1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Residuals

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wvgasguy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just curious. I've always heard that on Toyota leases the options have different residuals so they have to look at the specific car to determine the lease cost.

What I'm wondering is now that I have a vehicle sheet, it shows a high and low residual for the various years. Are these the numbers they use on the leases? What is the difference in the high and low number?

This does highlight the need (advantage) of keeping your car longer than I normally do. The residual on my $30K car is only about $20 after 2 years but then only goes down $2K per year after that.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Port installed options do not affect TFS residuals (so you are paying for the full cost of them over the term of the lease), while the MSRP of the various models and packages do.

The STD residuals are for 15K miles/year, and the LOW are 12K.

If you haven't leased a car before, be sure to negotiate the purchase price first, then ask what the money factor & acquisition cost are. Don't fall for the game of focusing on the monthly payment. The calculation is straightforward (I posted an excel spreadsheet a while back).

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly. That, or buy a couple year old car.

I bought my Honda Civic 2 years old for $9500, and sold it 8 years later for $3500. That is a capital cost of $62.5 dollars a month in unadjusted dollars. I'm very optimistic that interesting stuff will be available for sale in 2025 when I replace my Prius.