1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Preliminary State Tax Credit Discussion

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by wjtracy, Mar 28, 2016.

1. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Don't forget that employer contributions is not counted towards the $20,500 limit. I noticed these two things also reduces your W2 income: HSA contributions and health insurance on your paycheck.

You'll have to make sure you don't get too much overtime, bonuses, dividends, etc. Good luck.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not necessarily. If you fall under Alt min tax, that knocks you out of a lot of deductions.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That's good thinking, unfortunately HSA's contribution limits are low, < 4K for a single person.. See if your employer offers a 457 plan; in most cases you can double-dip - check with your HR benefits department to make sure. Max. contribution is the same 20.5K for 2022.
    Don't forget to double-check your monthly budget to makes sure you can make this work with your new car payments - otherwise you'll be eating Raman noodles for the next year.:eek::rolleyes:

Ahhhhh; memory of my old college days.....:sleep::ROFLMAO::p:cool:(n)

Storm88000 likes this.
  4. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Sorry I'm late on this but $500 is correct. I live in the LHvalley and got the same amount via check about 2 1/2 months after purchase.

5. Aviator_Guy

Aviator_Guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I purchased my 2011 Prius Prime May 2021. I’m still waiting on my 1K check!! LoL

6. sjspe

sjspe New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks to all who commented! Unfortunately, the Oregon rebate administer clarified that you only have 6 months to apply after purchase, so I can't do any fancy tax moves and will miss out on the rebate. There are so many "if-only"s in this situation:
    - If only the car had arrived at the dealer 6 days earlier, I'd have qualified for the $2500 credit
    - If only I had switched over from Roth 401k to Traditional 401k earlier last year, my income would be low enough to qualify for the $5000 credit
    - If only there wasn't a benefit cliff, if only the administrators looked at more than lines 1-8 of 1040 so I could deduct IRA contributions, if only I was able to recharacterize Roth contributions, if only I'd read up more closely on the legislative changes, if only the DEQ had updated their website earlier...
    But there's nothing I can do at this point. Here's to learning (again) that nothing is guaranteed.

7. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can add Ohio as a NEGATIVE tax situation! $200 additional registration tax ANNUALLY for an electric OR Plug in Hybrid! What morons we have running our government here in Ohio!

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Virginia we now tax extra all vehicles over 25 MPG for cheating on state gaso taxes.
    Prorated by MPG So this year I paid $45 extra penalty for my 40 MPG RAV4HV
    We call it the HUF (Highway Use Fee)...sort of an estimated miles driven basis.

9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    LoL, I think I was one of the last ones to get my application in before they ran out of money in mid-March 2021. Got my check in late April or May 2021. Sorry:(:cry::sleep:

Gotta love those states that "unknowingly" encourage low mileage vehicles. Our state legislature tried that garbage out here too, anti-tax activists told them to find some other excuse to use - and they did :(:rolleyes::eek::sick::ROFLMAO:.

10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What $1k check? The CVRP for the Prius Prime has ended.

11. MoonBeams

MoonBeams Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The Delaware Clean Vehicle Rebate Program - DNREC Alpha

This is for Delaware residents. I took a look at this just now and noticed that the RAV4 Prime is no longer eligible for the $2500, downgraded to $1000 (unless I am remembering incorrectly). It says it was revised 2/14/22. Interesting. Makes me a whole lot less interested in the RAV4 Prime. I'm still trying to make a deal on a '22 PP at or under MSRP, but I am currently sidelined for a few weeks after some minor surgery. One of the dealers reached out and said they are out of stock on Primes, but will be getting more in the next few weeks, so hopefully that will work out.

12. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A few States have a max yearly budget for EV rebates. It's always good to double check your State's web site.
    For a State EV rebate, many States also require that the vehicle be purchased in that State, and by a State resident.

#212 prius16, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Virginia we do not have any rebates yet for Plug-ins, worse yet, we pay up to 5% annual car tax as a property tax. So RAV4 Prime you would need the Federal rebate just to hold even. I went to the RAV4HV LE. Of course Va. Dems want to add plug-in rebates but they failed to do so in our Blue period and now we are back to Purple state again. State rebates would need to be pretty big to overcome our annual car taxes.

Come to think of it, the fact we are back to Purple state validates my decision to stick with HV version for the RAV4, because no plug-in rebates here probably for a few years.

RAV4 Prime is great on paper though. I do not think you give up any cargo space, and you get a spare tire I think. Really the first plug-in with no excuses. Whereas Prius Prime you are sacrificing spare and cargo space. PiP was almost ideal in my book too.

Just had a flat tire too at the county recycling center which is a mess of crap on the roads. Luv the "mini" spares but not so mini on RAV4.. After Prius, when I first saw the mini RAV4 spare I thought it was a full sizer.

#213 wjtracy, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  14. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It was some sort of privately sponsored green initiative program, out of the LA region. I stumbled over it while looking for additional rebates and incentives, after I already purchased the car.:sneaky:
    It's a moot point now, since they ran out of money last year.

Gokhan likes this.
  15. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Virginia is messed up. Pennsylvania is too regarding vehicles- but wow

Pennsylvania you need a new $100+ inspection around 11 months after you purchase a brand new vehicle. Doesn’t matter if you drove it 4 miles - that only exempts you for from emissions. Cross the river into NJ and you are good for 4/5 YEARS.

16. captqc

captqc Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Oregon rules are crazy, I purchased a Prius Prime in December and I get the $1,500 rebate but because of my “income” (even though I’m retired) I don’t qualify for the $5,000 rebate.

17. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In Colorado the state tax credit is $4,000....I just moved to Kansas....where the State Tax Credit is...........(blank stare...:confused:) Oh and you pay taxes on where the car is garaged.....so 9.0% sales tax for me....regardless if I drive to Alabama to pick it up.

wjtracy likes this.
  18. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to my world, no credit, extra taxes and fees

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool, if misery loves company!
    Virginia we owe annual property taxes on cars "garaged" in any town.
    Each "locality" sets its own tax rate, but pretty high 5% range per year in my area.
    I'd be shocked if you had as much car tax we do.
    and now we got extra tax fee on plaino Hybrids, any car over 25 MPG owes more annual reg fee...sheesh

20. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes. My brother lives in VA. It's crazy what you guys have to pay. Kansas is a bit behind in EV adoption and despite being a Red state I happen to live smack dab in a Very Blue Area. despite being Purple myself.