1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Recall due to floor mats? 2 yrs ago Prius owners said there's more to it than that...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by steve44, Sep 30, 2009.

1. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/toyota_prius_mats.html

Two years ago the same recall happened. However prius owners said there's more to it than a floor mat getting in the way of the gas peddel. It's a cruise control issue it seems....read the article for more details.

Is this STILL happening with the 2010 models?

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Quite interesting!... I makes you wonder if the whole "real" issue is hush hush and when you take it in, they don't do some reflashing or other modification to fix the real problem.

Sorry, just my suspicious nature with anything to do in the business world.

This happening to people with no mats is quite scary.

So, when you bring your car in, does the dealer simply hand you some hooks and show you how to put them on if you don't have them and if you already have the hooks installed tell you all is well and send you on your way?

I called my dealer this morning and he wanted the vin numbers to see if my car fell into the recall list..... also interesting.. I didn't know there were any that "didn't" during the stated time frame of years.

3. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Consumer Affairs has no credibility whatsoever. It's a site run by a consortium of scum-sucking-litigation-experts looking for hints of class actionable situations. They do no testing and they have no expertise in any field whether autos, drugs, toys, consumer goods or anything else.

The site is there for anyone who has a gripe to complain. Consumer Affairs has nothing to do with Consumer Reports or any other group except a similar-sounding name.

1 person likes this.
  4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL!... Hey Deadphish... I like your "tell it like it is" attitude!

If we had more of that, instead of being so politically correct, there wouldn't be so much trash going on all around us!

5. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This isn't a Prius recall, it's a Toyota/Lexus recall that happens to include some Priuses (not Gen III's). This thread is in the wrong forum.

6. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the "Today Show" this morning, the recall was prompted by a fatal crash in California They didn't say which model car was involved. I had a 2006 Prius that had "unintended acceleration' problems (see my thread somewhere on here or My Prius Tried to Kill Me! Runaway Acceleration: Toyota’s Dirty Little Secret « Moving As Fast As I Can which is my description of the problem.

Toyota has consistently either denied the problem exists or blames it on floormats. In my case, floormats were ruled out, So, they claimed that since they couldn't reproduce the problem at the dealer, then they couldn't comment. I filed a NHTSA report and did some research. I found over 200 similar claims against 2004-2008 Prius (I ran out of energy and didn't do 2009).

I don't think it is credible to believe that bunched floor mats are at the bottom of these problems. I am disappointed that Toyota is takng such a "Detroit" attitude about this serious issue.

Note: The last incident I had with unintended acceleration was in May 2009. In July I took delvery of a 2010 Prius. I traded in the one that gave me the trouble.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thats the part that perplexes me?
    If its only "some" prius, what makes the floor mats an issue on one vin number and not another?

My point is, it may have nothing to do with floor mats! :rolleyes:

I know it just looks like I"m stirring up trouble to some folks, but mostly to those who are trying to cover something up!

I grow weary of having to read between the lines to know the truth because its so far buried.

Why are they blaming it on floor mats, because its a cheap easy fix to get the media to get the heat off?

Having a car stick at "full" throttle that won't rectify no matter what you do, then to magically fix itself upon reboot is more than floor mats.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, it always takes a fatal crash to prompt an open response and even then its cover-up.

The throttle is pretty close to the throttle on a steering wheel/foot pedal setup you would hook to your computer and play with your kids... its software driven. I"m assuming driven with an [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuator"]actuator[/ame].

From the article in the above post.

I respect Toyota's reputation, but I don't respect trying to maintain it by hiding from the media "as cruel as they can be" or the truth.

Sadly, I see Toyota's dilemma in this screwed up world of cut throat and blood thirsty dog eat dog lawsuits.

If you plead "Not guilty", they do their best to mark a notch and hang you with due process, if you plead "guilty" they hang you higher and faster!

What happened to mercy and realizing that people and companies aren't perfect and everybody just needs to be honest and give each other a break?

I guess those days are long gone. :confused:

9. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Problem is lawyers out to get a big settlement, usually a class action suit even and guess who really comes out on top. The masses who own the device get $50 and the lawyers get millions.

Many car companies have had unintended acceleration issues and reporducing the problem is usually elusive.

What does happen though is the consume/car owner now suffers a big drop in trade in-book value on their car. Usually a few thousand dollars even and like I said the settlement is like $50-$100 while the lawyers get rich.

10. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Fyi

Toyota Consumer Advisory

Quality Compliance /TMS Toyota Customer ServiceTo: All Toyota Dealers

Toyota Consumer Safety Advisory
    Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal
    ******URGENT******

Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. takes public safety very seriously. It believes its vehicles to be among the safest on the road today.

