1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius ranks at top of Consumer Reports survey

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mediahound, Dec 18, 2013.

1. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Exactly the opposite ... If you can buy a new Prius with incentives and great financing for the same or even within $50-100 of the monthly payment of a late model used one .... What do you think will happen to the demand for used late model Prii ... And consequently their value .... either as a trade in or in used retail ?????

Couple that with incentives/finance deals on other high mpg cars .... Like the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus .... At a $5-7K savings, and you now have great downward pressure on Prius .... Especially used Prius ..... costs.

It's just what I've learned and observed in the last few years ... Personally with the Mazda 3 .... And owning BOTH ... And experiencing BOTH ... I have to say ... The Prius is looking less and less attractive when you add it to the mix of current high mpg non hybrid cars, in fun factor, performance, build quality, and quality of materials.

I'll keep the Prius for awhile, but I doubt very much if I'd buy another one. The competition is just too strong anymore at the current pricing scheme.

REV

2. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had to use the quote marks button in the format bar and copy and paste. How archaic. I'm using a touchscreen Win8 machine and thought it was the tile browser, so I switched to desktop IE, but Reply still didn't quote the post.

This reply is using Chrome, worked like a charm. The problem was IE. Go figure.

3. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see the difference. You are talking about where you predict prices on used will go. I thought you were talking about the present. You could be right.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to say you're talking like me and Troy but he already noted. In some states like VA, CA, ME, AZ there is also quite a large tax bite on the cost delta between Prius/Mazda3, but you don't see it unless you do a 10-yr tax calc. Simply put, some states total car tax bite aproaches 15-20%. For some reason Prii still flying off the shelves in high car tax states but does seem like a Prii killer could come along soon, and it might not be a hybrid or plug-in. Plug_in might compete better with the Federal incentives and cheaper electric vs. gaso.

Certainly if you are one who puts on 20000+ mile/yr the hybrid starts to pay off handsomely. But what about the 12000 mile per year driver? that's where the hybrid math is starting to fall apart. Funny CR in 2006 almost every issue said hybrids do not make sense financally, now CR have become believers but I do not know if that's political correctness or logical thinking. I am thinking the former is partially true, I feel like they have given green cars somewhat of a break in recent years, in part because their hybrid-semi-skeptic views of 2005/2006 did not hold up well. But gaso prices went up so high the hybrid math worked for a while.

5. pfour2131

pfour2131 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Definitely love our Prius! No Complaints!