1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Qi and the iPhone X

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aforkosh, Nov 4, 2017.

1. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's not about single coil vs dual coil, as the more coils just gives you a bigger landing pad to plop your phone on without hitting the sweet spot. It's pretty much just the limitations of wireless charging technology. I doubt the wireless charger is even a (high wattage) fast wireless charger AND even if it is, most(all) phones turn off fast wireless charging when the phone's screen is on (utilized for maps, etc...).

If you plan to use your phone (no matter the brand, ecosystem, etc) for navigation, etc...your best bet is to just have it physically plugged in, as it creates less heat (which is also another reason why your phone will stop/not charge when on qi charging while apps/screen are being used) AND will actually charge the phone.

You all need to understand technology better before crying foul.

And 2.4A chargers are so yesterday, get a good QC 3.0 adaptive charger or even adaptive power delivery car chargers.

Well, if you're paying more than $100 for a "mobile phone" ($1k+ for a iphone 10), it had better have much more features than just a phone and messaging app. Also the trend of the market for a decade now has been that people are doing less phone calls (heck even sms texting) and more data hungry than ever (hence carriers offering unlimited call/texting for nearly a decade now, but data still being capped no matter the "unlimited" gimmick there is).

Just so you know, everyone and their mom knows that apple cheaped out on the isheeps when it came to providing a fast charging power block to their overpriced iphones of 2017. And also the math is that most wireless chargers can outputt at least 10watt (if you use the right high power brick and not the cheap low power iphone power brick)...which is 2amps X 5volts = 10watts

And do you even know what you're talking about wireless chargers outputting less than 1 amp, lol, it's all in the formula of adaptive chargers, the less amperage would mean the more voltage to get the right wattage that the charger's suppose to output (or the phone wants to really draw), or else you're going to just waste your time plugging in your phone to the 1amp 5volt brick that comes along with your $1000 phone and just be stuck to the wall outlet all day.

Only thing apple's qi charging pad will do (so far from the news and the concept pictures along with the limitations of the technology) is wirelessly charge multiple devices at once, which again is a gimmick in itself when apple doesn't even provide the right high powered power brick to go along with their product. You're going to need a pretty high powered power brick to provide the right amount of power for that kind of wireless charging pad along with the fact that you might as well also use that charging pad as a heater pad too, because multiple devices drawing 10watt+ each wirelessly is going to be pretty hot.

#21 SwhitePC, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  2. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The display and the radios (cellular, Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi) are the components that typically use the most battery in phones.

Use a reputable brand of plug in charger and cable that is correctly certified for your device. Cheap charging equipment doesn't work well and can damage your phone.

I deal with this daily, I do tech support for an Android handset manufacturer.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  3. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Currently, none of the Qi chargers can provide enough juice to the X or 8, for that matter, to allow both streaming audio and navigation. I've tried a number of different ones and they all fall short, including desktop models.

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I have said in another thread, Qi charging at the moment is little more than a gimmick IMHO. :unsure:

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So old school... :p

Seriously, the "phone" has moved on eh? I can remember as a kid, making a call to Holland with my Mom 'n Dad, man that was a big event. No satellites in those days, this wall-mounted bakelite contraption, party-lines...

RCO likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    International operator, trying to connect you now. Hold the line please.... Prrrrrrrrr..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its not a gimmick, it works well on my desk and at night when I charge my phone. The problem is that Qi can't yet provide enough power while using high usage apps, and especailly using GPS, display, Bluetooth, and cellular data at the same time.

RCO likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I agree. For slow charging only it IS absolutely fine, but for use in the car with any app running you're . better off using a good usb cable.

I assumed that this forum was largely focused on the car rather than the bedroom. ;)

9. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium

No problems with the iPhone falling out. I check the Kenu locking maybe once a week, if you turn the phone it might loosen over time.