1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Radio Problem

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Kritesh Chand, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Kritesh Chand

Kritesh Chand New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

Can anyone advise regarding my car radio. Toyota Prius is new in our country and we have less experts in the field in Fiji.

I have Toyota Prius, Model: 2010, NHW20 or 1.5L model.

I drove my car and radio was working untill I parked safely at home in the evening, radio was working fine. Next morning I turned on the car, it turned on but the radio didn’t turned on.

The main screen is working, all buttons on it is working fine…when I press radio button, its says “AUDIO OFF”.

I checked this with technicians in my country and they said I need to change the whole radio. That was shocking to me as they said that only by turning on the car and said fuse is ok but radio needs to be changed.

I would like to seek second opinion from experts like you to be sure why my radio failed and what are the possible ways to fix that up.

I will appreciate your feedback.

Kind Regards

Kritesh Krishneel Chand.

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It is true that by international agreement there are differences in radio frequencies. This is to reduce or eliminate interference and facilitate proper frequency management. I am certainly not an authority on said agreements or knowledgeable on what is used where. The fact that your radio worked perfectly fine one day and not the next might be pointing to some other problem. Two things come to mind. The easiest is to check the external antenna mounting for corrosion. It unscrews from the mount with the first few turns being indexed to keep the antenna from loosening by itself. If there is rust, clean the threads as best you can and coat with a dielectric grease. The next possibility would be the 12V battery, which when low or discharged will cause all sorts of electrical problems in the car. You can check that yourself, following the plethora of guidance on the subject here in PC, or take it to a mechanic of your choice for a load test.

RCO likes this.