1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime XLE navigation system: updates,traffic, etc.

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by EugeneK, Aug 9, 2021.

1. EugeneK

EugeneK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am considering 2022 Prime XLE as my next Prius, but I cannot find reliable information about its navigation system (the one with 11.6-in. display). Since it does not have Android Auto, a crippled fee-for-service GPS would steer me (pun intended) away from this model.

My two questions:
    1. How does it get map updates? (free or paid? do-it-yourself or by a dealer? card, cord or wireless?)
    2. How does its functionality compare to that of Google Maps? (traffic? points of interest? alternative routes?)

I would be grateful for info and advice on this matter.

2. Schrauger

Schrauger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    1. I'm not positive, but I think map updates require a trip to the dealer and a fee to update. I do know the live traffic updates run on the built-in connection since the map shows the (limited) traffic conditions even without having my phone paired and connected.
    2. The functionality is terrible compared to google maps. The display runs around 2-3 FPS, so it feels very choppy and sluggish when running. And the color scheme and overall map GUI feels very dated. The address search work fine when you're parked, but searching for points of interest or doing alternative routes is far less impressive.

It's nice to have a backup option if your phone loses signal or is dead and you forgot the charger. But I much prefer the cupholder map on my phone (or phone mount) and almost never use the built-in map.

burrito and EugeneK like this.
  3. EugeneK

EugeneK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much for your answer!
    From your experience: if the build-in GPS function sucks and there is no Android Auto connectivity, do you see any benefits of the large display in XLE over the small (but Android Auto-compatible) one in LE?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same mantra since toyota began adding gps 15 years ago

5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It works OK. The update is via micro SD card and is easily replaced by the consumer.

I find it to be as usable as google maps. There are things it does not allow while driving, and I think that's related to some government regulation. If I need information beyond what the NAV system provides I just grab my phone. BTW, you can change your destination to previous destinations while driving.

6. Schrauger

Schrauger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    No, I only see downsides. In fact, if I could get an XLE with the smaller screen I would have gone for that for sure. I contemplated getting an LE solely because I dislike the large screen but decided against it due to the other upgrades I'd miss. Physical buttons are much better than the capacitive buttons that are next to the touchscreen for volume and climate control. And when you're playing music via bluetooth, the giant 11 inch screen has a tiny 1/2 inch play button next to the forward and previous track buttons with basically no margin.

The large screen really feels like hardware for the sake of bullet points but with very little effort put in to make it usable or desirable. For passengers, it's a cool looking feature. But as an owner, it doesn't add any value for me.

The upgraded seats are definitely nice - not only the upgrade from fabric to faux leather (softex), but also the upgraded power seat adjustment options. But that's getting a bit off topic for your thread.

Salamander_King and bisco like this.
  7. bodielgt

bodielgt New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just bought a 2022 Prius Prime XLE. The navigation system is total crap. I have a Samsung Android phone which is not supported, rendering the large screen totally useless. Get car.! Lousy navigation system. Very disappointing. Will be using my wife's iPhone for navigation purposes.

#7 bodielgt, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2022
    Salamander_King likes this.
  8. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I can't imagine what level of skill would result in any nav system being "totally useless". I guess I just have a knack for using tools as they are designed to be used. Must be because I used to design systems and software. I have no problems with the existing system, and appreciate the extra room that the big screen provides.

It's kind of silly to complain that the car you bought does not do something that it was not designed to do. It's not like you have to buy the car without using all the features. Heck, when I bought mine, the salesman let me drive it for the afternoon.

GSK likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I hate to tell you this but @bodielgt is not the first person to think the PP's navigation system is really bad. I had to buy an Ltd trim since that was the last and only PP left on the lot, even though I had no intention of using its navigation system or any other functions of the 11.6" screen that came with the car. Since day 1 after the purchase, I have not touched the navigation system on my 2021 PP Ltd, since I knew how awful that system is from my experience with the 2017 PP Premium. I rely on Garmin on the dash for all my navigation needs.

BTW, for @bodielgt and me, and probably for you too, the large 11.6" screen IS totally useless for rendering Android phones. That function never existed and still does not exist on the large screen.

upload_2022-3-5_0-25-55.png

#9 Salamander_King, Mar 5, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  10. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I did not buy the large screen for use as a remote cell phone display. I don't expect it to work that way, especially since there are laws here in California against having a video screen in front of the driver. I do like the large map display when I'm driving solo. It makes it easy to spot off ramps and points of interest long before I get there.

I tried the nav system before buying the car. It was similar in many ways to the one on my wife's Camry, and we find that to be useful even with a small screen.

Maybe it boils down to the need to learn the systems and use them???

GSK likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good for you, if the nav on your PP works for you and you like it. I can see that a larger map on a screen can be a benefit for some. But I don't like looking away from the road when I am driving, So a large screen or not, a nav screen I have to look down and away from the road does not give me a benefit. I am just saying that I don't like the nav system that comes with a car, especially one with PP. And I am sure that I am not alone feeling about the nav on those cars that way.

