1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - official prices paid thread

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Will_Prius16, Dec 20, 2016.

1. karthik1107

karthik1107 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Have put in 1200 miles in 2.5 weeks. RT 64 miles/day. ~1 to 2 full EV charges a day. 1 full tank of gas. World is crazy not to be driving a prime, or any vehicle of such class.

HPrimeAdvanced and westy72658 like this.
  2. ClemsonSteve

ClemsonSteve Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes--get the rebate (should be $3000 DC area, $4500 NY, I've heard $5000 in NJ), then 10% off sticker (or nearest to it), then $4500 federal tax credit. I never buy anything else such as an additional warranty, wheel coverage, paint protection, etc. As part of the deal, get all weather mats and tray for the back--but remember that the carpet mats do not necessarily come with the all weather mats unless you specify. Good luck--but hurry! Check out Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda Maryland. Amar was my salesman and he played it straight with me--no games, no gimmicks. And it's a family owned Mom and Pop type dealership--they specialize in hybrid sales and are highly ranked. They have tons of 2017s Prime Advanced on the lot. Tell him Steve Bowie sent you!

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. chochocho

chochocho New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in norcal here and looking at a base model prius prime plug in for commuting (55 miles each way). i am scheduled through costco to a dealership nearby and wanted to know what kind of pricing people have gotten in the bay area and type of rebate. thank you in advance.

4. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There are a lot of "ifs" - I feel like I did well with my trade in, however I believe I read that the R.I. dealer did not do well with trade ins. My dealer has had multiple issues with my financing with my credit union. Sigh. The more 2017 Primes they have on their lot, the more likely they will be to "deal" - also, do you happen to have a Costco membership? Using the Costco auto program may bring your price down a lot. I recommend: looking at the dealer sites to see how many Advanced they have on their lots; if they have a lot, send them a specification - I want.....and what are you asking for that? I am not sure if I will be financing with you or with my credit union (don't committ). Don't mention your trade in. If you can, sell your trade in on your own. If you can't, and need to trade it in, make that a follow up email. Send photos and a video if you can, and get a commitment before you travel with it. It is amazing how much dealer prices vary.

5. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just read that at least near Rochester, NY, the NY rebate is $5,000. Make sure to add in a specific zip code.

6. ml888

ml888 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks! I'm negotiating with multiple NJ dealers now and it seems it'd be very hard to do 10% off sticker, but I'm getting not too far from it. The same RI dealer that gave the amazing $4288 dealer discount only offered $3988 this time but I suspect I can try to negotiate it up. MD is not necessarily better than NJ I think, since we have $5K rebate.

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  7. drh4

drh4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...their online inventory shows only two used 2017 Primes...wonder what explains the discrepancy?

8. ml888

ml888 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hmm, I tried Costco last year when I bought my Prime Premium, they basically just connected me with a couple dealers who didn't offer great discount and didn't seem enthusiastic to try make a deal. So I didn't really try negotiating with them. I believe a few years ago when I bought another car I also tried using Costco Auto program and got similar results. Perhaps in NJ it's not good? You're in MA, maybe it's different? In theory more cars on lot more eager to deal but our local dealer is $600+ away from the best offer despite that they have more Prius Advanced than any other NJ dealer I've checked (and I checked at least a dozen). They said they were already selling at $1200 loss, they won't make it a $2K loss. Well ...

ElectricSpike likes this.
  9. westy72658

westy72658 Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you are not buying in New York or New Jersey, then take Steve’s advice like I did and buy from Jim Coleman in Bethesda, MD. As I am writing this message, Amar called to follow up and ask how I was liking the new Prius. I call that service after the sale. On top of that, NO one in the area could beat their offer. If you mention Steve or David ...tell them you want the same price they gave us.

Like Steve said they are the #1 hybrid seller in their region. They have banners spanning across the wall in the dealership.

As you can see, I highly reccomended them!

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  10. ClemsonSteve

ClemsonSteve Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you have a trade, Jim Coleman will beat the NY/NJ dealers. They gave me KBB excellent--and did not play games....they inspected my trade and the deal was done.

westy72658 likes this.
  11. dprius3

dprius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ive been trying to get a plus but it's been hard even locating them. On top of that every dealer will absolutely not budge from a price of 23000 after toyota+dealer discounts. At this rate I think I might find a better deal in a month on an advanced trim. I just didnt like the HUD or large screen.

