1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime pre-collision system and headlights

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by alinica2001, Jun 14, 2019.

1. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello,

I was wondering what has to do the pre-collision system with the headlights.
    I've found this headlight cover :
    "
    81131-47790
    Head Lamp Lens, Rh
    [09.2016 -] ZVW52..BASE KOREA SPEC&PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM-WITHOUT"

Is there something in the headlight that helps the pre-collision system to work ?
    What will happen if I will use the part above in and Advanced Prime ?

Thanks!

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's also listed at McGeorge Toyota as a US spec part. I don't think there is any involvement with a headlight lens and the pre-collision system, which uses a combination of the camera in the windshield and radar sensors behind the Toyota emblem on the front of the car.

upload_2019-6-14_16-36-43.png

upload_2019-6-14_16-44-24.jpeg

3. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you look at the image below, there is a thing highlighted in yellow that might be a sensor for PCS... Thoughts ?

Attached Files:

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm not sure how that sensor would be effective behind the bumper fascia, particularly a curved part of the fascia that would be in front of that. Check and see if has a part number on it.

5. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If we are talking milimetric waves, that sensor might make sense even if it's behind plastic bumper cover. Radar emblem is a good example.
    It's hard to believe that transmitter and receiver for radar are in the exact same spot due to interference...
    Maybe those sensors in the headlights are the receivers for the radar system/PCS system.

#5 alinica2001, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There may be different firmware in the headlight ECU sub-assembly to support the automatic high beam system, which uses the forward recognition camera found only on cars with the pre-collision system.
    If you have a car built for sale in the U.S., it might not be possible: the headlight assemblies seem to be sealed one-piece units. In the U.S. version of parts catalog Figure 81-01, Headlamp, note that no part number is listed for part name codes 81131B, 81132B, or 81131A, only for the complete headlight assembly RH, part name code 81135, part number 81145-47800.
    I wouldn’t read too much into that; the parts websites seem to list any part in the Toyota price file, regardless of whether it’s actually orderable or used on vehicles built for the U.S. market.
    On the contrary: many radar sets use the same antenna for transmitting and receiving. Toyota’s design— described in Kawakubo, A., Tokoro, S., Yamada, Y., Kuroda, K. et al., “Electronically-Scanning Millimeter-Wave RADAR for Forward Objects Detection,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1122, 2004—uses separate, phased-array antennas, but as seen in the internal photos of the millimeter-wave radar sensor assembly on Prius and Prius Prime cars, they are part of the same module, mounted behind the emblem in the front bumper assembly.

kevin.c and jb in NE like this.
  7. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Headlight assembly can be opened but you will need a new gasket for it. Look at the youtube link below ( this is for normal Prius but it's similar to what needs to be done on Prius Prime ) :

headlight lens cover replacement

I agree that Prius may be using only the radar sensor which is located behind the emblem.

I'm still wondering what's that thing highlighted in post #3...

8. RunningFox

RunningFox New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I cant tell from the pic and i havent disassembled mine, but as i work at another oem and my equipment calibrates this tech, i can promise that little pad has likely nothing to do with it. Its probabaly a moisture vent. The windshield camera sends a signal to the adas module, who then talks to the main ecm cpu, and finally the bcm which controls all the relays. Beyond that equipment, i also had headlight aim and ive taken every model lamp apart we make (5 models) and there's only ever the driver board to control the low and high beam.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus