1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius pulling an RV? What do you pull !!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by engerysaver, Jun 16, 2013.

1. sewspclprius

sewspclprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    has anyone had any luck with towing with a 2010 Prius? what type of hitch would you recommend and I understand the towing capacity is 2000 pounds. I'm thinking of a small camper that is 1600 pounds. any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am thinking of purchasing a small camper that is around 1650 lbs. would eight class one hitch work and would you recommend towing with a Prius? I was happy to see your pictures on here. Thanks. Do I need air bags also?

would you recommend a hitch for my previous three to tow a small camper that weighs 1650 lbs? Would I need air bags? Prius is 4 years old with only 40,000 miles on it but don't want to push my luck on towing. any advice? Thanks

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You are asking a very touchy question, the Prius line of vehicles has not been designed with the towing capabilities you have on mind, hence Toyota doesn't provide a hitch kit as an accessory.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest you rent a truck.

Listen, I know a lot of Prius owners ignore the Owners Manual and tow things. And since their vehicle doesn't spontaneously burst into flames or fall into a pile of pieces they claim some type of " I know better than Toyota" knowledge.

But here is EXACTLY what Toyota says, and recommends:

**Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing.**

OK? That means from Toyota's POV, there is no towing capacity. I really don't know how it can be made any clearer. Unless Toyota adds the phrase "Dumb nice person" to the end of the sentence.

You want to use your Prius to tow? Go right ahead. Do it today, tomorrow and for years to come. Your vehicle, Your risk.

IMO Toyota (THE MANUFACTURER) is telling you The Prius is NOT the right tool for the job. But if you wish to use a hammer to screw in a nail? Go right ahead.

But there is no sanctioned, approved towing capacity. Only those owners willing to ignore the recommendation and the phrase "YOUR VEHICLE IS NOT DESIGNED FOR TRAILER TOWING"...and in this regard the capacity for stupidity seems near limitless.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And while I don't think most insurance companies would pull this and expect to prevail (because all vehicle ratings are on the conservative side), if you have an accident with a regular vehicle that's loaded WELL over capacity or towing WELL in excess of what it's rated to tow OR if you are using a vehicle in a way for which it simply was not designed...they will try to make that a basis to mitigate or negate any claim you have on your policy.

Use a Prius to tow a little U-Haul trailer or moving box, you might be okay. Haul something big, I'd expect the insurance company to laugh and dare you to see them in court.

Read your policies carefully before attempting something like this.

5. sewspclprius

sewspclprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the camper I'm looking at is 1600 pounds. Do you think that would be ok to tow with a 2010 Prius 3?

this would just be a little te 1600 camper 1600 pounds. The camping store even had thePrius listed. and the name of the hitch that Toyota recommends.

Thanks. But the camping dealer told me they put them on Prius because they make a hitch for the Prius. I just don't want to buy a second vehicle just to tow a light weight fiberglass small camper. Thanks

did you ever get an answer on the suspension bags? There are some on here that's say absolutely no towing but why would they make a hitch if you couldn't oh with it?did you ever get an answer on the suspension bags? There are some on here that's say absolutely no towsome have good luck I justing but why would they make a hitch if you couldn't tow with it? some have good luck I just don't wanna ruin my car. Thoughts?

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish you the best of luck.

sewspclprius likes this.
  7. Jeff De Mello

Jeff De Mello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's my 2014 Prius with my buddies teardrop camper. I drove it from Stockton, CA to Seattle, WA (up I-5), and back down the coast highway. I noticed little, if any, difference in handling the Prius. The gas milage did go down from my usual 48mpg to around 33mpg, which seemed very acceptable. I did have to push the "Power Mode" button going up hills, but most of the time I was in "Eco Mode" for highway driving.

[​IMG]

8. don m

don m Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yes I have pulled car dolly with golf cart fully loaded and bought a swivel wheel trailer I use regularly but not much tongue weight. I carry spare tire and 4kh enginer in back

9. sewspclprius

sewspclprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info.

10. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jeff, I was not able to open your picture .
    Not Found The requested URL /customers/me/teardrop.jpg was not found on this server.

Can you repost pictures? I would love to hear more details on your towing experience. What was the model, size weight (loaded) of the trailer? About how much weight was in the Prius (including passengers)?

11. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Energysaver and all Prius towing enthusiasts!

I've been away from P Chat for a while.
    We just got back from a two day trip to Yosemite meeting with friends at a KOA camp site outside the park. We rented a cabin for one night. This trip was in my new 2015 Mustang convertible :) :) At this KOA camp it was like being at an RV, 5th wheel and camp trailer show!! Lots of fun RV eye candy. From very small motorcycle, a 10' tent trlr, reg. size tent trlrs, tear drop trlrs, on up. Driving home we started thinking again about a small trailer to tow behind our new V6 Mustang convertible. Of course my mind went to liking to have the 'option' of using the Prius to tow a potential trailer also. ;o) I am 'toying' with the idea of a 6' to 7' wide by 10' or so long pop up tent trailer. I saw a Clipper Sport 106ST there which the guy said was 1800 lbs loaded, which got me excited. So now I'll waste, er, invest too much time researching this again. LOL The Clipper specs say 1650 lb dry, so loaded seems like it would be 1900+ loaded. If we use our 2013 Prius Plug In, we do have the option of putting some of the weight in the back of it in lieu of in the trailer.

Anyway, excited about looking into this again. ( I only re read pages 1-3 & 9-current)

markabele likes this.
  12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  13. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG0028A.jpg IMG0029A.jpg
    One of my many camping trips.(y)

IMG0030A.jpg
    This is my moving day!!

As you can see, the Prius can tow. :cool:
    The trailer I'm using is heavy enough to carry a full size vehicle; but I would not do that.;)

mrbigh likes this.
  14. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Personally for cargo trailer I want a Triton aluminium trailer if I needed one.

15. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree; the lighter it is, the better it is to tow!!(y)

16. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just went up a big grade with 1250lbs.

Nice when trucks also go up slow so I can just go up with them.

I did have to rev her to 3500rpm to go up at 33mph

17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A picture would be awesome. Is this in your C?

18. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  19. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is best to build up your speed before hitting a big grade.(y)
    In the long run, it will be less RPM's.:cool:

20. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I come in at about 60-65 mph then it will start to drop like a rock. On this particular grade it was long.

Once you have lost the speed from bleeding down you have to go up slow unless you want to hold the pedal at 100%?

#260 priusCpilot, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015