1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - official prices paid thread

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Will_Prius16, Dec 20, 2016.

1. hkiang28

hkiang28 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a quote for 30156$ (before tax and fee) last week for 2017 prime advanced. I eventually got a Plus in another dealer - saved me 6000$. You can check with San Francisco Toyota. I got the quote from Anthony Hom. I think the quote is good but I can't adjust myself to get it given I know I won't use those expensive fancy features most of the time. If there were premium with the color I want, I would have got it.

bisco likes this.
  2. PriusPostus2

PriusPostus2 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll post my sub $26k Prime Advanced dealer info later today when not at the office.

westy72658 and bisco like this.
  3. westy72658

westy72658 Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just got a pretty good quote from Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda MD. A few other members suggested checking with this dealer. My out the door price is $28,497 for a Prius Prime Advanced ( plus their processing fee of $300) which brings the total to $28,797.this does include the Toyota $3,000 rebate. I will have to add KY tax and registration to this but for comparison purposes just add your states fees.

4. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone seen the gray metallic paint? How does it look?

5. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Quote from Nelson Rodriguez at Herb Chambers Toyota of Boston:

Premium:
    Market Value: 30,068
    Savings: 2,822
    Rebate: 4,500
    Adj Sale Price: $22,746 + Fees (below) = $23,340.
    Taxes 6.25% (without trade in): $1,458.74
    Out the Door Price incl. tax: $24,798.74

Documentation fees are very high at $459. Registration fees at $135.

Advanced:
    Market Value: 34,308
    Savings: 2,919
    Rebate: 4,500

Adj Sale Price: $26,889 + Fees (below) = $27,483.00
    Taxes 6.25% (without trade in): $1,680.56
    Out the Door Price incl. tax: $29,163.56

I haven't included the taxes, as those change depending on the state. Also, in Massachusetts you subtract the value of the trade-in before determining the tax.

I'm still waiting on two more quotes. It will be very interesting to see how different places value our trade in. I'm sure that will swing the totals wildly.

#1445 ElectricSpike, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    westy72658 likes this.
  6. ClemsonSteve

ClemsonSteve Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a trade, so it's hard to convey. But based on what others offered, they knocked $2,000 off the sticker, with a $3000 rebate. The rebates will continue until the cars sell, provided they don't wholesale them out. Call and ask for Amar at Jim Coleman. He was straight up with me--I drove 7 hours from North Carolina--we made the deal before I made the trip, and they honored the deal. Also, DCH Toyota in Mamaroneck NY--awesome and a $4500 rebate--just too far for me to drive.

ElectricSpike and westy72658 like this.
  7. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reading your comment again, I just realized that you got $29,100 quote on Prime advanced which has $34K price tag on. That's more than $3000 off. In fact it is more than $4500 off. You may not find much better deal from many of NJ/NY or NE dealers who would only take off $4500 from MSRP.
    i got a quote from a NY dealer and it was only the $4,500 rebate of the Invoice and that was it. I did not try and get them lower so maybe there is still some room.

#1447 westy72658, Apr 20, 2018
    ElectricSpike likes this.
  8. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am talking to a “Chi” from Jim Coleman and so far so good. I mentioned I heard about the dealership on Prius Chat and I believe that helped on the price I was quoted.

ClemsonSteve and ElectricSpike like this.
  9. ClemsonSteve

ClemsonSteve Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Please tell them that Mr. Bowie sent you, and they owe me a coffee mug!

westy72658 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sure will Steve!☕️

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  11. PriusPostus2

PriusPostus2 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry it took me so long to get this info out. I originally wanted to reply only in PM so that I wasn't excluding any good dealerships from the broader conversation. But since so many of you have been asking, here is the info.

First, the price I paid, again:
    • 2017 Prius Prime Advanced, as few options/accessories as possible
    • MSRP: $34,577.00 (Car, Destination Charge, All Weather Floor Mat and Cargo Tray, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards)
    • Toyota Cash rebate: ($4500)
    • Dealer Discount: ($4288)
    • Subtotal: $25,789.00
    • Dealer doc and prep: $220
    • Temporary RI tags $24.50
    • Total Out-The-Door price: $26,033.50
    • We will pay registration and sales tax back home - approx $2000 ugh. But sales tax in WA is based on your residence location if you buy a car out of state, and fortunately I live in one of the lowest tax rate areas in WA.
    • Federal Tax Credit ($4502)
    • Cost to get the car: $800. Cost to get the car across the country was approx $195 for flight on Southwest (my wife flew out alone), $185 for gas, $200 food, and $200 for hotels (other nights spent at friends/relatives across the country). This works out to about the same as shipping the car, but for us was less hassle and more fun.
    • TOTAL COST $24,331.50

