1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Plus in my hands

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Jan 19, 2017.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While we what for Bob...

I think most of what is needed for safety and operation is already available from SMA's Sunny Boy inverter line. DC input specs cover the hybrid battery voltage and voltage is voltage whether it's from PV or a battery. Example SUNNY BOY 3.0-US / 3.8-US / 5.0-US / 6.0-US / 7.0-US / 7.7-US

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Options/Specs:  Solar Panels, Fast Charging (regionally), Heat Pump And More
    "Despite just a 8.8 kWh battery, Toyota has made available three charging options: L1, L2 and DC fast charging – that is if you live in Japan, where an optional CHAdeMO outlet enables the Prius Prime to get a 80% charging just 20 minutes."

1/3 faster than Charge Mode or Charge Mode takes 50% longer, take your pick.

2. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Do we know for sure that Charge Mode takes 30 minutes to 80%. I remember one reviewer mentioned hearing it from Toyota's engineer, other indicates longer time.
    Do I miss something?
    30 minutes to 80% means a rate of one (EPA) mile per 90 seconds, can one of the owners verify this?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Arrived safe at after a 22 hour day and over 1,000 miles, details to follow:
    • Kill the creep - I have hated the synthetic creep ever since the Gen-1. But driving in town using dynamic cruise control, the car will come to a complete stop behind the car stopped at a light . . . foot off the brake! When light changes, a touch of the accelerator and you're in dynamic cruise control again!
    • Reading the speed signs - seemed to stop around Virginia but may have stopped earlier, say around sunset. Regardless, it is an important safety feature and I follow-up when we do the oil changes.
    • Added 10.9 gallons after driving 55.1 miles on the "E" icon @78.0 MPG, ~0.7 gallons. This suggests the absolute tank capacity is at least 11.6 gallons although the spec says 11.4. Regardless, I arrived home mostly empty so I can do an absolute tank capacity test AND see what sort of error lights or indications show up . . . and get some folks to set their 'hair on fire.'
    • MPG hybrid mode: 68.7 MPG @55 mph, ~54F, not a standard day. Our BMW i3-REx on the same route on a typical Standard day ~70F, got 44 MPG at the same speed.
    • 50 miles per mile marker showed 49.3 miles indicated on the trip meter: ~1.4% error. This means the indicated miles per hour would be about 1.4% lower than real and the real MPG about 1.4% lower.
    • Upon arriving home, I was steering with finger tips and the lane-keep assist could be felt bringing the car back in the lane . . . nice. I did not feel it before in part because new car and sub-optimal pavement.
    • "Nap time is calling my name"
    Bob Wilson

ps. Once I get a 2" receiver hitch for the Prime, there may be a good deal on a used BMW i3-REx.

#23 bwilson4web, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try to get some rest Bob. That can be difficult after a long exciting drive.

5. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    80% in 20 minutes, so I might be a bit off on that 20 kW figure (I'm working backwards from the battery capacity).

If it's like the Gen 4, I don't think it's reading the signs at all, it's based on the navigation system data. So, if there's no data for Virginia speed limits...

6. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, full charge is about 6.3 kWh from the wall (by EPA) so 80% full is about 5 kWh and in 20 minutes it is 15 kW actual draw which may require 20 kW rating.

7. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, it may well reach 20 kW (or even more) peak, even if the average is 15 kW.

8. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    However let me suggest another way of calculation, since it is DC and probably bypassing parts of the charger:
    6.3 kWh from the wall with AC means about 5.5-5.7 kWh into the battery for full charge, 80% of this is about 4.4-4.6 kWh and in 20 minutes this means 13.2-13.8 kW into the battery.
    I do not know the losses with DC charging and of course, as you said, peak power may be higher than average.

#28 giora, Jan 21, 2017
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the new car! And thanks for the writeup. 1,000 miles in < 24 hours is a nice drive home. You ought to try it on a motorcycle. It's easier to stand up and stretch without stopping. LOL!

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to your future evaluations, Bob. Thanks for sharing. IMG_5752.JPG

pianohawk, inferno, ruby and 2 others like this.
  10. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Welcome home

I think prior gen Prii could manage about 70 mpg at 50 mph, so your result matches up pretty well with the EPA reported ~ 10% improvement in car MPG.

thatoneraccoon likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds about right. i have read owners here acknowledging it, and i got 2 miles in about 3 minutes of highway driving. big drag on the car when you reds charge mode though, felt like someone threw an anchor out the window.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I made a mistake on my diet on the way back. Good news, just proteins, minimum-carb veggies, and cheese. Bad news, I drank water, club soda, and those small, double-espresso cans. I should have included a potassium source as I woke up with leg cramps <owch.> I try to avoid sugary drinks which is why sports drinks are not on my diet. <gerrr>

Line of thunderstorms moving through the area which should clear out this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll be able to do some mph vs MPG metrics and measure the actual tank capacity. Then Monday, do the car registration and later this week, the tweaks and schedule the oil changes. No reason to let the manufacturing debris remain any longer than the time it takes to get them in suspension.

Bob Wilson

#32 bwilson4web, Jan 21, 2017
    jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I tried charge mode twice and couldn't tell it from Ev or Hv from a driving responsiveness point of view. Just the sound of higher RPM. I suspect you were being fooled by the sound into thinking it was actually behaving differently.

14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have a plug-in Prius? Bisco & Bob are talking about the PiP & Prime. I do not think the liftback has charge mode.

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, I test drove a Prime twice and both times I used Charge mode for a portion of the trip.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did not see that in the Prius Prime Plus but it is not high on my list. The reason is with our BMW i3-REx I've observed the regeneration charge of the traction battery when going from highway speed to fill up the tank. One can actually 'pump up' the charge but that is a tricky technique.

Bob Wilson

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    FYI, driving the Prius Prime Plus (lowest end of scale) and listening to my tunes, the low volume and probably Bluetooth bandwidth limitation suggests a weak sound system might have inspired "carpool karaoke."

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not toyota's strong point.

19. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    If charge mode charges from 0 EV to 80% full in about 30 minutes that is 9+ kW charging.
    As I understand, @bisco switched to Charge Mode when cruising @ 55 MPH in HV mode, the power demand was very low (12-15 kW?), so adding 9 kW demand must be felt as bisco reported.

bisco likes this.
  20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, you don't have to feel it at all - the engine automatically throttles up when you put it in charge mode, and it can certainly maintain the same throttle-torque curve regardless. If you get to the point where you are nearing maximum engine output while in charge mode, it should just slow or stop the charging.

This isn't a 70s car with a cable between the accelerator pedal and the carburetor. The control system should be able to give you the torque requested no matter what.

I switched from charge mode to Ev mode at 65mph and didn't feel anything but the engine shut off. I switched back to Hv and then back to charge and, again, didn't feel anything other than a change in engine RPM.