1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime YTD sales vs Tesla

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Old Bear, Oct 21, 2018.

1. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I drove 2014 Prius Plug-in (returned lease when we bought our 1st Prime in Nov 2016) and 2013 Leaf (traded it in when we bought our 2nd Prime earlier this year).

I went from BEV (Leaf) to PHEV because of the battery degradation over time and Leaf's quickly diminishing cash value. I would have kept my Leaf if Nissan permited a swap of higher-density/newer batteries. I agree with John1701a's assessment that the cost of batteries/BEVs are not low enough for the majority of us without Federal tax credit and State programs. IMHO, the cost is prohibitedly high for many of us despite the Federal and State programs because those moneies are not made available at the time of purchase in the US.

While I respect Tesla's success in appealing to those who can afford it, I personally would choose less driving performance and higher energy efficiency.

I long for the time when we no longer depend on oil. For the moment, I am glad that we have Prime with its stunning efficiency.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Different options make for a healthy market!
    We need PHEVs and BEVs at all levels of price.

I disagree though, that the established manufacturers couldn’t make a BEV at scale, profitably.
    I also strongly disagree with anyone that implies (and you did not:)) that Electric vehicles aren’t any good unless they are offered for the low end of the market.

If there are one million EVs in use, it doesn’t matter if they are $100,000 cars, or $10,000 cars.
    New technology always costs more. As they are produced in larger and larger numbers, those prices have, and will come down.

When it comes time to turn in your Prime, I am hoping there will be a number of additional options for you :)

heiwa likes this.
  3. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    If the Leaf allowed you to swap battery, it probably would have cost you the same as buying a 2018 Leaf after the tax and state credits? Did you even look at the 2018 Leaf prior to purchasing the 2nd Prime? I may trade in my Prime for a Leaf.

4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looked at them. Then still come with the no cost feature “Range Anxiety”. No thanks.

5. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, my wife and I drove 2018 Leaf and loved it. Unfortunately top trim Leaf SL would have been much more expensive in terms of monthly payment, compared to Prime Advanced for previously stated reason, retroactive tax credit and rebates.

The 24kWh battery swap on the other hand would have been affordable. I would've settled for 30kWh battery with 25% cost increase, but Nissan is not offering such upgrade.

I never had any range anxiety driving Leaf because I planned the drive each day.

Going back to the point of John, BEV is still too expensive to the mass who need to take a car loan even with the current tax credit and cash rebates.

Wouldn't it be interesting if our government gives each US household a sufficient cash grant towards purchase of US made BEV/PHEV as a part of domestic economic stimulus and a long term foreign policy?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe the Model 3 is one of the most efficient cars available. EVs can let you have efficiency and performance. A less powerful motor should reduce the price, but much of the cost is in the battery. That said, the costs have been dropping faster than predicted; a 16kWh pack likely costs less than the $7500 tax credit at this point.

A rebate or direct subsidy would have been much better than the tax credit.

I do not see battery upgrades happening from the traditional auto manufacturers for the same reasons they don't offer engine or transmission upgrades.

Nissan gets praise for offering a BEV for the masses. Unfortunately, their cost cutting on battery cooling as hurt many consumers.