1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Problems - How does it affect you?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tidalflats, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Coasterguy

Coasterguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was gonna get one then I changed my mind. After two weeks of the news and reading in here I went back to a different dealership and now I am picking my new V tomorrow. I am getting about $1900 off sticker. (yes I am sure) that is the discount I am getting. I cannot wait. If I have a problem I will drop it off later and take a loaner until they get it fixed. I am more excited to get top dollar for my trade and a deal on a new V.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't bother me. For one thing, I haven't felt the sensation yet (I have on our 2005 but not yet in the 2010).

Besides, no one freaked out when there was a recall on the 2004/2005 Priuses... Oh wait, I know why. No one cared about the Prius back then because they all thought it would fail.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought the car knowing there would be first release problems. It happened with both the NHW20 and NHW11. It probably also happened with the NHW10. Regardless, early problems come with being a first adopter. But I also realized there were signficant performance improvements and the ZVW30 has fully met those expectations:

• +5 mph for same MPG - the ZVW30 easily provides the ability to cruise at 70-75 with mileage equal to 65-70 mph.
    • improved handling - no need for an after market stiffening
    • better tracking - the steering geometry is more stable than neutral
    • safety improvements - the pedestrian safe front end, standard traction control, and air bags all around. Even the NHW20 achieved an excellent rating from the Insurance Institute until they 'moved the goal posts' two months later.
    • space - my wife's wheel chair fits in the back easily
    In contrast, there are only two problems on my list:

• brakes - even though I can't replicate the problem others have reported, I did buy some Gulf Coast Data Concepts accelerometers to understand what is going on ... still investigating.
    • "check engine light" - doesn't come on when the last of the gas is burned.
    I wasn't expecting perfection but "good enough" and our 2010 Prius easily meets that threshold.

Bob Wilson

4. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "check engine light" - doesn't come on when the last of the gas is burned.

WHy should check engine light come on, the engine is fine

The light should indicate

"Hey Dumdass, put gas in the tank " :D

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The first reason is historical. It is how the NHW11 and NHW20 work. So if one is running the car out of gas to burn up the last of a bad tank, you know it is time to find a safe parking place to add the spare gallon.

The second is regardless of cause, if the control computer asks the engine to run and it does not, raising the "check engine light" signal is the right thing to let the owner know the engine is not going to run. Regardless of the cause, which might include electrical or mechanical problems. Again, it lets the owner know to find a safe place to park. Motorweek made a favorable reference to this feature in the NHW20 when their engine failed and they were able to use the traction battery to find a safe place to park.

Not seeing the "check engine light" raises the probability that it won't work in other situations that are not fuel related. I hope that is not the case but it is easy enough to test.

Have you seen the "check engine light" come on for any cause other than self-test?

Bob Wilson

6. Canyon10

Canyon10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulate to you that you do not have the issue. No offense here, your statement "Even if it did, I fully understand the issue and personally do not see it as a safety issue." is somewhat not appropriate based on your "IF" that sometimes can misguide people that really have the brake problem. Obviously not every Prius has the issue and you just have the good one. I believe safety issue should be evaluated carefully more than emotion or brand loyalty.

7. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can confirm the problem with the brakes from here in Australia.
    Yes, when you have your foot on the brake pedal & you then go over a pothole the brakes release. I get to test this problem every time I go to my local gym (3 times per week), as the pothole is just before an intersection.
    I was really scared me the first time, as I thought when they released I was going to drive straight onto the intersecting MAJOR road.

This is a problem with ALL Priuses, as it is software based.
    They will have to fix it.

8. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just here for a good time

I just like saying Dumbas , like Red from the 70's show :)