1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Recall

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by greg4wv, Oct 13, 2005.

1. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Usually the electric engine will get you off the road, and sometimes several (read 5 or 6) restarts sometimes clears it. THat is what happened in our '04.

Our 05 is not in the VIN range.

2. tigertale

tigertale New Member

I wonder if they've added more VIN's to the recall. My VIN is not in the range listed, but when I called the 888 number I was told my car is affected. It's worth making the call!

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those of you who realized the dealerships are clueless:

Toyota hasn't really sent out much more than a couple sheets to dealerships saying what is to be done. Dealers probably won't have the grease in stock, most don't. The new reflash hasn't even been loaded into their technical system, so they don't have anything to do the recall yet. It will be a while, so I'm told, before they will be able to handle this stuff. They didn't have much notice about this from corporate the way it sounds. Wonder what's up with that?

Best bet: wait till you get the letter, then call the dealer and verify they are able to perform the repairs first. That gives them some lead time.

4. pycnanthemum

pycnanthemum New Member

Just called 1-800-331-4331 (thanks to the person who posted that!) and found out my 2005 Prius, purchased in March 2005, VIN 5700XXXX *IS* affected by the recall.

The woman I spoke with at Toyota said cards would be mailed out on Oct. 26th. She then recommended I visit toyota.com for more information...I laughed and told her I had just been there and found nothing about it, which was why I called her :). pressroom.toyota.com has the press release but I suspect it will be a few days before they have anything useful posted, like an online VIN checker.

5. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    chiral8,

My VIN is 50118xxx which I received Sep 23, 2004. I just double checked with Toyota that it is classified as a 2005 model car.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

In the grand scheme of things, chill. This Motley Fool article said it best: http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05101425.htm

(On the other hand my VIN is not one of concern, so I guess they fixed the problem before I got it, or not enough of my ilk have had the problem....?)

7. 04PRIUSPILOT

04PRIUSPILOT New Member

Not long after purchase of an early 04 it was recalled to have a strip of rubber glued to the underside of the hood to increase enging/electronics protection from heavy rain. I think this was in December 04.

The service manager said I needed a software update. It took about forty minutes for the update and the reboot.

Do you think this is the same update required as a result of the recent recall?

Anyone have any ideas? :(

8. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just checked the VIN on our '05, built in May of this year. It is between two of the number ranges for the B20U1 group, but not included. Apparently, the serializing is not sequential by manufacture date.

9. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I CHECKED THE DRIVER-SIDE BLACK STICKER IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. THE DATE OF MANUFACTURE WAS 04/05, OUT OF THE RECALL RANGE. i FOLLOWED UP WITH A CALL TO THE 800 NUMBER AND THEY CONFIRMED IT. WHEW! a CLOSE CALL ON THE RECALL.

10. davidstdy

davidstdy Guest

I called about our 2005.....sounds like nothings due with our VIN 5704XXXX

11. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    looks like my VIN falls in the range, however, the date doesnt...mine was built in july 2004...i see the dates are from august on...so which is it? according to the vin checker site and need the reflash...so it looks like it also pre august 2004...

12. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    never mind the last post of mine...i see aug 2003 as the olderst time ...i misread it as aug 2004...

13. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just heard about this from the Inventory Manager as he came in this morning. As usual, the general public finds out before the dealerships. I checked on TIS and guess what; as of noon ( I left early today ) I could find no info on any new recalls. Just like every other recall, we are the last to know. I have read more info here tonite then I knew this morning. And I would hate to be the one manning the hot line at Toyota. Bet it has been ringing off the hook, :lol: . Just once it would be nice for the techs/dealers to know about something before the public. I would not want to be a service writer right now. "You say you have a recall? Hmm? Don't know anything about any recall." Then the owner procedes to think the dealer isn't worth going back to. Hope this recall doesn't bring a stampede of owners to the dealer. I already have had sales people asking me the past few months about the Prius shutting down because of possible new owners being scared or heard about it.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

WR,
    Don't sweat it, they'll never know the mods have been done and likely wouldn't know what they were if somehow they happened upon the wires and if they did know what they were they couldn't care less.

The software update involves plugging into the CAN plug under your dash by the accelerator and running the program/flash.

The grease is under the hood. There's no need for them to pull off any trim or anything.

I've had my EV button for nearly a year, a NAV speed sensor over ride for nearly as long, a Bluetooth phone override circuit for about a year or so, and any number of other various mods/wires and quirks and never got a word crosswise. Closest ever was with my MFD replacement and the service writer said "We didn't know what those extra wires back there were, but that's your business."--end of conversation.

15. gadgeholic

gadgeholic New Member

My 2005 Prius just died on me tonight. Towed to Toyota. I'll find out what's wrong and report back. I just had my 1 year service last week. 7,500 miles. I hope the recall covers this.

16. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

get the codes that they retrieve from the computer and post them here, please and someone will confirm what has happened.

17. gadgeholic

gadgeholic New Member

I'll ask and do what I can.

18. berkley

berkley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    not that I don't believe you but........I couldn't find this on the Toyota site, where did you find this data??

PS: glad we have this site....more info than anywhere else!!!!

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, at this point there are like 5 parallel threads on this same topic...
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11470
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11419
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11435
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11450
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11480
    and I've already confused myself as to which one I'd posted in previously,
    and fired a followup into a different one. I suggest we pick ONE of
    the above to continue discussion, and let the others terminate here.
    How about the first of these, entitled "The Official Prius SSC50P
    Campaign Doc", which seems to have the most hard info about it?
    That's http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11470
    _H*

20. martoof

martoof New Member

everyone -
    I just registered & this is my 1st post. I called my Toyota dealership today to ask when I should bring in my Prius because of the stalling recall. I was told the dealership "had been told nothing yet by Toyota" and that I should wait for a mailing. Does this seem S.O.P.? I didn't expect them to jump at working on my Prius (which is fine) for no $$, but I wonder if "waiting" is prudent. Anyone out there know what process is to be followed? Thanks! -
    martoof