1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime tire question - can't get a straight answer

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Lisa99, Sep 14, 2020.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I apologize for the duplicate list. I was tediously copying the names down on my phone from another window...

moto g(7) power ?

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @jzchen
    I think it's the X Tour A/S
    but don't quote me on that -
    edit: no worries - I was doing the same from the michelinman site myself
    and I still can't do the copy paste thing very well on my lg v20
    and at priuschat remembering which screens allow highlight and right click paste and which screen require CTRL+C to cut and CTRL+V to paste on the computer is frustrating at best.....

#22 vvillovv, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    jzchen likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    XTour is rebadged Defender, from what I've read.

jzchen likes this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry again, and please don't quote me on this either.
    I haven't closed the Sites-michelin-us-Site linked above
    and the Primacy A/S is the tire with the same 55k treadlife warranty and Low Rolling Resistance as the Energy Saver A/S

the pictures of the X Tour and the Defender T+H show subtle tread design difference but have the same 80k treadlife
    X Tour
    • Long Treadlife
    • All-Season Safety
    • Smooth & Quiet
    • Club Exclusive
    • Mileage warranty: 80,000 miles. See warranty for details.
    • Standard Limited Warranty: 6 years
    Defender T+H
    • Ultimate Treadlife
    • All-Season Safety
    • Quiet & Comfortable Ride
    • Mileage warranty: 80,000 miles. See warranty for details.
    • Standard Limited Warranty: 6 years
    There is a Product Details button beside each of the tires listed on that page for the prius prime
    which probably goes into more detail regarding each of the tires.

#24 vvillovv, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    jzchen likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got primacy mxm4 (in 215/45R17); they're a good pick, have the Michelin LRR badge (name escapes me). That said I experienced a significant drop in mpg when switching over, and I don't seem to getting back to our old numbers (with Pilots, also with LRR badge).

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had harmony's 80k treadlife on the older hybrid and they lasted around 100k. I had a sink / pot hole blowout road hazard replacement early on. I'm crossing my fingers in the hope my defender nordman 7 sets do even half that well.
    I noticed lower mpg with the newer tires too. Nothing to write home about though, as there are enough other issues to deal with ATM, like the RF brake pad drag, and even that is not a deal breaker for me, just a certain level of frustration like every other car I've ever had.
    I'm very happy with the way the car handles with the new tires. It's noticeably firmer than the OE Toyo's, but the Toyo's were almost to the bear wars uh, I mean wear bars, so not really a decent comparison, and it is one less thing to have to worry about, hopefully.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've been reading a lot of threads yesterday where Rob43 comments on handling with his 17" s and another about the 16" donut - what was it? 135/70/16 from a gen3? I'd like to test out 17" sometime, but for now I'm happy with the 15" on typical 20 mile daily runs, plus whatever else gets thrown into the schedule.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have nothing against Discounted Tire Warehouse as a company. I applaud that they put their physical address on their website for reference. I found one company in Europe that used another company's mailing address falsely. That was crazy to say the least, but I hope not here.

Quite frankly I would not buy discontinued tires from Las Vegas unless you can verify a recent manufacture date code because of the crazy heat they experience.

I was surprised a search of http://www.tires.com found no locations within 250 mi from NY, NY, so I guess they don't have locations in NY. They do ship similar to Tire Rack. They tend to turn around tires a lot and don't usually have discontinued tires available.

I noticed you kept track of how many miles you got on a set of tires. I can never remember that far unless they were the original tires that came then it's easy just look at the ODO. The Treadwear number is indicative (to me) how many miles I would get out of the tire. I know it's a relative number but the higher it is the further you'll go. If MPG is important stick to LRR Ecoimpact etc whatever a manufacturer calls their gas sipper tires...

moto g(7) power ?

9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Me either jzchen ( nothing against them ).... I was just glad to be able to find the tire ( anywhere - brick and mortor on online ) in the size Lisa - the OP was asking for information on. It appears we may have lost Lisa in all the confusion concerning the that specific size of tire.
    Just me, but I usually don't dive to deep into many of the web pages I use as references to questions asked here at PC, and I was just as confused about the Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 s as Lisa when I first read the original post OP.
    Besides, I was curious enough to dig around some. I guess I needed to dig a bit deeper than usual as it's turned out. lol anyways,
    I got the Michelin Harmony's.after reading rave reviews about the tire and how long they wore for others online and the reviews looked legit to me at the time, before I purchased.
    iirc, I mounted them at 65k and they lasted me until around 165k. I'd have to dig into buried paperwork to be more precise, but that is my best recollection without digging up the receipts, That car has an interesting assortment of tires on it now at 180k

10. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Discount Tire / America's Tire has the best deals
    Sign up for their store credit card and you get an additional $40 rebate (usually is higher during sales, like labor day, black friday etc)
    plus you can get Manufacturer's rebates
    Hankook has another $40 for their Kinergy PT H737 currently (these are great all-around tires)

90k miles tires. I don't think that you would save enough $ on LRR/eco tires to make up for the savings of purchasing the above tires.
    Keep the recently replaced tire as a spare - maybe look out for a cheap 15" toyota wheel to mount it on (check craigslist)
    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/hankook-kinergy-pt-h737/p/39149

Costco can also be competitive with their rebate/coupon promos. Discount Tire will match their price, though, and you can still get the rebates. So if you found a Costco deal for the same tire, ask DT/AT to match and you'll be money ahead.

Shopping for deals/rebates takes some time and effort, but you will save hundreds of dollars over the life of the car.

vvillovv likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In 15" I'd probably go with Defender (with whatever the suffix letters currently are).

Or the Costco X-Tours, same tire but a bit cheaper.