12. ml888

ml888 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks! That does sound attractive although my trade has some cosmetic blemishes that most private parties probably won't mind and just take a bit price off, but I worry a dealer might just try to lowball since they probably don't like to sell cars with some visual issues. The car itself is very mechanically sound too. So my plan is to try first get new car price decided, then try CarMax, either sell to CarMax/trade in later or sell private party. Driving a trade to MD (3 hrs away), not knowing I could reach a reasonable deal, would be a bit risky unless they can kinda have an offer beforehand if I send them photos?

Also westy and ElectricSpike, thanks for your suggestions too!

I'm still in active negotiations with both NJ and RI dealers. The RI dealer said it'd be $3988 instead of $4288 dealer discount because that car last month had a $300 special on it, and the Advanced cars left now don't have it. Not a big difference and still quite discounted, but given NJ has $500 more rebate than RI this month, the relative increase is like $500+$300 = $800 when I try to decide buying in NJ or RI. MD, as you guys suggested, I haven't try yet. Perhaps I can at least give them a call tomorrow? Is it worth to ask about tradein anyhow? Maybe worth a shot.

westy72658 likes this.
  13. ml888

ml888 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    2017 Plus were mostly sold due to price I think. There're still some premiums but vast majority is advanced. I hear you on HUD or large screen. I felt I'd rather have a smaller screen and some knobs (like temperature knob, fan speed knob, easier than having to press the screen, especially when the screen gives you the same sound feedback even if the place you pressed was off (and nothing gets adjusted)! Many issues with little details in the Prime that makes you wonder do the Toyota designer/engineer try to use the product they designed at all?? But I still like the Prime quite a bit as it gets the big things - safety, efficiency etc - right).

14. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Why not throw a wide net? Look for the lots that have a lot of Advanced on their lot? Shoot them an email, tell them you you would like a price with all dealer fees and the Toyota rebate as well as dealer discount all itemized so that you can compare their out the door price easily. If they don't itemize, focus on the ones that do. This way they know that you will be comparing dealers. Don't tell them about a trade in - you just want the car price. You will then know which dealers begin at a lower price, so you can deal from there.

15. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Why not throw a wide net? Look for the lots that have a lot of Advanced on their lot? Shoot them an email, tell them you you would like a price with all dealer fees and the Toyota rebate as well as dealer discount all itemized so that you can compare their out the door price easily. If they don't itemize, focus on the ones that do. This way they know that you will be comparing dealers. Don't tell them about a trade in - you just want the car price. You will then know which dealers begin at a lower price, so you can deal from there.

16. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

ml888 likes this.
  17. ml888

ml888 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, I should've asked them for itemized just in case, although I did tell them I'm contacting multiple dealers. I plan to ask for itemized list before I go to dealership. I am negotiating only new car price right now. Thanks for the tips!

18. karthik1107

karthik1107 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When I negotiate with dealers for price, I always refer to Grand total. Which means, that's the dollar figure I am writing check/loan to. Not a penny more. Dealer, Dealers cousin, tax, title, I could not care. I ask for grand total when I negotiate.

#1577 karthik1107, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    ClemsonSteve and westy72658 like this.
  19. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    People buying from out of state need to see the "tax" as well as registration fees, as they will need to do those items at home. It is way too easy for a dealer to hide fees, whereas I find it easier to negotiate on the price of the vehicle. That way I can ask them to meet a lower vehicle quoted price at a dealer who charges lower fees.

westy72658 likes this.
  20. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    People buying from out of state need to see the "tax" as well as registration fees, as they will need to do those items at home. It is way too easy for a dealer to hide fees, whereas I find it easier to negotiate on the price of the vehicle. That way I can ask them to meet a lower vehicle quoted price at a dealer who charges lower fees.

21. westy72658

westy72658 Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know this may be the wrong place for this discussion but since there are some new owners here let me ask. I am having a real hard time with getting my Entune contract ID to work when trying to get the Prius Prime app package. I keep inputting my contract ID and it says it’s incorrect or invalid.

Anyone else have this issue?