1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius pulling an RV? What do you pull !!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by engerysaver, Jun 16, 2013.

1. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just did a tow total weight of 1650lbs with me included.

When through the grapevine which is pretty tough on cars. Temps were 100f.

Engine temp 190-194f

Inverter went to 112f and dropped down.

Mg1 hit 262 then went down. It only spiked when I let off the throttle.

It was mostly in the 230-250f range when I was climbing.

Now here is the interesting part. On the way back I lost 1350lbs but temps were almost the same?

Mg1 hit 252f with the weight of two people?

Even under normal use mg1 does climb in temp.

Odd that it's not much different when I had the heavier load?

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Show's the fan was doing it's job I presume.

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a hill? If so, how high, how steep?
    What's the safe limit on MG2 temperature? I worried about that while climbing up to 5400+ feet to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway a couple of weeks ago.

4. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Warning thresholds:
    MG 1 is 162C or 323F
    MG 2 is 168C or 334F
    Page 4 in this thread, you can see my results.:)

6. paul6050

paul6050 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I installed a CURT trailer hitch and custom wiring harness on my 2010 Level 4 Prius at 16,500 miles. I towed a 4x8 Harbor Freight heavy duty utility trailer with a 4 x 8 by 2 ft tall plywood box on the trailer. I carry a ladder, tools and wire in it and drove from Milwaukee to Philly all the time. I drove 70 - 75 mph and didn't really feel it behind me. But I always use the PWR MODE setting so I didn't lug the engine. At 220,000 miles, my CVT went out. That was 2 weeks ago. So I would tell people, you can pull a trailer. I think the CVT went out more because I never changed the fluid than pulling the trailer, but I don't know for sure. But I'm happy with the car lasting 220,000 miles. It would cost about $2,000.00 to have the Toyota dealer install a used CVT. As a mechanical engineer, I would say towing anything over 1,000 pounds is too much for the brakes and the regenerative braking system. Heck, the new RAV4 is only rated at 1,500 lbs towing capacity!

PS: I was stopped by a PA State Trooper one time, who said he stopped me because he didn't think you could pull a trailer with a Prius! I told him I didn't have to drill any holes to mount the hitch so I figured it was OK. But then he said, "How do I know you're not overloaded?" So I opened the box and showed him the ladder and stuff. But then he still gave me a ticket for not having my safety chains crossed, even though he researched it on his in-car computer terminal with printer and found that isn't required in WI and the chains are only attached to the trailer at one point.....I think he gave me a ticket to fulfill his Memorial Day weekend ticket quota!!!!

#266 paul6050, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  7. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    220,000 on original oil was your downfall.

I am even switch to Redline D6 for even better thermal breakdown resistance.

8. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    PricusC

Is RedLine D6 compatible with WS ?

9. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it is very much so but difference is the less calcium it has over WS. Calcium is used for it to last longer but it is also a mineral that causes increased wear. People have posted about it on different websites.

10. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless a long term study were done of pulling a trailer vs not pulling one, we'll never know how much damage is done.

and just like driving without a trailer, driving style, temp, trailer size/weight, topography and etc. will have so much effect, someone else's experience will not likely translate into yours.

12. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :cool:I'm still towing my RV!!:)Just change my plugs at 76,000 miles. The plugs looked OK, but since I went through all that unscrewing the bolts ...... I changed them anyway.(y)

13. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's my trailer:

[​IMG]

MidnightSun and engerysaver like this.
  14. Robin McGee

Robin McGee New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    image.jpg
    Hello, I have read through this thread with great interest and thank you for starting it. We have been driving Prius since 2004. My wife Robin has a 2008 with 260,000 km and my 2013 has 130,000 km. We recently put a deposit on a Safar Condo Alto 1743 which should weigh about 1850 pounds dry. I have been considering options for pulling it and your experience has provided hope that my Prius might just be able to handle it. If we travel on secondary roads, and keep the speed below 90 km/h with the tanks empty, it sounds like we may be fine. I am thinking of a levelling hitch rather than the airbag springs, I just ordered a ScanGauge II and would get a torquelift hitch with 2" opening. We would set up the 2013 for towing, sell the 2008 and get a new 2015 or 6.
    The other options We are keeping open are to get a new Mazda CX-5 instead of the Prius and use that for the towing (taking a hit on our daily driver mileage), or get the new Prius and put some money into prepping our son's 1988 Volvo 240 Wagon (rust free) to do the towing.

Based on your experience, and the fact that this trailer seems to be a bit heavier than yours, do you have any specific advice? We live in Nova Scotia, but would like to eventually do some serious travelling with this trailer.

Thank you, Andrew & Robin

15. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I say, Go for it!! You will take a large hit in MPG.

16. Robin McGee

Robin McGee New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered my Firestone kit to prepare for towing my Alto Camper trailer. I was thinking about the neater and easier Tee tubing routing that you describe here, but am concerned that having the two air bags linked that way, might make for less stable road manners. If you are taking a turn or swerving, the load on one side can transfer air to the other such that you lose support on the side that needs it most and adds air to the side you would rather keep down. Have you had a chance to assess this?

17. Robin McGee

Robin McGee New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you given any consideration to a weight distribution hitch? I understand that you are using the airbags for re-leveling the car, but what about swerve stability? You have mentioned towing at some pretty high speeds, how was the yaw stability and bounce at those speeds? Also, does your trailer have brakes?

Thanks!

18. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Oh wow the Alto! The finest light wight trailer trailer EVER made!

I just pulled 1200lbs in 100+f for 800 miles and temps were so low!!

Anyhow I love my T fitted air bags. No issues thus far. I can't see how one side will get more air and squish down and teeter about.

Also, it would be better if you get the Alto with the adjustable roof. You will have less drag.

You have a scan gauge? Can't wait to hear back once you tow.

I decided to save up for a roof tent so I can tow my Jetski around NA and be able to sleep.

19. tplife

tplife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, they don't transfer the pressure from side to side in turns. The maintain a balance of pressure. The factory shocks have dampening valves that prevent that kind of weight transfer in turns. The T fitting just makes it easier to adjust pressure. We're going up and down or across the local mountains to camp or hit the desert with the ATV guys in Glamis and no issues.

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A