year. But I canceled my order. With no more fed tax credit on Toyota, I think I am going to order Ford Escape PHEV instead.

upload_2022-9-27_8-29-24.png

Gokhan likes this.
  10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Regardless, here are the observations:
    1. Production of Prius Prime Limited has stopped. You won't be able to get a Prius Prime Limited, which has blind-spot monitor, rear-traffic cross alert, parking sensors with automatic collision-prevention braking, and many other advanced-technology features. This is unless you can get your hands on about three that are still available on the East Coast, two in New York State and one in Massachusetts. I am guessing that some of the Prius Prime Limited parts are no longer available due to supply-chain problems.
    2. Production of Prius Prime LE and Prius Prime XLE is continuing at full steam, and you can still buy them, as the stocks are being replenished daily.

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. ct prius dedicated

ct prius dedicated Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What amazes me is that there are still people willing to pay dealer markups when there is no tax advantage. I noticed in my area there are a few dealerships with cars allocated that have yet to be sold. I'm guessing it's because of the loss of the credit plus the ridiculous markups. I have a contract signed prior to Biden's folly being signed. So...I'm holding tight at my dealership where I'm presumably next in line. No one seems to know anything about the 2023 but the dealership folks don't believe the propaganda that it will be a major redesign....not with the chip shortage etc... I have to have a car by mid January so I have no choice but to take what comes along in October...I won't take a black or dark gray and I'm not crazy about the white. Beyond that, I'll accept anything else...at least a have a little wiggle room if the next allocation is the wrong color....

#5491 ct prius dedicated, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Gokhan likes this.
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For many, many more years, probably for at least another decade.

The problem is no longer the supply-chain issues. Manufactures realized that the less cars they sell, the more profits they make. This is the root cause of inflation. The Fed is driving the inflation even higher by raising the interest rates and eliminating competition. This is the end of free-market economy.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  13. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Inflation caused by the mismatch supply & demand of goods. I thought the Fed can't fix the supply so by raising the rate to slow down the growth of economy, in other words Fed fixes the demand side.

MTN likes this.
  14. ct prius dedicated

ct prius dedicated Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Every time the government gets involved they make things worse

Gokhan likes this.
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, the demand is not the problem. The economy is shrinking and people can't make a living with the inflation. The demand would only be a problem if the economy were growing too fast. This is not the case.

Moreover, the interest rates affect more the supply side than the demand side. Higher interest rates will make the supply more expensive, as it will be more difficult to do business, further driving the inflation up. The Fed has really messed this up.

#5495 Gokhan, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    raising interest rates is not the end of the free market, it has been done many times in the past.

there was a shortage of cars (and most everything else) when the fed rate was zero

MTN likes this.
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wasn't referring to raising the interest rates. I was referring to manufactures deliberately slashing the supplies to jack prices and the Fed playing to their hands to eliminate competition.

18. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    agree here, the car shortage problem started around same time last year, even before the reality of inflation hit
    us.
    I dont see the car shortage problem has
    any relation to the inflation. It is more related to the chip shortage.

19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's how it started at the beginning but this is not what is going now. Inflation is being created artificially by the manufacturers deliberately lowering the supply.

It's not just cars. It's most things. The supply-chain problems are more or less over now or will be over soon. After the supply-chain problems, manufacturers realized that they can make more money by reducing the supply and raising the prices. The prices originally rose because the supplies were low, but now the businesses are deliberately lowering the supply so that they can jack the prices:

---

“We’ll never go back to the level of inventories that we held pre-pandemic because we’ve learned we can be much more efficient,” GM GM, -0.94% CEO Mary Barra told reporters last year.

BMW BMW, -0.55% Chief Financial Officer Nicolas Peter told the Financial Times last fall that the automaker plans to “clearly stick with … the way we manage supply to keep our pricing power at the current level.”

Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler AG has the same idea. “We will consciously undersupply demand level,” Daimler’s CFO Harald Wilhelm told FT.

Ford F, -0.67% CEO Jim Farley has suggested that the company may move closer to a build-to-order business model, though he recently promised dealerships Ford would not sell cars directly to customers, like Tesla TSLA, +2.51% does.

Dealer groups, too, say big inventories and hefty discounts may not come back.

---

Source:

If chip production is recovering, why are automakers still making fewer cars?—MarketWatch

20. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wow, I can't believe these prices and markups. In 2017 I paid the list $27,100 for my Prime Plus trim (LE now) and the only "markup" was $200 for tailgate sticker. Then at the time, I got $1000 back from Toyota, a Federal rebate, a California State rebate, and an SCE (Electric Company) rebate. Doing the math, after the rebates it wound up being $19,9XX (under 20k!) before taxes for a brand new Prime. Much cheaper than the normal Prius too. I know there's inflation and shortages but I can't believe that 5 years later I can get more for my 5yr-old car (with only about 27k miles) than when I bought it new. Guess I'll have to keep it in good shape for many more years to come.

It seems there's not as much of a markup in Canada. I wonder if it's allowed to buy it in Canada and then register it in your local state (the same as if you bought a car in Michigan and moved to California)? Would the Canadian dealerships allow it? Over the years, twice I made roadtrips out of state for certain things (not cars) and besides the thing you're going for, you get a little interesting roadtrip out of it, too.

Mambo Dave likes this.