1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius "rear view mirror" clobbered but the door needs to be replaced.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jendbbay, Oct 4, 2013.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I just returned from getting an estimate for replacing the rear view mirror on the passenger side of our Prius. The impact seems to have struck right on the door area where the beam is. The body shop guy says that there are ways to tell if they have to replace the door or not.

1. How much give is there when you push on the door right ove the bar area. If there's significant give, that tells you that the beam/bar was affected.
    2. You open the door and look at the outside, inner edge of the door jam and there's this squarish area that is obviously torqued.

He says the insurance companies rule this a door that must be replaced.

My own bias is to replace the door, because I value safety, and the guy said that the next time the door is hit, as in a t-bone accident, it is not clear whether the airbags will properly deploy, or over-deploy or not deploy and immediately shrink back correctly, etc. I don't want the car to be unsafe.

I did not do this damage, my husband did, and I don't know exactly what happened. It sounds like he pulled into some parking space and was later backing out and didn't straighten his tires before backing and just impacted immediately at the door and also took the mirror off.

So I want opinions. Does the idea that we have to replace the door make sense to you all. There's some significant, though shallow denting, at least a foot wide, and at least a foot or more tall. The guy said that if it didn't fail these two tests, listed above, it would be much cheaper to fix. They would apply a new skin.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, your DH is an ID 10T? ;)

SCH-I535 now Free

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would suggest that safety comes first. Do what is right so all protection devices are in proper order, ie: replace the door etc. etc.