How I got the price:

• I started simply (for the Prime I bought in September) by getting the online Internet prices. I just clicked the "Get Special Internet Price" button next to the cars that matched our criteria. I randomly picked dealerships throughout New England. (PEOPLE: stop abbreviating "New England" as "NE". NE is Nebraska, last I checked. And don't get me started on saying "Washington" when you mean "DC")
    • I noticed the best prices were in MA and RI.
    • I found that it would be hard (in my situation) to get a good simple deal in MA, since I wanted to pay cash, fly in, and drive out immediately, and MA apparently does not offer temp tags.
    • I collected the internet prices for all the remaining dealerships in RI. This is the step at which I started for this second Prime.
    • I clarified the quotes via email with the Internet Coordinator persons. Making sure they understood I was paying cash, would not finance under any circumstance, would not buy an extended warranty, nor any other accessories. Note that dealers make extra money from arranging financing, so you can often get a better deal if you finance and then pay off right away. But note that the Toyota Cash is not available if you take the 0.9% Toyota rate offer.
    • The Spam mails from dealerships began, and occasionally offered special incentives to entice me to buy right away.
    • Then I began telling the dealers about the deals I received from the lowest priced dealer. I was careful to list the MSRP so the comparisons were equivalent for the dealerships. When working with the lowest deal, most other dealers told me that that could not be a cash price since it was money-losing. So I double-checked.
    • The lowest internet price I got was $26,089. Then I brought up one of the Spam email incentives, and got the price $300 lower. I actually offered less but that is where we ended up.
    • I wrote every detail in an email and asked the Internet coordinator to check with her finance and general manager since I wanted to make absolutely sure of the final deal before we committed to flying out there. They said this all looked good and really wanted to get rid of the 2017s, so we called with a credit card deposit. We went to the Credit Union and got a Cashier's Check for the remainder.

The dealership(s) I used:
    • Balise Toyota of Warwick RI. Internet contact was Kayleigh Massey, assigned sales person was Ethan Holden.
    • We got our previous Prius Prime in September at Tarbox Toyota in North Kingstown RI. Internet contact was Anna Cook, assigned sales person was Cory Martin. They couldn't go quite as low this time (lowest quote was $26,589), though, since I was paying cash. However, they were a more organized dealership according to my wife who picked up both cars.
    • No need to give my name to either dealer; I will not likely be a repeat customer since this seemed to be a very special period in time
    Let me know if you have any questions.

#1451 PriusPostus2, Apr 21, 2018
  12. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ok Everyone here is the deal I worked out With Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda Maryland.

2017 Prius Prime Advanced

MSRP $34,442
    Incentive -$3,000
    Dealer Disc. -$2,558.96
    Dealer Doc Fee. $ 300
    Final Price $29,183.04

State Tax and Registration of course is extra.

Let me tell you about my online shopping experience. I shopped several dealers online in the Washington DC/ Baltimore area. I chose this area from reccomendations in this thread that the dealers had a decent stock of cars. The dealers I narrowed down to were Carmax (reccomended in this thread), Darcars Toyota, Heritage Toyota, Jerry’s Toyota, and Jim Coleman Toyota.

1.Carmax-Has a no haggle price. A low $99 doc fee and a decent price but because it is no haggle once I beat their price then there was no where to go. Carmax does not have very many 2017’s left. I think they are down to 3.

2. Darcars- They has a great selection of colors and I did like they had a few extra options like the door moldings already installed. I was contacted by Glen Scott and he bragged at how they are one of the biggest dealers around and they had no problem competing on price. He shot me a price that was $800 higher than my best. I asked him if he would go lower and he said no but if I get a better deal he would match it.

3. Heritage-I spoke to Virgil and he got me a price of $30,128. This Prius had the side door moldings so that is a $499- option I considered making his price $29,629. I asked if that was the best price and he said that was the best he could do, but if I beat it to let Home know. After this the communication broke down. I called him and asked a question and he said he was busy with another customer and would call me right back . I never heard back from him. I got an email from his sales manager a day or so later asking if I had any questions and I replied that I have a question in with Virgil and am waiting for a call back. Virgil called within 5 minutes with my question answered. The next day I sent Virgil a messaged telling him I had a better deal and to see if he could beat it. That was yesterday morning and I have yet to hear from him.

4. Jerry’s- Ashley Jackson did a very good job getting their best price to me very quickly. There price came in at $28,724. I thought wow this is the best price yet until their hidden fee hit me. $598 dealer prep fee plus the Processing Fee of $300. This placed them at $29,374 which is a no haggle price so again I beat it and Jerry’s has nowhere to go. I did ask Ashley about the $598 prep fee and she said that was the fee to have the car detailed. I hate hidden fees like this so Jerry’s was out.