Recent events have prompted Toyota to take a closer look at the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position due to an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat. A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death.

Toyota considers this a critical matter and will soon launch a safety campaign on specific Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Throughout the process of developing the details of the action plan, it will advise the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Today, we are releasing the attached Toyota Consumer Safety Advisory to our customers. Until Toyota develops a campaign remedy, we are asking owners of specific Toyota and Lexus models to take out any removable drivers floor mat and NOT replace it with any other floor mat. The following models are affected:

2007 2010 Camry
    2005 2010 Avalon
    2004 2009 Prius
    2005 2010 Tacoma
    2007 2010 Tundra
    2007 2010 ES350
    2006 2010 IS250 and IS350

In the event owners choose not to remove their floor mat, Toyota strongly recommends that they ensure that the correct floor mat is being used, that it is properly installed and secured, that it is not flipped over with bottom-side up, and that one floor mat is not stacked over another. Information on proper floor mat installation can be found on http://www.toyota.com and http://www.lexus.com.

If a customer requires your dealerships assistance, please assist them by utilizing the attached instructions and application chart.

Please direct all customer inquiries to the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331 or Lexus Customer Experience Center at 1-800-255-3987.

Toyota/Lexus Consumer Safety Advisory Q&A
    Q1: Is this Toyota/Lexus Consumer Safety Advisory a recall?
    A1: This is a Consumer Safety Advisory based on the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position due to an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat on certain Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Q2: Why did Toyota issue the Consumer Safety Advisory?
    A2: Recent events have prompted Toyota to take a closer look at the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position due to an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat. A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle which could cause a crash, serious injury or death.

Q3: Was there a specific incident related to the Consumer Advisory?
    A3: On August 28th, 2009, California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Saylor and three members of his family tragically lost their lives on a highway near San Diego, California, while driving a 2009 ES350 loaned to them by a local Lexus dealer.

Preliminary information from law enforcement investigators indicates that the ES350 involved in the crash contained a drivers all-weather floor mat from a different model Lexus. If incompatible drivers floor mats are installed in any vehicle, or if the floor mat is not properly secured by the retaining hooks, this could cause it to interfere with the accelerator pedal.

Q3a: Electronic systems, such as drive by wire, have been suggested as a possible culprit in the persistence of sudden unintended acceleration incidents. Is this part of the investigation of the San Diego accident.
    A3a: All aspects of the vehicle are being studied, but preliminary indications are that an all weather floor mat not designed for the ES350 was installed at the time of the Saylor crash. We have seen no evidence that electronic engine control systems were the cause.

Q4: Which models and model years are impacted?
    A4: Toyota
    2007 2010 Camry
    2005 2010 Avalon
    2004 2009 Prius
    2005 2010 Tacoma
    2007 2010 Tundra

Lexus
    2007 2010 ES350
    2006 2010 IS250 and IS350

Q4a: How many vehicles are involved?
    A4a: We are currently determining the number of vehicles.

Q5: Is Toyota planning another recall for the all-weather floors mats or other components as a result of this Consumer Advisory?
    A5: Toyota considers this a critical matter and will soon launch a safety campaign on specific Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Throughout the process of developing the details of the action plan, it will advise the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Until we develop a campaign remedy, we recommend that owners remove any driver-side floor mat from the specific models identified and NOT replace it with any other floor mat.

Q5a: Why didn't the previous all-weather floor mat recall alleviate this problem?
    A5a: The previous floor mat recall was aimed at replacing accessory all weather floor mats with a newly designed one as well as advising users not to place all weather mats on top of any other floor mats. Despite this effort, unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mats can present a hazard and Toyota is exploring remedies that can further reduce the likelihood of an crash that could result from misinstallation.

Q6: What should customers do?
    A6: Toyota is committed to finding the right solution for this condition. Until the campaign remedy is developed and customers receive notice from Toyota, we request that customers take out any removable drivers floor mat and NOT replace it with any other floor mat.

Q6a: What if a customer chooses not to remove their floor mat?
    A6a: In the event a customer chooses not to remove their floor mat, Toyota strongly recommends that they ensure that the correct floor mat is being used, that it is properly installed and secured, that it is not flipped over with bottom-side up, and that one floor mat is not stacked over another. Information on proper floor mat installation can be found on Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories and Lexus: New Luxury Cars and SUVs from Lexus USA.

Q6b: What if a customer requires assistance in checking the floor mat?
    A6b: If a customer chooses not to remove their floor mat and requires assistance, they may check with any local Lexus or Toyota dealership's Parts or Service Department to verify the application. Dealers will re-install only those floor mats designed specifically for that model and model year.

