1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Sales for September

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Team ChargePoint, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Team ChargePoint

Team ChargePoint Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The EV plug-in sales report is in, and the Toyota Prius Prime plug-in hybrid sold 1,899 units last month, close to their all-time monthly high back in May.

YTD, Toyota sold 15,056 Primes which is ahead of the Bolt EV sales YTD.

Sources:
    You can find the full monthly sales scorecard at InsideEvs and at Green Car Reports

[​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and they're still giving them away in the northeast! whoda thunk.(n)

3. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Giving away what?

On a different topic. Driving our EV, I have been regularly
    PHEV-d. To put it bluntly a plug-in hybrid, so far in all cases a Volt, was juicing up at the single point charger. These guys have a plan B, called gas tank. I don't have a plan B, I was in desperate need of electrons!

This behavior will create problems. I can just imagine fist fights, broken windows and in some parts of the world bullets flying. Unfortunately this behaviour is all but unregulable. Unless EV owners are issued special access cards or if the chargers can ID EVs and refuse to charge other plug-in cars.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I feel your pain and will apologize for your predicament.

I have a volt and thus far have never plugged it in outside my house for 2 reasons. 1. There is never a charger convenient to where I might need to go and be sitting for 4 hours to charge up.
    2. It takes 3-4 hours to get 30-40 miles of range which is equivalent to 1 gallon of gas. I find it pointless to even try to charge our Volt outside my home. The onboard charger is just too slow for what you get from plugging it in. This brings up something I saw recently. A local regional convenient store chain advertises an electric vehicle plug at many of there locations. I decided to check it out and guess what. It was a 120v 20 amp outlet on post. It would take forever to get an appreciable amount of charge from that. Totally pointless.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    primes.

and regarding peeve's at charging stations, if they are unwanted by the station provider, a simple sign will suffice. if they are not unwanted, then they are welcome to charge.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Removing the "free" from the charging station should chase away the hybrids.

Trollbait likes this.
  7. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So penalize everybody? Like when someone drowns at the lake, drain the lake? Malls an destination chargers are free to attract business. Simply changing human greed for a few cents and avoiding rotting gas in your tank is to much to hope for I guess.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then BEV owners should plan on chargers for attracting business being occupied. Free fuel isn't a right they get alone.

bisco likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as Prime and other Plug-in sales, I am thinking CA is extending free HOV as soon as the Gov signs the new bill, so that bodes well for continued sales.

Team ChargePoint likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Disney had a fleet of electric S-10's almost 2 decades ago. Were you concerned back then, when the inductive paddle chargers were ice'd at LAX, train stations & other public places?
    ;)
    see - most don't find problems to be a problem - until it's THEIR problem. Point is that this has been going on for a long while - and it's likely going to be ongoing. It's not a chargepoint problem (or other provider) because the parking lot - including electric stalls are often not enforced. After all - if it's a paying customer, do you really want to chase them away? No, they (shop keepers) would rather the minority electric car owners just have to deal with it.

Why single out PHEV's - when you have situations like THIS - where there's no PHEV's involved at all;
    2017-10-09 09.55.02.jpg
    A simple minded, ignorant 'tool' - taking out 4 charge stalls, in one fell swoop. Doesn't even matter the stalls are WAY in the back -
    Well - in Sweden one ev owner got together with a bunch of OTHER concerned drivers .... & they 'helped' ignorant drivers become aware of driver cluelessness - by going into the station's convenience store to enjoy a cup of the store's coffee .... mmMMMmm i love a nice slooow cup of jo - so relaxing.
    2017-10-09 09.19.15.jpg
    :D
    can you imagine if plugins decided to have a national "gas station Coffee Day"? ... media .... public awareness ....
    No? See - point is, ya gotta have a plan. Just complaining doesn't help.

2k1Toaster likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i plan on charging my phev wherever legal.:)

hill likes this.
  12. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My note was not really meant to be a complaint, it was an observation. After all I did get home OK. The point is that with the growing number of PHEVs, which is good, the problem will get worse. Micro chip around the charge inlet of EV's and a reader in the charge plugs could solve the charge problem, but not ICE-ing. It would also allow charging different rates for EVs and for PHEVs. Just thinking. Here is a business opportunity! Someone should patent the idea!

BBA100-1 using PriusChat mobile app

13. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could pickup a bunch of these and spread the word by leaving one on the offenders windshield. I guarantee they will think twice next time and use the tag when they know these exist.

Electric Vehicle Charging Etiquette Hang Tags

plug-it-in likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think etiquette should allow for unplugging someone who is finished charging.

plug-it-in likes this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    GM would tell you, "we don't need people like you to be thinking" because in California at least, they ramrodded legislation through that makes it illegal to unplug a plugged in car, even if it's charge Lights Show battery is full. Yes, it sounds like a perverse joke, but it's all based on the notion GM wants to make it super easy on its plugins .
    GM riles electric car advocates over charger sharing | Reuters
    The law is now almost a ½ decade old. Private parking lots of course, are still able to set up their regulations however they want here.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this goes right to the heart of plug-it-in's complaint re phev charging, enmity between plug in car owners.
    shame on jerry brown and other cali pols, has anything improved in 6 years?

#16 bisco, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Would you leave enough money for a gallon of gas in an envelope on their windshield?

The note should read:

Please accept this cash for a gallon of premium grade gas. I needed enough charge to get home and hopefully the gallon of gas is fair compensation for the lost EV charging.

Bob Wilson

plug-it-in likes this.
  18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't see a price on that page. Know where I could buy a few?

19. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would love a prime but there is no trunk room or hidden cargo. They should have put the batteries elsewhere

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  20. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #20 DMC-5180, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017