Finally! Jim Coleman’s - Member Steve Bowie reccomended them here in this thread and I can say 100% the best online experience I had yet. The person I was assigned to is named “Chi”. Chi responsed very quickly to my inquiry and got me a great price. Right now they have about 25 Prime Advanced vehicles in stock. There price beat everyone’s by $200-300 or more . After the great communication and the prompt responses to my questions by Chi, I went ahead and went with their offer. I could have done some more back and forth but at this point I really got tired of some of the other dealers taking forever to get back to me which left me with an impression that either they didn’t want to to spend any more time on an internet shopper or they did not want to drop their price any further than what I was quoted.

I know this is a long post but I wanted to describe the experience I had to help anyone that is getting ready to follow my same path. Save some time and aggravation and call Jim Coleman Toyota and ask for Chi. Tell her you saw this deal on Prius Chat and Brent Westmoreland told you to call. Just in case you are wondering I do not get a dime for referring anyone to this dealership. Give Chi a call at : (301) 469-7100.

Thanks everyone and I hope I have helped you with sharing this experience.

#1452 westy72658, Apr 21, 2018
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you both for all your help, well done!(y)

westy72658 and PriusPostus2 like this.
  14. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks so much for the information. No doubt a great price!

PriusPostus2 likes this.
  15. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just signed a contract for an Advanced. All weather floor mats and cargo tray. It will be red or titanium. They only had colors we didn't like. We decided that it would be more fun to be surprised between two choices (as long as the interior is black)! We'll find out in a few days.

MSRP: 34,308
    Toyota Rebate: 4,500
    Dealer Discount: 2,919
    Adj Sale Price: 26,889
    Fees/Reg: 634 (yes, high)
    Tax 1,287.38 (lower, as taxes are based on cost of "new car - trade in")

Out the door price: 28,810.38 all taxes and fees included.
    Our trade in brought it down more, but that doesn't really have to do with the Prius Prime price.

Subtract 4,500 fed tax credit
    Subtract 1,500 Mass State Rebate
    Total Cost of Car: $22,810.38

We are taking out a reasonable loan from our credit union, but it is challenging to know what it will cost us in the long run - as soon as we receive the Mass State Rebate and the Federal Tax Credit I want to pay down the loan with it, so it won't cost as much.

This was at Herb Chambers, Boston. My salesperson was Carlos Rivas, who is great to work with. The price was first determined by Nelson Rodriguez who is the internet manager. I had first inquired about the Costco price when we were first thinking of a 2nd Prius - I didn't know much about the Prime; then I saw all of the incentives and I learned fast! For those of you in areas where the dealers are not moving from MSRP, you might want to consider checking if you are a Costco member (or seeing if a friend would check for you, before you join to get the discount.)

westy72658, bisco and PriusPostus2 like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! great price, all the best!(y)

17. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you get the Costco price or did you negotiate a better one?

18. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It is hard to tell. We first inquired about a Prius 3, and were dealing with an online person (automatically, when you plug in your info at Costco) - I told the person we were in the initial stages, as at that point we were looking at different options. We love our 2013 Prius V, but would be trading in our 2011 Outback, and didn't know yet if we were willing to give up 4 wheel drive. A little more research, and all those rebates/incentives convinced us. I contacted about 8 dealers via email, visited the one nearby, (who I would have preferred to purchase from) then waited for email initial offers. I got back in touch with the initial dealer who had given me the Costco quote - but I didn't think to ask - I just said that we were collecting a few quotes from different dealers. All the dealers I contacted had many Prius Prime (ok, anyone know the plural? Is it Prii Prime, or Prius Primes?) on their lots. I didn't know if the price was their Costco price, or if it was given to me because I said that I was comparing offers and there were a lot of them on their lot. I have to believe that the $4,500 incentives will continue with so many on the lots around here. Who knows?

westy72658 likes this.
  19. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There are quite a few of us purchasing new Primes - I thought I would point you all over to PriusChat's:https://priuschat.com/threads/all-known-prius-prime-toyota-service-bulletins-tsbs.181400/
    There is a thread there about Pre-Delivery Inspections. We are charged for those, but some have had issues, especially when the Prime was really new to an area, or not sold much in an area. I'm now trying to decide if I want to try joining https://techinfo.toyota.com for two days to download the PDI sheet, as well as to see what the Service Bulletins say. (and to look for anything on our 2013 Prius 3).

However, we have Macs in our house, and the site system requirements are for Windows machines. Any of the revered experts on this site know if the techinfo.toyota.com site works on Macs? Hope it is ok to post this here, as it is for new purchasers.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried toyota owners website?