1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Plus in my hands

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Jan 19, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Getting ready for a drive to Knoxville, I filled up after the 3d tank:
    [​IMG]
    I think it took about 8 gallons, not that I really care.

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Because it is a trip out of town, I want to make sure we're not held up by a flat:
    [​IMG]

So I used the space inside the spare tire:
    [​IMG]

Later,
    Bob Wilson

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks like you're ready, Bob.

Full size spare tire: check
    Umbrella: Check
    Road food in large spill-proof and bug proof container: check
    Sun hat: check
    Paper towels: check
    L1/L2? Charger cable: check
    A hundred other things in that bag: check

4. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I filled my fuel tank today for the first time since getting my Prime Premium on May 25th, with 5 miles on the odometer. It had gone 807 miles as of today and I put 8.78 gallons, for a calculated 91.334mpg. The car computer said 94.6 mpg but I've found that both my previous Prius cars had computer error that read higher than actual calculated mpg. Of course, I didn't fill the tank at the dealer before I got the car so there is some room for error there and this is just the first tank of gas. I've decided I will fill it with the pump on slow, then round it up to the next even nickel price when the pump shuts off, so my next few fill ups may be more accurate. But I am happy with my results.

bwilson4web and Prius from Dad like this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A Trip Report

Many years ago, I bought a Gen-1 pack from a wreck early into my Prius NiMH battery experiments, Prius Battery Photos, that was gathering dust in the shed after gifting our Gen-1 Prius last year. Then @gittarpikk in Tennessee reported he needed some Gen-1 modules for his 2001 Prius and a plan formed on how to recycle my unused Gen-1 pack to maybe help a 2001 Prius get back on the road.

Huntsville to Knoxville and Back

@gittarpikk lives about 214 miles away, easily a day trip, just outside of Knoxville. Leaving at 3 AM to avoid driving into the Sun rise, I arrived about three hours later. But recent rains and no clouds, there was significant fog for all but the city sections of the trip. But with the radar collision detection and dynamic cruise control, it was non-stop ... perhaps driving a little faster than the law would allow. The fog revealed that the brights project an impressive 'box of light' down the road but I was a little too busy to take a photo.

Arriving shortly after dawn, we got the pack onto a hand cart, it weights about 90 lbs,, and discussed where my Gen-1 module rehydration experiments and where I stopped. The root cause of Gen-1 module failure is overheating of the "O" ring on the battery terminal that is visually evident by the black smear around the B+ terminal. In normal operation, an NiMH battery generates a small amount of 2H{2} and O{2} gas from electrolysis of the KOH. If the "O" ring is intact, this gas will recombine over night to water, sustaining the electrolyte. But charging an NiMH battery is exothermic and makes them get hot enough to melt and weaken the "O" ring letting the gas leak out. Over time, this dries out the KOH which leads to low capacity and eventually, a spot heating short of the plastic separator in one of the six cells that short kills module.

My experiments found that rehydrating the module, it has a shared gallery between the six cells, and cycling the module leads to recovering full capacity. BUT I was never able to solve how to close the hole(s) drilled to inject the water. My last speculation, not tested, was to drill a hole in the useless, pressure relief valve (the actual one is the "O" ring!); inject the water, and; using a pair of modules, connect them with vinyl tubing tightly clamped. If the internal voltage does not lead to a 'short' via the vinyl tubing, it should provide pressure relief for the failing "O" rings and allow a pair of modules to return to service.

The other approach, plastic welding, is a technology @gittarpikk is well aware of so he may have more success than I did. The plastic case is exceptionally resistant to epoxy and I was not able to secure a stainless steel nut plate. But the problem of the weakened "O" ring remains. Since @gittarpikk has the technology, an avid RC hobbyist, and understands the technology, it made sense to 'clean our my shed' and gift him the spare traction battery. We then went for a cuppa coffee and @gittarpikk did the driving while I made a few suggestions.

Prius Prime Test Drive

A good test drive should consist of two sections with a break in between. The first drive is feeling out the steering, brakes, and mirrors of this strange car ... getting over the newness. Take a break so everyone gets a chance to calm down. Then the second drive is where the 'good stuff' gets covered. So the coffee break broke the drive into two and gave us a chance to discuss 'plugshare.com' and EV economics.

On the way back, we paid attention to the different driving modes: HV, Charging, EV, and discussed EV Auto. We also had a chance to do a few maximum accelerations with and without a charge and continue to explore how dynamic cruise control works. I still remember my trepidation when I first used dynamic cruise control and if he felt any, @gittarpikk hid it well. After an hour, it was a little after 8:30 AM (all times are Central Daylight) and it was time to head home.

Home Again

On the way back, I took biology breaks as needed and arrived about 3.5-4 hours later. I stopped at my favorite Star Market/Propst mini-shopping center; put an hour charge on the car, and; bought a pair of rather excellent Porter House steaks and fresh corn on the cob for dinner. Home again, my wife and her two dogs were happy to see me and I took a nap.