Q6c: What if a customer needs retaining hooks (clips)?
    A6c: Replacement retaining hooks (clips) for Lexus and Toyota carpeted and all-weather floor mats are available at any Lexus or Toyota dealership. Please check with the dealer for details.

Q7: What if a floor mat is an aftermarket rubberized floor mat?
    A7: Driver's floor mat interference is possible in any make or model vehicle with any combination of floor mats. Therefore, consumers need to make sure the floor mats are compatible for their model and model year. Also, they need to be sure they are properly secured using the appropriate retention device (clips). Drivers floor mats should never be stacked. Consumers should never place any floor mat aftermarket or not -- on top of another drivers floor mat. Mats should also not be flipped over with the bottom-side up.

Q8: What if a driver experiences accelerator pedal interference. What should they do?
    A8: Should the vehicle continue to accelerate rapidly after releasing the accelerator pedal, this could be an indication of floor mat interference. If this occurs, Toyota recommends the driver take the following actions:

First, if it is possible and safe to do so, pull-back the floor mat and dislodge it from the accelerator pedal; then pull over and stop the vehicle.

If the floor mat cannot be dislodged, then firmly and steadily step on the brake pedal with both feet. Do not pump the brake pedal repeatedly as this will increase the effort required to slow the vehicle. If you are still unable to stop the vehicle, then do the following:

Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.

If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.

-If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.

-If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.

Q8a: Why does the Engine Start/Stop button require 3 seconds to shut off?
    A8a: This is to prevent accidentally shutting off the engine in case the button is bumped or mistaken for another control. The resulting loss of engine power could cause a loss of the power assist to the brakes and steering, and possibly an unsafe situation.

Q9: What if an owner has additional questions or concerns?
    Owners with questions or concerns, are asked to please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center (1 800 331-4331) or Lexus Customer Assistance Center (1 800 255-3987), or consult the information posted at http://www.toyota.com and http://www.lexus.com.

2 people like this.
  11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I agree... and that's why if the problem was identified, located and fixed honestly out in the open, the public's faith in future purchases as well as used and or trade-ins would be restored and maintained.

This maintenance of faith and trust would keep the prices very close to the top as people respect a company that aggressively attacks any imperfections or dangerous flaws.
    Toyota has a phenomenal record of accomplishments with the cutting edge technology they have done.

I think people would forgive honest mistakes that were fixed.

People "don't" forgive dishonest cover-ups and will remember it next time they think about the word "Toyota".

Maybe I'm a dreamer... but I respect any man or company that fesses up to his or her mistakes and does what they can to make them good.... doesn't everybody?

And which is cheaper for Toyota?.. paying the lawyers in a class action lawsuit or paying for the fix and doing an honest recall with no lawsuits?

I think they are avoiding both.

12. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So someone else who doesn't drive like you will probably experience the same problem and he/she or others may be injured as a result.

I feel that you should have totaled the car or somehow destroyed the cruise control so it had to be completely replaced.

On the other hand it may not be too late to track down the buyer and warn him or her to be on the lookout for the problem.

13. lecounte

lecounte New Member

Model:
    IV
    Are they checking the VIN to see if you bought the mats with the car?

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Nope.... he was aware of the problem for a while now.. he implied that only some vehicles qualify.

I haven't called him back yet with my vin numbers.

15. mainliner

mainliner New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Toyota Consumer Safety Advisory is not VIN specific, it covers certain models, from certain years.

16. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I thought about that. But since: 1. A Toyota dealer said no problem could be found, and 2. I traded it back to a Toyota dealer who has access to all service records, my responsibility is done.

I can't afford to total or fix a problem in a car under warranty that I no longer own. The new buyer will see the service record when he/she registers on the toyota owners site.

17. madelinesonja

madelinesonja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of the first thing I noticed is that none of my (all-weather) floor mats are secured -- I have to reposition the driver's side mat every time I get in the car because it ends up too far forward from stepping on it when getting in and out. Is this something I should call the dealer about?

18. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

YES,
    Mine came with mats when I bought it. There are hooks/clips
    that do retain the front mats in position. I would stop at the dealer as soon as possible to get the retaining hooks/clips installed.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They will give you the two hooks that fasten the mats to the drivers floorboard for free if you ask.
    I don't think the other 3 mats have that and its no worry for them anyway.

But first, check to see if you have them.
    Normally those hooks come with the floor mats, they forget to give them to you sometimes.. but make sure you look in the bottom of the glove box for a small plastic bag with the hooks in them.. thats one of the favorite places they put them. Also the center console and if all else fails, look in the back storage are on the extreme left corner where the little cubby hole is at.

20. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Adding two carefully-placed holes (and suitable grommets) to most not-too-large mats, and then using the Toyota "hooks" would probably work well, right?