As I said, I owned 2017 PP Premium before. I read the manual, learned about the nav, and used it. And concluded that I do not like it. I also owned a 2020 PP LE with a smaller screen and phone-linked Scout GPS nav system that came with the car. I did not like the system either. Thus I went back to my old way of navigation using the Garmin. I am fine with that on my current PP Ltd since I had no intention of using the nav that came with the car when I bought the car. My preference is always buying a trim without an onboard nav rather than paying more for less on the features I don't need if I had a choice. But this time around, I did not have a choice.

For the topic of this thread, one thing to dislike about the onboard nav, especially on PP with a large screen. $200+ to pay for a map update data is just ridiculous. I get free lifetime map updates on my Garmin. The unit itself costs less than $200. For people use to using a phone for navigation, the onboard nav system is just not a great feature. I don't use phone nav unless in a pinch, so a good old stand-alone Garmin works for me.

#11 Salamander_King, Mar 5, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  12. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The nav system isn't great but hardly so bad I'd choose a base trim over it. I've been using my phone on a mount for navigation for years. And for a long time most OEM head units were really bad.

Anyway I did get this little device that adds Android Auto to the XLE/LTD head unit. And it's wireless. It's close to the price some Toyota dealers ask for the map update SD card.

13. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I have a couple Garmins and a Magellin GPS too. All have been gathering dust for years. I'm sure the batteries are shot.

I'm quite familiar with the way that they work... at least up until around 2012 when a large smart phone and Google Maps surpassed many of Garmin's features. Until 2012 I had a Garmin mounted between the steering wheel and the dashboard of my 2002 Prius.

Unfortunately, no matter where they put that screen, most people have to refocus their gaze when looking outside the car as opposed to closeup inside. The more information that's added, the larger percentage of your concentration it takes. I don't know about you, but I can't monitor side and oncoming traffic with my peripheral vision while digesting all the information present on that small screen while driving safely. I cut the information back to the minimum for safety reasons.

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    LE is a better trim than XLE, but Limited is a far better trim than both.

Toyota navigation is OK, but it sometimes gets you lost.

15. SCdave

SCdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the 2021 Prius Prime XLE. Great car but do not like the large display. I bought XLE inspite of the large display.

Main reason for XLE was power drivers side seats and faux leather. Last Prius had cloth and I was okay with cloth but faux leather is better for my needs If I could have had a LE trim option of Soften Seats and Power Drivers Side Seat, this would have been perfect for my needs. But wasn't available so XLE for me.

XLE Large Display Glare - Twice a day, depending on driving direction/sun angle, I have a small towel I will put over the display to block the horrible glare. I'm 6'1". My other choice would be an uncomfortable seat position. Yes, you can turn off display which I do for 90% of drive time. Still get glare though.

A/C controls - there are hotter/colder physical control buttons on bezel left side of large display. But no On/Off Physical Controls or other settings.

A partial hack is toggle physical front defroster bezel control " On then Off" and " "A/C will come on at last setting" - this is my default " A/C ON" switch". But to turn off A/C, you must have display on. Yes, a simple voice control of "A/C or Air conditioning ON/OFF" would have been awesome. It a physical A/C On-Off. But no, Voice Commands are 3 steps deep to do much of anything.

Display Map software is from early 2000. It's functional but not current. What takes one command by either voice or touch on any basic phone NAV takes 3+ with display NAV or Voice Control. Example would be on Google Maps, "Drive Home* - done deal easy peasy. If you can do that with Large Display NAV, please let me know.

I also like my driving vision higher and not looking down towards display (I use a Vent Magnetic phone Mount. Also keeps phone cool since on vent). There is a nice feature with Display NAV and that is "turn by turn" can be displayed on the smaller center 1/3 of the dash LCD displays (one next to digital speedometer). Yup, that's the only cool functional advantage of the large display NAV. Soo, can one use Prime Large Display NAV, sur e. Do I, nope. Can't comment on Apple Car Play since I'm Google Android and there is no Android Auto included with the XLE Large Display (go figure). Yes, I could get a iphone or there are some apple media devices that emulate apple you can get. But that's not what I currently have

Media - Besides the physical bezel controls on right lower side of large display, I don't use the touch Media / Radio controls much (used for various presets and other media settings). I use the steering wheel media/volume control buttons the most while driving.

Thanks for starting this post so I could vent about the inane Prius Prime XLE Large Display. I have done this nicely to Toyota Dealer Service when I have gone in for my free service, but blank stares and only "so will you be staying here or need a ride home"?

Oh, still love my Prius Prime. Not perfect put a great in-between Hybrid and full EV for my current needs.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That should make you feel better SCdave.

I have very few problems with the car and it's infotainment hardware/software. It's light years ahead of my previous car (2002 Prius) and as usable as the wife's top of the line 2010 Camry. When I updated the map data in early 2020, it included a software update. The changes were minor, but it was nice to see that they were keeping it current.

The biggest problem I have is that I have not sat down and played with the voice commands enough for the car to map my voice to the activities. As a result, the car does not yet respond properly with voice commands like "call home" and "navigate home". I was not surprised. The voice recognition on the Samsung Galaxy phone had the same problems when I first started to use the voice command functions.

17. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I just did that a few minutes ago. "Go home" was the command, and it brought up the nav screen with the "OK" button to accept the path. The path to my house was on the screen. That button would have timed out ( defaulting to OK) in 15 seconds or so, but I tapped the button.

I guess it's one of those things where you might need to work with it a bit more.