There is an old joke that if you lock your wife and dog in the trunk of a car. The dog will be happy to see you when you open the trunk. Happily, my wife and her two dogs were glad to see me when I arrived.

Rested

I enjoy the irony of a 2017 plug-in, Prius Prime, Gen-4(+), delivering a salvage traction battery pack to help a 2001 Gen-1 Prius get back on the road. It was ~7 hours; driving ~475 miles; ~67 mph block-to-block, and; about 8 gallons of gas. Hopefully everyone is happy again and the salvage, spare pack might help a 2001 Prius return to service.

Bob Wilson

#465 bwilson4web, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Prius Maximus, Oniki, bisco and 2 others like this.
  6. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

#466 gittarpikk, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It was dynamic cruise control and accident avoidance in our BMW i3-REx that led me to buy a 2017 Prius Prime. Before I was interested but after using it in the BMW system, it became a hard requirement after two weeks with our 2010 Prius:
    characteristic 2014 BMW i3-REx 2017 Prius Prime
    1 sensors optical optical and radar
    2 heavy rain turns self off turns self off
    3 warm-up 1-3 miles < 50F not seen freezing and above
    4 low speed 20 mph 28 mph
    5 come to stop yes yes
    6 resume from stop +1 mph resume +1 mph resume
    7 false positives shadows across road also cresting overpass with sign at night none
    8 lost lead vehicle tight cloverleaf curve tight clover leaf curve
    9 lead vehicle turns (*) comes to a near stop comes to a near stop

* - As the car turns, the rear part comes to a relative velocity of 0 mph to the following car direction of travel. Our wide-vision, primate eyes see the car is leaving the lane, something neither the optical nor radar sensors can detect. This causes a false positive for a non-moving, object in the lane. An experienced driver will override the alarm and use the accelerator to maintain speed as the vehicle leaves the lane.

Bob Wilson

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Trip summary for July 9:
    • 467.5 miles
    • 58.8 MPG
    Bob Wilson

Son of Gloin likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm starting to look a CHARGE mode duration and fuel burned. So I drove on the Interstate spur, 75-80 mph, to Decatur, 35 miles, for breakfast. When the SOC dropped to 0%, I reset 'A tripmeter' only to see impossibly high MPG, !44 MPG, which confirms what others have reported. The car continues on EV during the engine warm-up cycle. I continued resetting until the early tripmeter reading became more normal, ~50 MPG.

I parked so the front of the car was in shade, 90F, but the rear was in sunlight. The A/C was on, 76F, auto, and I put the car in "P" and CHARGE mode. The engine came on so with the windows up, I went to breakfast:
    time miles MPG SOC % gal
    1 10:13:59 AM 10 59.7 0% 0.1675041876
    2 10:49:49 AM 10 26.2 17% 0.3816793893

In summary:
    • 17% SOC increase
    • 35:50 mm:ss or 35.83 minutes
    • 0.214 gallons of gas (CHARGE and A/C at 76F, in 90F heat, 50% shade)
    Rough order of magnitude in 90F, 50% shade, 76F A/C:
    • 2.11 min/%
    • 0.0126 gal/%
    Based upon this ad hoc, non-optimal test:
    • 1 gal to reach 80% and keeping cabin 76F in 90F heat
    • 168.8 minutes (2:48 hh:mm) to reach 80% SOC
    On the way back to Huntsville, I ran the battery to 0% SOC using EV and then put the car in CHARGE. Halfway to my appointment, ~11 miles ~10 minutes, the 75-80 mph car was already at 16%.

These are by no means definitive results due to the 90F temperatures, sunlight, and limited range of some metrics. This was practice to figure out how to conduct more accurate benchmarks.

Bob Wilson

Prius from Dad likes this.
  10. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is cool... but you only got 0% -> 17% charge in 35 mins of CHG mode? if so, where is the claim that 0% -> 80% of the battery can be recharged in ~30 mins????

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have to do well documented tests at different speeds.

The car was in P in 90F and estimated 50% shade with A/C set to 76F. There are so many variables not controlled, it was ad hoc and imprecise. For example the integer %SOC would set some folks hair on fire because there could be a .0-.9% variation in the true SOC.

Bob Wilson

#471 bwilson4web, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  12. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some gear head thoughts:
    Need ICE rpm to calculate MG1 rpm to see if its power output changes with ICE speed. Add mph for calculating ring gear rpm when vehicle moving. How does the actual ICE rpm and fuel use compare to the BSFC of the G3 ICE(data similar and available)?

When driving with the ICE on the ICE picks up some of the load for MG2, lowering its power draw on the battery allowing more MG1 power to go into the battery. Basic feature of hybrid operation for all generations of HSD. I haven't found any good data on the efficiency of this operation over vehicle speed. It works or there wouldn't be any hybrids but how well?

