1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - the interior with the 8" touch screen

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Mister MMT, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've long been wondering what the interior of the lower end Prime versions would look like. They were announced as having an 8" touchscreen instead of the available 16" screen.

Today, with the help of Hortevin from the french Hybrid Life forum, I finally found that missing piece, apparantly well hidden by the Toyota marketeers...

Hortevin had seen a video where in a glimpse, the 8" screen could be discerned at 5:54.

I made a screenshot.

[​IMG]

Hortevin also posted an article in which he summarizes new information revealed to japanese journalists from Japan. I suggest using an on-line translator if French is an obstacle.

Asahi.com comments of a japanese testdriver
    webCG.net
    http://carview.yahoo.co.jp/
    cliccar.com with a wealth of information on the heath pump system and the solar panels

As far as this post is concerned, I was glad to find real images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be compared with the available 11.6" screen:

[​IMG]

I also found an image of the instrument cluster (2x 4.2 TFTs) where the pictogram of the HV-battery can be seen:

[​IMG]

From my point of view, it is nice to see that the interior of the lower level Prime models is upgraded from the non plug-in version.

Jan

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Please tell me that not all the Primes have softex seats.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's going on in the radio area?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Base Prime will probably have fabric seats (Cars.com said in their NYC video that there will be a Prime Three, Prime Four and Prime Four Advanced. If true, then the Prime Three will have fabric seats while the two Fours will have SofTex)

In Japan, you get to choose your radio head unit.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's cool!

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota says it will have standard heated seats. Do they make cloth heated seats?

2017 Toyota Prius Prime | Let's imagine the new possible.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i have them in my base pip.

8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Whatever gets me the 10-way power seats will be the one I want, after I tried those on a GenIV a few months ago. Or 16-way seats if they can make those. The big screen is nice - don't know if it will be +$5,000 nice. Then those white consoles will have to go, if for some reason the version I get comes with them.

Oh yes, almost forgot, those plastic frisbees on the wheels will be stored somewhere in the garage ceiling just after it makes its first trip home.

Still haven't got any Prius Prime email updates from signing up many months ago. Anyone else?

Also, does anyone know if those rear headrests in the U.S. version fold forward so we can all get a better view out the back?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me neither, missed the prime drive.:(

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just Saturday tried the G4 Four seats. The problem is, Softex is absolutely awful. It was black and burn-your-skin hot after sitting in the sun, and it's slippery. No problem for a couch, but horrid in a car. It's the main reason we're leaning away from a Four and towards a Three or a Prime.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could be the first person with aftermarket cloth!:p or better yet, trade the seats with someone who desperately wants softex.

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When my wife sat down on the Softex seats, she asked if they could be covered in cloth seat covers. But that's a kludge solution.

bisco likes this.
  13. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Naugahyde is what you want. Like what was used in the 1960's era bean bag chairs. Nothing has been better since.

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What I want is cloth. When I bought my 2004, it was the top package, and it came with cloth seats.

15. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then this video probably shows the Prime Three:

It has fabric seats, but I saw many pictures of Primes with leather seats.

It definitely has the smaller touch-screen, said in Europe to be an 8" one. I do not know for NA.

I made new screen shots, showing it a bit better, and as far I could tell, it is indeed larger then the regular 7" screen of the non plug-in Prius.

[​IMG]

It still has buttons (visible here at the bottom right) and a CD slot.

A few seconds later, there is a zoom:

[​IMG]

in which the CD slot is fully visible, but also part of the area used for displaying the infotainment items.

Now let's compare the first shot and the zoom with a picture of the 7" screen of the normal Prius

[​IMG]

Would you agree with me, that the border between the image displaying part and the right-side edge of the unit is slimmer ? Also, it appears to me it is a bit larger, relative to the CD slot, which together, would be in agreement with an 8" display surface.

What do you think ?

I find it utterly amazing (to use friendly words) that Toyota makes such a secret about this, putting all its marketing into an item which is optional. I hope this will not bring a lot of disappointment about possible clients.

@pc Staff. Could some of the staff members possibly signal this issue and request clarification with images showing the info that will be displayed on the standard screen at their earliest convenience? Just common sense to me!!

Jan

#15 Mister MMT, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. As Bisco said, even the PiP had standard heated seats with fabric seats. It's more efficient to have heated seats than to heated up the entire cabin. So my guess is it will have heated cloth seats.

But since 2006, the top package has had leather or SofTex.

Sure I'll buy that. It'll be nice if the base screen size was 8" in NA but given that we have 7" as our base screen size for the Gen 4, the safe assumption would be 7" for us but again, other countries can possibly get the 8" screen as standard (and I think some do for Gen 4 but I can't think of any specific one off the top of my head :( ). It's also possible you may not get the 11.6" screen so every model gets the 8" screen. Who knows. We won't know for sure until all countries release their specifications.

17. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great! I rather believe additional infotainment which needs to be put may need a larger, dedicated display.
    I do not know of any country receiving a larger then 7" display for Gen4. In Japan, there is an interesting after-market 9" display:

[​IMG]

available here. Thanks to Hortevin from HybridLife for that info!

[​IMG]

Here in Europe, it is official: we will not get the 11.6" screen. That's also why our Prius community is eager to know the specs of what we'll get. It is already saddening enough we don't get it!

Jan

bisco likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh you're right, it's Japan!!

Not sure it's aftermarket, since it appears you have a choice of headunits when you buy your Prius in Japan (I assume the 9" version is only available on higher grades of Prius).

トヨタ プリウス | 室内・インテリア | カーナビ・オーディオ | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

Looks to be a dealer-installed accessory if you order a car that doesn't have a head unit.

19. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I buy that! That looks great to me. Japanese are lucky.

Jan

20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No spare, I presume, but where are the jack, lug wrench, compressor and tire goo?