1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Reliability Statistics - Stay away from the 2004 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sparky9292, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are ratings from Consumer Reports... should I stay away from purchasing a Prius older than 2004? Looks like those Prius have some serious electrical issues...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet that score is almost exclusively due to the Multi-display issues. I'm not aware of any other major issues that I would consider "electrical system" in nature.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your thread title asks about staying away from the 2004, whereas the body of your message says older than 2004. Big difference -- 2004 is a different generation.

The 01-03 models have had a smattering of hybrid battery failures, which I'm guessing is what led to CR's downgrading for electrical issues. That still wouldn't necessarily keep me from buying one if the car was in good condition, though it might give me pause (and a reason to negotiate the price downward).

It it's the 2004 you're referring to, I agree with Efusco. The MFD issue would be much less of a concern to me, given that there's an inexpensive fix for it. I too know of no other electrical issues in the 2004s.

2 people like this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP -- did you notice the overall reliability marks at the bottom ?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had one other thought, there were a couple of SSCs for some electrical issues for some of the very early '04s. It's been so long I don't remember the specific numbers, but there was an issue where the car would go into "limp home mode" occasionally. A simple firmward flash fixed that issue.

As Jim points out, there's a huge difference b/w the '04 and the PRE-'04 Prius. You should clarify your question.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely have a certified Prius technician check over the car. Most of them are at Toyota dealers, and Toyota has proprietary diagnostic equipment which few independents have. So many things could be wrong with any modern car after even moderate damage, it's scary.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I once drove a Model A Ford and compared to a Model T, it was brilliant. Compared to what we have today, the Model A was one step above a Flintstone's car. But there comes a time when a car moves from being practical to an experiment and learning lab.

The 2001-03 Prius, NHW11, is certainly rapidly moving in that mode. We have a lot of data about how they work and insights about problem areas. The lessons learned from the NHW11 led to the NHW20, 2004-2009 and now the ZVW30, 2010 Prius.

If you really want to learn how the Prius works, an NHW11 is a great school, but it should not be the only transportation. If you want to enjoy the lessons learned, get a ZVW30 and treat it as a "magic box."

Bob Wilson

p.s. I started with a used, 2003 Prius bought in October 2005. We still have that car as well as a 2010 Prius. We sold the 2001 Echo.

8. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The thread title is a atrociously misrepresentative. Mods, please fix this.

9. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got an 08.. no problems noted..Im lovin it..

10. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much is it to have the car looked at by a prius certified tech? at the dealership?

11. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The reliability chart of the 04's shows decreasing reliability in the electronics. I had a bad time with my 04 prius with then 110 k miles just stopping dead on the road, the inverter electric cooling pump quit, overheated the inverter, and fuses were blown. I also had something smoke at the time, I doubt it was the pump, 35 k miles later I'm still not sure what all happened that day. Check on my profile for the message thread if interested.
    Anyway, would a failed inverter pump which causes the inverter to overheat and quit be an electrical issue or engine cooling issue for this graph. I would say an electrical issue. With increasing miles all models would be affected by this, just something for owners with older/high mileage cars to watch for, especially in the hot weather with increased electrical demand from the a/c.

12. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The 2004 is the first year of a neww generatiion. Just as thwe 2010 is the first year of a new generation. I have found that you should never buy the first year of a newly designed car.... that's where all the bugs are found. New style , new problems. Wait until the next year, a lot of the bugs will be worked out and it will be a better car. I couldn't ask for better in my 2007 package 6. It is the 4th year of that generation. Most bugs are worked out.;)

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    93,000 miles on my late year 2005. Zero problems and no warranty work.

14. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The thread title still sucks. Looking at the chart the 2004 reliability is above average in every category save one...where it is average. It looks favorable compared to the previous model.

15. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please interpret ConsumersReport data with a grain of salt.
    The data was collected from their subscribers only.
    The major issue is that consumersReport does not distinguish minor and major problems.
    A tail light recall could be interpreted as badly as MFD failure (both electrical). There is no weight put on each problem. It is a survery-based report.

Of cource, 1st year model has its share of problems more than subsequent years. That applies to all brands and all models.

16. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    90,000 miles on my 2005 and nothing done except new tires and oil changes. Brakes are still like new. I didn't bother with a warranty.

17. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true. They do the surveys both in the mail and online. The questions are like:

Did you experience an electrical problem with your 2003 Prius?
    Yes/No?

It would be way to complicated for them to specialize each survey for each car. Still pretty useful, I always check the survey results before buying a used car. Keeps me from buying lemons.

I always check the American cars first when I need a car, and it's always the same -- American sedan cars are the worst in reliability. Such a shame.:(

Yes and at the bottom, the overall reliability is maximum for any model Prius.

18. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    All cars as they get older have more problems. Do a comparison for all cars 2003 and older and then post those results. I would be shocked if a 2003 did not have problems that needed fixed out of warranty.:confused:

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 has been a shocker, piece of crap really. I had to spend $25 for repairs in the last 2 years, being a Toyota that disappoints me greatly.

20. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pat,
    Mine has been an absolute disaster. I only have 177k miles on it! So far I have had to change the oil about 10 times! 3 sets of tires! 4 Air filters and sometimes I even have to put gas in it!:eek:

I am in a constant state of alarm because in about 150k more miles I will have to replace the original brakes and spark plugs! Outrage! I might actually have to visit the dealership one day!

But seriously folks, the only problem was the MFD which went flaky 9 months ago. I snagged on on ebay for $150 and installed it myself. I never buy an extended warranty, mainly because I have never had a bad experience with any of my Toyotas, Hondas, Subaru's and Acura.