There is a ratio of ring gear/wheel rpm to ICE/planet carrier rpm that results in zero rpm for MG1. If it's not spinning it's not generating/charging so this can't be allowed to happen except when the battery is "full"? Happens under very limited circumstances?

Burning 70 miles worth of fossil fuels in the name of science?:)

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Answers don't come free:

The Graybeard engineer retired and a few weeks later the Big Machine broke down, which was essential to the company’s revenue. The Manager couldn’t get the machine to work again so the company called in Graybeard as an independent consultant.

Graybeard agrees. He walks into the factory, takes a look at the Big Machine, grabs a sledge hammer, and whacks the machine once whereupon the machine starts right up. Graybeard leaves and the company is making money again.

The next day Manager receives a bill from Graybeard for $5,000. Manager is furious at the price and refuses to pay. Graybeard assures him that it’s a fair price. Manager retorts that if it’s a fair price Graybeard won’t mind itemizing the bill. Graybeard agrees that this is a fair request and complies.

The new, itemized bill reads….

Hammer: $5
    Knowing where to hit the machine with hammer: $4995

Bob Wilson

ps. I'm waiting on a call ... FYI, I did not knowingly leave a 'time bomb' and tried to document everything I had learned. But my experience is every 6-18 months a 'difficult' problem will reveal itself. If the product I supported is still working, I've got anywhere from 3-15 months before I 'get the call.' <GRINS>

If the product is still running, I've been lied to and ... my bill will be appropriate.

#473 bwilson4web, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    joachimz likes this.
  14. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    so the 17% increase in SOC was while the car was parked, ICE running in idle and AC at 76 - that does not seem that bad imho.
    I have played a little with charge mode (for normal commute it doesn't make sense for me) but my understanding is that others who have reported charging to 80% in like 1/2hr have done so while driving at fwy speed, so the ICE sblxomewhere close to max efficiency, and driving MG1 (or2) to produce more current to charge the battery.

it would seem that in order to see what's possible, one would have to be on a long(er) trip, run out of EV, go speed limit and see how long it takes to get to 80%. Obviously it will ll depends on speed, environmental conditions, flat or hilly and and ...

I'll volunteer to test on my next trip to NorCal, but that might be a month or two out

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suspect there is an optimum, maximum efficiency rpm/load. A little under that would be an ideal operating point to start CHARGE mode that would bring the engine efficiency into the peak, efficiency range.

Bob Wilson

NJ-PrimeAdvanced likes this.
  16. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't you think a car dealer who sells you a car should give you a full charge AND a full tank of gas. What's wrong with you Toyota.

pilotgrrl and Son of Gloin like this.
  17. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    +1. My Prime had 0% EV charge in it when I picked it up. Conversely, the tires were all @ 46psi. If only there was a way to convert tire pressure into electrons, I would have been able to drive the nine miles home without using that gasoline stuff. It was full of gas. I have no idea why I need the stuff, nor what to do with it, though I apparently needed it to get the car home. Dangerous stuff!

I did ask if the dealership had a charger. No, they didn't. But their sister dealership behind them selling BMW's did have an L2, presumably for the i3's and i8's. The problem, it seemed, was that it was an entire mile or more to get next door since there wasn't a common driveway between them, and they didn't want to put more mileage on my car. The car comes with an L1 charger, couldn't they have used that instead? That hadn't occurred to them, it seems. There will be a conversation with the service manager when it comes time to have a few niggles fixed and serviced.

GLouderback likes this.
  18. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't necessarily want to say they should do that... but if mine EVER gets here, I'll be insisting on it!

It's about 60 miles from my house to "my" dealership, so:

If they call me in the MORNING saying my car is there and/or ready to go, I'll tell them I'll be there by 3 or 4 in the afternoon. If they call me in the EVENING saying it's there, I'll let them know I'll be there by 10 or 11 in the morning. In BOTH situations, that gives them PLENTY of time to "fill it up" AND charge the battery....

PS: This probably is not a TOYOTA issue. More likely, it's the dealership / dealership's OWNER that's being downright "stingy" or telling his/her employees to "play dumb"! ("But... but... we don't know HOW to charge it!" Man... give me a break!)

19. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove a prime at the local dealer and of course the battery was empty. I told the salesman they should charge it so everyone can see how awesome ev driving is. He said the manager didn't want them charged because ev mode has less acceleration. :confused:

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tell them,"Please have the service manager check the charging cable over night. I've heard on PriusChat that the Toyota charging cables have a problem."

FYI, Toyota charging cables must have a problem because they are not checked to make sure they work overnight. Toyota claims they only work 10,000 times so something must be marginal.​

Anyone else have a problem with the Toyota charging cables? Perhaps that Toyota does not test them as part of Prime prep?

Bob Wilson

joachimz and Prodigyplace like this.